C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Hazards wont shut-off, rear light issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Scotty76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Hazards wont shut-off, rear light issues

Hello Fighter Pilots:
Sent my Corvette out to have a new carpet put in. I am too big to be playing in the ****-pit.

When my bird returned the radio did not work. The installer told me he pulled the fuse (Ctsy Clk) as the rear compartment light was getting hot enough to melt the lens. I replace the fuse this afternoon and the hazards turned on and would not stop.

After searching around this and other forums I am going to start with a new brake light switch and a new turn-signal switch.

Can anyone make another suggestion??

Thanks for your help and keep flying!!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:41 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

More info please capt,
When you try to work the hazard switch what happens, does it work or feel limp/broken?

While it might not be related about 20 years ago I had a sears do an alignment, the tech was a big bulky fellow who busted the turn signal switch level off then to try to cover it just rammed in back in the column, where it dropped out,
When I go to leave, same thing my hazards went crazy, I putzed around with it enough to get it to stop flashing so I could get it home, sears paid for a new switch...

The way the rear lights work on a c3 where brake lamps are turn lamps the turn signal switch is the brain that controls brake lights or a turn lamp or hazards.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:51 AM
Scotty76
Instructor

Originally Posted by The13Bats
More info please capt,
When you try to work the hazard switch what happens, does it work or feel limp/broken?

While it might not be related about 20 years ago I had a sears do an alignment, the tech was a big bulky fellow who busted the turn signal switch level off then to try to cover it just rammed in back in the column, where it dropped out,
When I go to leave, same thing my hazards went crazy, I putzed around with it enough to get it to stop flashing so I could get it home, sears paid for a new switch...

The way the rear lights work on a c3 where brake lamps are turn lamps the turn signal switch is the brain that controls brake lights or a turn lamp or hazards.
Cool, I think I am on the right track then.
If I put the fuse in, the hazards wont stop switch on or off.
They must have nudged a wire in the carpet install.

I will update this once I am done.

Glad to see a fellow Orlandian on the forum.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

While it could be something related to carpet install I am betting it's someway the turn switch on the streering column,

So you live here too, I am in college park,
You ever hit old town or the fernpark cruise?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Scotty76
Instructor

Originally Posted by The13Bats
While it could be something related to carpet install I am betting it's someway the turn switch on the streering column,

So you live here too, I am in college park,
You ever hit old town or the fernpark cruise?
I go to old town but not yet with my white jet.
Hopefully, I will get this licked and be there soon.

Am going to the turkey run in Daytona this weekend!

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Hazards wont shut-off, rear light issues

Quick Reply: 1976 Hazards wont shut-off, rear light issues