C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI /Charcoal cannister

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 541 Posts

Default TPI /Charcoal cannister

Starting to gather up things for the TPI swap into my '78 S/A. Any thoughts on using the original 78 charcoal cannister or do I need to switch to a c-4 cannister with the elec purge valve? No emission checks here in SC and Engine will be all stock. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 PM
lonebull
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cannister

I run a early 90's Camaro TPI in a '29 Desoto & never even considered a canister. I haven't had any problems. Are you concerned about fumes? I have the original canister in my '78 so I know they serve a useful purpose- just thought I'd share my experience. Ain't openin' no can of worms either- just sharing. Maybe someone could tell us the difference in an older can & one from a early 90's Vette? I do know you need to service the can if its to do its job- fresh charcoal I believe. lonebull
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 PM
lonebull
Instructor

Default Cannister

On second view I see the difference is the electric purge. Do you know how it is wired into the TPI harness? Are you using an original harness or an aftermarket harness?
Old 04-15-2015, 06:45 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

I am going to get an aftermarket harness, no point in using wires from20 years ago. And that is why I am asking the question now. Most of these aftermarket guys will build whatever you want, so I need to figure out what I need. I guess the elec valve is the only difference between the years. I just don't want the garage smelling of gas but my experience is that most of that smell comes from a leaky carburetor which won't be an issue. I have a new filter in the old can from the '78 so maybe that's where I am headed. Thanks for sharing your experiences. The vacuum hook ups appear to be almost the same.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 AM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What computer are you going to use for your TPI swap? You should be able to run it either way.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:08 PM
lonebull
Instructor

Default TPI & Cannister

I can confirm that there is NO smell of gas in my garage without using the canister & I am running a TPI. The canister is just another item that might develop a vacuum leak down the road so I didn't use it. Do you have the reprogrammed chip for your computer already? I found a good source in AZ if I can find the contact info. Cost was less than $100! Let me know if you need one & I'll do some looking. Lonebull
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Lonebull, no I do not have a chip for the computer yet. Have started looking around and I am leaning to a one stop shop for the computer, chip & wiring, that way if somethign doesn't work, I know who to call! But any additional info would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

You can run your TPI computer without the carbon canister and there's a good reason to do so. One of the things that commonly fries a tpi computer is the carbon canister purge valve failing and this causes the computer to burn out as well. I'm going with TPI myself and while I like to keep all the emissions equipment there even though I don't have to have it I won't be having a carbon canister.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:32 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the input. I hadn't heard about the bad purge valve thing and I will look into it some more. But what did you do with the vent line coming off the gas tank. There have to be fumes coming out of it. thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Well, like you I am still collecting pieces to put TPI on my 79 so I haven't gotten that far in the planning as to what to do with the vent line coming off the gas tank. My husband is the mechanic and the one who told me about the purge valve going bad and taking the computer with it, so he'll be telling me what to do with that vent line as well - body work is my specialty, not mechanical.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:55 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You could probably get a canister purge solenoid from another application and use that with the 78 canister. I think the LT1 engines had the purge valve on the engine. Any small solenoid where you apply 12V and it opens would work.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

I am going to look into just using the original can. There's no elec to it, just vacuum.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

The original charcoal canister is overdue to be replaced so I'd suggest upgrading to make your install easier. The original canister is more complicated (there is also fuel bowl venting included). Install the newer C4 style canister and purge valve and call it a day. Here are a couple of pictures of how I first upgraded. I later change to a LS engine control system and swapped to a LS3 style of canister and mounted it back by the fuel tank (third picture).

Last edited by KENS80V; 04-20-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:35 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
I am going to look into just using the original can. There's no elec to it, just vacuum.
That's not a great plan since you'll introduce a vacuum leak the EFI isn't expecting when the canister is purging.

If the valve failing is a big concern for you then drive a Bosch style relay with the ECM and use the relay to drive the valve.

Get notified of new replies

To TPI /Charcoal cannister

Quick Reply: TPI /Charcoal cannister