C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Power Steering Box Reinforcement from Ridetech

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:38 PM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks good! Definitely easier to do when doing the box, but not terrible to put it on after.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:50 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Rodney,

I am going to change my upper control arms first then lowers with coil overs from Global West. Can I do something like this with your kit, buy uppers first then lowers later? I just don't want to dump 4K at once
Old 06-07-2016, 01:24 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Just ordered mine......
Old 06-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Any tricks to installing this? Are new (longer) bolts needed? Will I need to drop the header, disconnect lines, etc.?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Neil B
Any tricks to installing this? Are new (longer) bolts needed? Will I need to drop the header, disconnect lines, etc.?
Longer bolt are provided, and I didn't need to unbolt anything else but the steering box to install it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denpo:
bmans vette (06-08-2016), Classic Muscle (03-21-2021)
Old 06-17-2016, 01:01 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

I've got a Borgeson conversion planned between now and Christmas and I just stumbled across this thread: have the issues with tire rubbing been addressed yet?

Is this an issue with 255 width tires?

Having the tires rub just doesn't seem like a good idea...

I've been thinking that I'd rather go with a Borgeson box vs. a full rack and pinion conversion but my 79 hasn't been touched and I'm going to need a lot of front-end stuff done so the cost between the two gets closer every day.

I don't really want to choose between garbage steering, cracking a frame, or rubbing a hole in my tires -those all seem like terrible options and if those are really my options then spending a bit more money for a full rack and pinion conversion AND getting the weight savings all of a sudden seems like the way to go.

If I can get good tight steering, reduce the stress on the frame, and not have to worry about my tires rubbing with a borgeson conversion + bracket, then I'd prefer to go that route.

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 06-17-2016 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Classic Muscle (03-21-2021)
Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
I've got a Borgeson conversion planned between now and Christmas and I just stumbled across this thread: have the issues with tire rubbing been addressed yet?

Is this an issue with 255 width tires?

Having the tires rub just doesn't seem like a good idea...

I've been thinking that I'd rather go with a Borgeson box vs. a full rack and pinion conversion but my 79 hasn't been touched and I'm going to need a lot of front-end stuff done so the cost between the two gets closer every day.

I don't really want to choose between garbage steering, cracking a frame, or rubbing a hole in my tires -those all seem like terrible options and if those are really my options then spending a bit more money for a full rack and pinion conversion AND getting the weight savings all of a sudden seems like the way to go.

If I can get good tight steering, reduce the stress on the frame, and not have to worry about my tires rubbing with a borgeson conversion + bracket, then I'd prefer to go that route.

Thanks,
Adam
First time I heard of the tire rub issue. I have had my borgeson box for three years with zero issues running 225-15's. I will probable add the bracket some time in the future only for insurance. I still can't see how the borgeson box would be any different on the frame than the stock manual steering system.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:53 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Roadster71
First time I heard of the tire rub issue. I have had my borgeson box for three years with zero issues running 225-15's. I will probable add the bracket some time in the future only for insurance. I still can't see how the borgeson box would be any different on the frame than the stock manual steering system.
The rub issue is mentioned earlier in this thread and acknowledged by its' manufacturer. The rub issue isn't with the Borgeson box; it's with the bracket / bracket's bolts.

There were some requests for a recessed bolt to avoid rubbing but I never heard the MFGR report back here either way about it which is why I bought it up. -Because sloppy steering is bad, cracked frames are worse, and holes rubbed in tires are better than cracked frames but probably not as bad as sloppy steering. ---A rack and pinion conversion would be better than any of these.

I'd rather just do a borgeson+bracket install with a modified bracket design that doesn't result in the tires rubbing than any of those things, though.

Adam
Old 06-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed the box and bracket about 1500 miles ago and have 255's, the tire does rub on the bolts so I try not to do a full left turn. It only is noticed in parking situations.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
The rub issue is mentioned earlier in this thread and acknowledged by its' manufacturer. The rub issue isn't with the Borgeson box; it's with the bracket / bracket's bolts.

There were some requests for a recessed bolt to avoid rubbing but I never heard the MFGR report back here either way about it which is why I bought it up. -Because sloppy steering is bad, cracked frames are worse, and holes rubbed in tires are better than cracked frames but probably not as bad as sloppy steering. ---A rack and pinion conversion would be better than any of these.

I'd rather just do a borgeson+bracket install with a modified bracket design that doesn't result in the tires rubbing than any of those things, though.

Adam
I switched to pan-head bolts. It did give me just a little bit more clearance and also I feel better knowing the tire is hitting a rounded head rather than a hex.

I'm running 255/45-18s on my car. In regular driving, not an issue, but definitely a problem when trying to turn around on a crowded street.

Last edited by Shark Racer; 06-19-2016 at 11:11 AM.
NewbVetteGuy (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 11:58 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I'm going to throw this out there: Woudl it work to have this bracket just welded in place?

Could I do that and avoid the rub issue entirely, because I'd be totally fine with that.

Questions, comments, queries, concerns, or hate mail over this idea?

Adam
Old 07-30-2016, 01:47 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought this bracket. Wondering if there is any way to possibly modify this to use the carriage bolts instead of risking the tire rub. Has anyone tried something similar?
Old 08-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed my bracket this weekend. Not too bad of a job.

I used the factory original carriage bolts. No tire rub. The slots were wider than the end of the carriage bolt, but the way it went on, the bracket held the bolt still, and the nuts tightened up to torque spec no problem.

Seems to make a huge difference in the frame twist. My car has a weak frame in that area, and now having the frame sandwiched between the Borgeson and the Ridetech, it appears much stronger than it was before. The twisting was completely obvious before, but now seems to be almost nothing. Drives better. Good $75 spent.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:29 AM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner
I installed my bracket this weekend. Not too bad of a job.

I used the factory original carriage bolts. No tire rub. The slots were wider than the end of the carriage bolt, but the way it went on, the bracket held the bolt still, and the nuts tightened up to torque spec no problem.

Seems to make a huge difference in the frame twist. My car has a weak frame in that area, and now having the frame sandwiched between the Borgeson and the Ridetech, it appears much stronger than it was before. The twisting was completely obvious before, but now seems to be almost nothing. Drives better. Good $75 spent.

Glad you like it! It does stiffen it up quite a bit. We have been abusing the same setup in the 48 Hour Corvette for over a year now, and haven't had any problems.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Kevin BC
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Zero1Niner;1592759805]I installed my bracket this weekend. Not too bad of a job.

I used the factory original carriage bolts on the front two holes, but still have tire rub on hard left turn, but basically only in parking lot situations. 245/45/18 tires. 18x8 4" backspace.

It would be nice to not have the tire rub. Is there any way to modify the steering "stop"? I haven't looked for this or tried yet, but think this should be able to be done?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Kevin BC
Is there any way to modify the steering "stop"? I haven't looked for this or tried yet, but think this should be able to be done?
You absolutely can, here's a post from our local (NSW Corvettes) forum recently: http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/ind...c,11103.0.html

Originally Posted by Bfit
Mate you could look at adjusters on the full lock stops.
most stops I have seen are half warn away. Fitting adjustable stops will possibly bring the steering back in to normal range.
bfit
Originally Posted by Bfit
Here is a photo of adjustable stop, original stop is drilled and taped 3/8 UNF.
There is a lock nut on the inside, to maintain the setting. if I do this again I would move it up 3mm higher.

Bfit

Old 08-04-2016, 01:12 AM
Kevin BC
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
You absolutely can, here's a post from our local (NSW Corvettes) forum recently: http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/ind...c,11103.0.html
Thanks for this. Looks pretty straight forward to do
Old 08-04-2016, 02:01 AM
Kim72
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Been running the Bergeron box, c/w frame bracket, since they came out. Tires are BFG T/As, 255-60-15's on stock 8" rally rims. Changed out supplied bolts for stove head bolts (round head). They're easy to find. Yes, they can rub slightly on a locked left turn but that rarely happens and has never been a problem.

Quick Reply: C3 Power Steering Box Reinforcement from Ridetech