C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a Torqstorm Supercharger in a C3?

Old 05-14-2015, 03:23 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone use a Torqstorm Supercharger in a C3?

Hello all,
I am just about in a position to start working on my '76 again after a 6 year hiatus due to moving to Virginia, new job etc.

I have a '76 with a SB427 with a FAST xfi fuel injection setup and was wondering whether or not anyone has successfully mounted one of the Torqstorm passenger side mount Centrifugal setups? They sent me a diagram it just eyeballing it looks like it might be close if I change the upper control arms out. They say it will run up to 10 lbs of boost on the 427 which is all I need.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:34 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorvetteDave01
Hello all,
I am just about in a position to start working on my '76 again after a 6 year hiatus due to moving to Virginia, new job etc.

I have a '76 with a SB427 with a FAST xfi fuel injection setup and was wondering whether or not anyone has successfully mounted one of the Torqstorm passenger side mount Centrifugal setups? They sent me a diagram it just eyeballing it looks like it might be close if I change the upper control arms out. They say it will run up to 10 lbs of boost on the 427 which is all I need.
Dimensions attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 310 Posts

What Compression Ratio is Your 427 Small Block running ? Stroker Motors get more difficult to keep the Compression down as they grow. I built my 400@ 9.8 with conventional parts but had I gone bigger I would of had to use custom made Pistons or Heads.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:03 AM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

10.3:1 compression. I'm planning on running E85 though, so I should be ok.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I would stick with a vortech/Paxton or Procharger head unit. TorqueStorms are jokes.... as are powerdyne and any other non common brand centrifugal... They are not common for a reason.

I think your engine on E85 would be fine with some boost. Keep the intake temps in check, timing conservative and read plugs/log data. Should be a killer combo.

A D1SC Procharger would probably make around 650-700 rwhp on your combo with 11-12 psi of boost. I'd put meth on it with the E85 since you're not likely going to squeeze an intercooler on it.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Any companies out there that make a passenger side mount charger? If not, I'll look into the D1SC. The centrifugal kits are a lot cheaper than a Whipple and the torq builds with RPMs so I think I will have less traction problems.

Anyone else have any feedback?

David
Old 05-18-2015, 08:15 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Any companies out there that make a passenger side mount charger? If not, I'll look into the D1SC. The centrifugal kits are a lot cheaper than a Whipple and the torq builds with RPMs so I think I will have less traction problems.

Anyone else have any feedback?

David
A D1SC is a great blower. It's capable of 800-825rwhp with a stick trans and efficient drivetrain.

Not sure about the brackets tho. You're gonna have to contact ProCharger and Vortech to discuss brackets. Most I have seen are driver side mount.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:19 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I'd go with this setup if I were you and relocate whatever you needed to to make it work. You need STRONG brackets so...I'd with proven stuff.

SBC:

https://www.procharger.com/automotiv...efi/sbbb-chevy

Last edited by ajrothm; 05-18-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Vortech makes a driver's side mount kit:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30138

Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 AM
RonL
Intermediate

Default Vortech YSI in 1977 Corvette

The Vortech fits but I had to cut and weld the front crossmember to make the front pulley fit, also the supercharger is very close to the upper control arm which are the VB&P control arms, Also just had to move the altenator to the passenger side and install a remote reservoir power steering pump. The supercharger is very close to the edge of the ridge that the hood sits on. But this is a big block.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

That torque storm will be right into the upper control arm. If the have different size belts I would try fabbing a bracket. A little higher and closer to the valve cover might get it sitting good. I assume you don't have AC on this car since the compressor and torque storm will be occupying the same area.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Thanks Alan and Ron for the responses.

Alan,
I think you are right, I should go with a tried and proven setup. The passenger mount system was tempting from a simplicity stance. I'll go with a D1sc or F1 or possibly stick with a Vortech like Ron since the bracket obviously works.

Ron,
Why did you reroute the intake pipe around to the passenger side? You couldn't route the pipe to a carb hat on the drivers side? Did you have a carb and then go to fuel injection? Is the turbo unit going to hit the hood?

I have exactly 3.75" from the top of my throttle body to the stock hood, so I can at least put a 3.5" hat on the TB. I'll have to get the VBP upper control arms too. I can cut and weld the front crossmember to fit the pulley, that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

Alan,
By the way, I dug up a thread from about 5 years ago where you and George gave me some good advice regarding the auto tranny I'll be putting in later this year. Once my shop is built in a few months I can start working on the vette again...

1. Get it running again
2. Frame and roll cage
3. Turbo unit
4. Turbo 400 conversion
5. Race
Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 PM
RonL
Intermediate

The piping on my 1977 corvette was only put this way for the interim.
I originally had a QuickFuel Blow-thru carb but went to a FAST XFI 2.0 Setup. I wasn't sure if I was going to install a air/water intercooler or methanol injection. I ended up purchasing a Snow Performance Methanol Kit. I intend on having the piping connected directly into the front of the engine, Keeping just enough room to install the Turbosmart Raceport BOV and the methanol injector.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:05 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonL

The Vortech fits but I had to cut and weld the front crossmember to make the front pulley fit, also the supercharger is very close to the upper control arm which are the VB&P control arms, Also just had to move the altenator to the passenger side and install a remote reservoir power steering pump. The supercharger is very close to the edge of the ridge that the hood sits on. But this is a big block.
Very cool!
Old 05-20-2015, 01:17 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Alan,
By the way, I dug up a thread from about 5 years ago where you and George gave me some good advice regarding the auto tranny I'll be putting in later this year. Once my shop is built in a few months I can start working on the vette again...

1. Get it running again
2. Frame and roll cage
3. Turbo unit
4. Turbo 400 conversion
5. Race

Dave i dont have any experience with supercharging or supercharges but i have to wonder why u didnt consider a roots style like the Wieand or even the Eldelbrock (edlebrock are EFI ready) and a powerglide trans? Well thats mostly a dragrace combination but with EFI it could be very streetble. The centrifical sc has it place but it does have to spool up - and theyre really not any cheaper or less complicated than the roots blowers.

Good luck and nice 427 sbc u have there.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

I'm trying to keep everything under the stock hood so that the body still appears stock. Additionally, I have enough traction problems as it is, so having a supercharger that spools up seems the way to go. I have and still am considering a whipple, but I think I would have to put my L88 hood on the car but my traction problems will get worse I think. I have pretty much ruled out the tall blowers that stick out of the hood, although I do like a lot of cars that have these; its just not for me.

I'm pretty much sold on the T400 with the 3.25 rearend I think I will still have a streetable combo which can run ok at the track. A two speed just doesn't seem to be as streetable and several people have recommended the T400 for my combo rather than a powerglide.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use a Torqstorm Supercharger in a C3?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 PM
97C5
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

With the caveat that I think the centrifugal is a good choice based on your aesthetic preferences, your usage of EFI allows you to manage power however you want and wouldn't use that a reason for discounting the whipple.

Last edited by 97C5; 05-20-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:09 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

A whipple is a heat pump.... They have high IATs, heat soak like a b*tch and your system will be retarding timing from knock. Not to mention it takes more power to run a top mount type blower as they are not nearly as efficient. That is power that is being wasted and not going to the wheels.

A centrifugal blower will not help your traction problem, if youre spinning now, its gonna get 10x worse with the blower... You'll start seeing 4 psi by 4000 rpms, that's about 80hp (on average)... Best bet is to solve the spin problem first. A T400 will definitely calm down the spinning a bunch...

I can dead hook a 20 mph roll in 1st on MT ET Street radials with 650hp/650lbs tq and a 3000+ stall with a T400/3.36 combo.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:17 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

I guess my comment about traction was intended as a comparison of adding power with a whipple or roots style blower vs. adding power with a centrifugal that builds boost. I'm pretty sure that you get a lot more boost at lower rpm with the roots style blowers which would make the traction issue worse relative to a boost building option. Regardless, I know I'm going to have more issues with traction than I currently have, lol. With the 10.5" slicks, it wasn't so bad even without getting the 4-link dialed in and once I get the weight transfer right, at least at the track, I should be ok on traction. I just don't want to have too much tq at low RPMs if I can avoid it. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is my thinking anyway...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone use a Torqstorm Supercharger in a C3?