C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two issues after replacing instrument lenses/bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:20 PM
nestor
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Two issues after replacing instrument lenses/bulbs

I took the dash apart to repair clock and cleaned gauges, changed bulbs and replaced lenses. Problem #1 wiper door opens when I start car and there is no vacuum at the actuator. #2 Hazard lights, brake and turn signals are not working. Lights do turn on, but there is no change when you step on brake or turn on hazard. I also replaced headlight switch...dimmer was broken and PO wrapped wire around leads. I did not remove steering column. I just lowered it. The car is being used for a photo shoot tomorrow morning and I work this evening. I hate the idea of having to drive 30 miles with no brake lights...#*@!*

Any quick fixes. It all worked before I "FIXED" it!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nestor
I took the dash apart to repair clock and cleaned gauges, changed bulbs and replaced lenses. Problem #1 wiper door opens when I start car and there is no vacuum at the actuator. #2 Hazard lights, brake and turn signals are not working. Lights do turn on, but there is no change when you step on brake or turn on hazard. I also replaced headlight switch...dimmer was broken and PO wrapped wire around leads. I did not remove steering column. I just lowered it. The car is being used for a photo shoot tomorrow morning and I work this evening. I hate the idea of having to drive 30 miles with no brake lights...#*@!*

I'm wondering if you disconnected the battery before doing all this, as you coulda blown a fuse in the process, as it doesn't take only a very little shorting something out to cause it!

I'm holding my breath, as I've got my left & center instrument panels
out right now to fix my tach, clock & the left turn signal light on the dash. I did NOT disconnect the battery until AFTER I took it all apart....wasn't thinkin'....in too big of a hurry!
My turn signals were working fine, but the left blinker light in the dash wouldn' light up, and I found just a bit of corrosion on the terminal strip where it contacts, and it works now....I also took out ALL of the bulbs & cleaned all of the terminal strips....Got a new tach board & filter & got it workin', and was able to get my clock workin' as well, thanks to links on here to video's...THANX CORVETTE FORUM!!

Hope U find the problem!!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:04 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nestor

It sounds like you hooked up the headlight switch hoses backwards. The front hose goes to manifold vacuum but you can swap the hoses below the headlight switch. Check your fuses as you have likely blown one.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:16 PM
nestor
Instructor

I think I fixed the wiper door problem. Found hose disconnected that connects behind tach. I will know when I start it tomorrow. I know the hoses on the headlight switch are correct. I marked them and headlights are operating correctly.

I also noticed interior lights are not turning on when I open door. Seems to me I lost a ground. I looked just now under dash but hard to see anything without pulling dash.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 AM
nestor
Instructor

I know indicators and brake lights worked after I reinstalled dash. The last piece to go in was the center console. I remember stepping on the brake to see which fiber optic cables lit up to reconnect them.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 PM
nestor
Instructor

Thanks guys. It was a fuse and the interior light seems to have a bad ground on drivers side door. Fuse was a PITA.

Get notified of new replies

To Two issues after replacing instrument lenses/bulbs

Quick Reply: Two issues after replacing instrument lenses/bulbs