C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat........Drill A Hole Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Would someone please explain the purpose of the holes? What are they supposed to do?

If the holes are supposed to help the system fill faster what is the big hurry?

I have never had any problem filling my C3's so what am I doing wrong?
I already did. it's post #28...
Old 08-13-2015, 02:56 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Would someone please explain the purpose of the holes? What are they supposed to do?

Post # 30
Old 08-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

See my post 13. They are used when the water pump bypass is removed or not incorporated. Such as Stewart water pumps.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:36 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

The Stants AND the Robertshaws fail in the closed position. In the case of a Stant the 1" diameter valve stays in the UP position and so does the outer sleeve of the Robertshaw. The wax alloy "pellet" expands and forces the valve or sleeve down against spring pressure so when the wax pellet fails the default position on both types is in the up position or CLOSED.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Click here and read 'Features and Benifets'
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...at/417203_0_0/
Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Click here and read 'Features and Benefits'
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...at/417203_0_0/

That's interesting. How long have those been available and are they only available in 180 degree? All of the thermostats I have known about that failed were very old thermostats in which the wax pellet material finally migrated out of the capsule because of wear to the capsule. Replace it every few years when the top hose is replaced and the chance of failure is very unlikely. In fact I seem to remember G.M. recommending replacement every two years.

But to return to the original question I had; what is the purpose of drilling the holes? Faster fill time? After doing it to my thermostat and finding warm up time was 4 times as long on a very cold winter morning I swore I'd never do it again.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

That's interesting. How long have those been available and are they only available in 180 degree? All of the thermostats I have known about that failed were very old thermostats in which the wax pellet material finally migrated out of the capsule because of wear to the capsule. Replace it every few years when the top hose is replaced and the chance of failure is very unlikely. In fact I seem to remember G.M. recommending replacement every two years.

But to return to the original question I had; what is the purpose of drilling the holes? Faster fill time? After doing it to my thermostat and finding warm up time was 4 times as long on a very cold winter morning I swore I'd never do it again.
With some pumps it is necessary:
http://stewartwaterpumps.com/
Old 08-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't have a internal bypass or a heater core connected. Drilling 3 small holes cured a 240 temp spike I was having after 2 miles of driving. Takes around 5 more miles to warm up in south Georgia. The temp spike was the only reason I drilled the holes and it solved my unique problem. If I lived in a cooler zone I would have a connected heater core and a normal thermostat.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the words out of my mouth

This forum gets into the comedy realm at times, and it seems like the same person starts this stuff. If you want to drill holes drill baby drill, if not dont. As for me I drilled the holes and now I'm going for a ride in my drilled stat pro comp headed double pumper equipped Obx side pipe equipped Corvette that can't possibly run with all the stuff I've done wrong.[/QUOTE]
My new high volume water pump came out of the box with the bypass blocked off. I am going to drill the thermostat and go for a test drive in my double pumper and sidepipe equipped Vette . The way I drive I have no fear of not reaching operating temperature.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:30 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Any time you want bad or ridiculous advise visit a forum where witchcraft and supernatural explanations rule.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:53 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

I have never drilled holes in my thermostats and I have never had any problems. After reading many posts in Chevrolet forums about the "need" for a hole I decided to do it last winter just to see what difference it made. I drilled two 3/32" holes 180 degrees apart and reinstalled it. Well, right off the bat it needed a full 10 miles of driving before my heater began to work so I came to the conclusion the "need" for drilling a small hole or two is an urban myth.

First of all most intake manifolds are counter bored about 3/32" deep which is about 3 times the thickness of the thermostat flange. Which means coolant leaks around the edges of the thermostat anyway which also means a hole is just making the amount of leakage worse. And then coolant also leaks thru the center of the thermostat so what in the heck is the hole supposed to accomplish other than making the "hole driller" feel needed?

So what are the opinions of the forum "experts"? Drill a hole or not?
You mean like this ridiculous supernatural witchcraft explanation?
Old 08-15-2015, 07:52 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Any time you want bad or ridiculous advise visit a forum where witchcraft and supernatural explanations rule.
Who wrote post #1??
Old 08-15-2015, 07:52 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

I have been a C3 owner since 1988 and never heard about the "need" for drilling holes in C3 thermostats until I joined a couple of C3 forums. So a couple of years ago I tried it and found even little holes drastically increase the warm up time in very cold weather. On a 30 degree morning my heater would begin blowing warm air within 5 miles but with the holes it took a whole 12 miles and a whole lot more driving to get hot air. So for me hole drilling is nonsense but if you feel the need for holes do it.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

I have been a C3 owner since 1988 and never heard about the "need" for drilling holes in C3 thermostats until I joined a couple of C3 forums. So a couple of years ago I tried it and found even little holes drastically increase the warm up time in very cold weather. On a 30 degree morning my heater would begin blowing warm air within 5 miles but with the holes it took a whole 12 miles and a whole lot more driving to get hot air. So for me hole drilling is nonsense but if you feel the need for holes do it.
The difference is that a hole in a SBC stat is a tad different than a 454 with a honking 3/4" bypass hose.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Anybody else getting tired of this thread but me?
Old 08-16-2015, 11:01 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by SH-60B
You mean like this ridiculous supernatural witchcraft explanation?
Originally Posted by Street Rat

Anybody else getting tired of this thread but me?
I feel my first post on page one answered all the ??? pretty good, the newer 195f stats have a small passageway, restricting flow when wide open, needs more flow if you want your engine to run cooler and here in FLORIDA when it's been damn near or over 100f for the last 3 months, we need the FLOW assistance, my car sets in the garage, and even in 30f winter, the car is about ~50f, in the morning....and by time I drive around the corner to the stop sign, I feel SOME warmer air

but you have to also allow that my shark is NOT STOCK, from wheels through roof, nothing, every aspect of it has been modified, especially the LT1 induction on the L98/ZZ4 engine while retaining the HEI in the back, and having stockish L98 rear mani return hoses see pix on my sites.....

I used to live in Maryland, and yes with the unheated garage in winter, sure the cars had 1.5-2 gallons of Glycol in them freeking 0-f some mornings so yes, I would put in an old 180f stat with the large opening, never an issue, BUT with that damn EPA making all of them the narrow throat, need more water flow in summer.....
Old 08-16-2015, 11:16 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Because of the aftermarket manufacturer's sales hype people believe they need higher output water pumps. But higher output doesn't necessarily mean cooler engines because the coolant needs enough time in the radiator to transfer it's heat. The factory engineers designed the water pumps and radiators to be very efficient at the loads and speeds these cars run at so "high output" isn't always a good thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat........Drill A Hole Or Not?

Old 08-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

"the coolant needs enough time in the radiator to transfer it's heat"
This is an old myth; it is not true. Take your thermostat out and your car will run cooler. In some cases it won't even heat up to proper operating temperatures.

Just sayin'
Old 08-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

so "high output" isn't always a good thing.
As in 100GPM fuel pumps?
Old 08-16-2015, 03:43 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
As in 100GPM fuel pumps?

Quick Reply: Thermostat........Drill A Hole Or Not?