C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator arrived

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Radiator arrived

My new DeWitts radiator has arrived. I got on the phone with John last Monday (8/10) and ordered my large core radiator with an upgrade internal trans cooler with AN-6 fittings attached.
I was told it would take up to 10 days to build with the upgrade then shipped.
Ordered the custom build radiator on 8/10, shipped on 8/14 and received on 8/19. That was great service.
I look at the radiator and compared the quality to the Champions. Keep in mind I am a 42 year Aviation guy and an FAA Inspector so I think I have an eye for quality.
I find the quality in DeWitts craftsmanship and Aluminum to be superior to the Champion. The aluminum in the Champion appears softer than the DeWitts. I have purchased 3 Champions (2 for other applications) and with exception to the one I damaged no problem with them.

Again, however, now that I have seen the Champions quality next to the DeWitts; the DeWitts, technically and materially, is far more superior.

Last edited by Aggitated Monkey; 08-20-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggitated Monkey
I find the quality in DeWitts craftsmanship and Aluminum to be superior to the Champion. The aluminum in the Champion appears softer than the DeWitts.
So, you can determine the metallurgical grade and properties of aluminum just by looking at it?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by bashcraft
So, you can determine the metallurgical grade and properties of aluminum just by looking at it?
Obviously not in exact detail as the word "appears" would indicate, but yes you can see and feel a difference in aluminum. Aluminum depending on its mix can be different. It can also have different heat treat.

Last edited by Aggitated Monkey; 08-20-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Radiator arrived

He is correct. You can tell a lot about the properties of aluminum just by looking at it. Just takes experience to know what your looking at.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
You can't?
Old 08-21-2015, 09:13 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Obviously not in exact detail as the word "appears" would indicate, but yes you can see and feel a difference in aluminum. Aluminum depending on its mix can be different. It can also have different heat treat.

Several years ago I was in need of a radiator for my daily driver big block '71 and I stumbled onto "Griffen" radiators in Summit Racing. After doing some research I found Griffen is a major OEM supplier of aluminum radiators, heater cores, evaporators, and condensers for the "big three" so I bought one. It too appears to be excellent in quality and workmanship and I've been very satisfied with it so far.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Several years ago I was in need of a radiator for my daily driver big block '71 and I stumbled onto "Griffen" radiators in Summit Racing. After doing some research I found Griffen is a major OEM supplier of aluminum radiators, heater cores, evaporators, and condensers for the "big three" so I bought one. It too appears to be excellent in quality and workmanship and I've been very satisfied with it so far.
I have to agree with that. I have a cousin who was retired in his 50's and built 3 to 5 32 Ford street rods a year. Griffin Radiators was all he used.

This DeWitts is very nice and well worth the money. I like the fact that you can call DeWitts and speak to people who know the product.

I talked to John there about oil coolers. He said they have a few available and where thinking of devolving further for the C3.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:03 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire

Griffin may have made a part for an OEM at one time but I wouldn't go as far to say a MAJOR suppler. 99.9 % of oem radiators are made buy Delphi, Visteon, Behr, or Valeo.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Latest on my Dewitt's...Car now has 1000 miles since build and It runs cool. Yesterday I drove in 95* weather in stop light commute traffic and the gage never went above 200*. Once I got rolling again it dropped to 180*- 190* range a maintained that. Ran around in the 95* heat for about 45 miles total of stop and go. I feel confident this car will run cool.

Engine is 383 stroker 496 HP with 700R4. Fans are 2 12" mounted in full shroud.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Yeppers Dewitts "looks" way nicer than the imports ( champion ) perhaps the aluminum is better too, likely but I didn't send samples to a lab for testing and my eyes are not good enough to do metallurgy. ( guess I don't have a quality eye )

after many, many threads on the forum debating radiators the fact remains that dewitts cool and look great , Champion cool and look good and are 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a the dewitts, some cats simply have to ( or desire to ) go the budget route.

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-07-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

something out there for everyone
Paying for the dewitts wasnt fun but wasnt worth risking a real expensive motor to save 100 or so. Not that there are any guarantees but still

Did consider the Champion but one look at the welds comparing, well no comparison. Suppose probably still better than oem at least temp wise.

Anyone had a Champion that sees regular use for say 5-10 yrs never seen long term feedback. Curious....remember back in the 80s Griffin was the big deal

Considrering a DeWitts for my truck if its available if it survives that torture test they may have to hire me as a pr guy. Brutal grades, lots of weight.

Last edited by cv67; 06-07-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:10 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
something out there for everyone
Paying for the dewitts wasnt fun but wasnt worth risking a real expensive motor to save 100 or so. Not that there are any guarantees but still

Did consider the Champion but one look at the welds comparing, well no comparison. Suppose probably still better than oem at least temp wise.

Anyone had a Champion that sees regular use for say 5-10 yrs never seen long term feedback. Curious....remember back in the 80s Griffin was the big deal

Considrering a DeWitts for my truck if its available if it survives that torture test they may have to hire me as a pr guy. Brutal grades, lots of weight.
This is not a champion vs dewitts thing from me but, you feel that a champion is more likely to fail than a dewitts, based on what, how the welds look?

If a person pays 600-700-up for a dewitts and it doesn't have a problem in 10 years and a cat pays 150 for a champion and it fails in 5 years and he buys another he is still way ahead money wise, some cats have to go budget.

Keep in mind I do have a custom build dewitts,
but I have not seen anyone bash the performance of either brand here and other big names like becool seldom pop up here, the world of radiators is bigger than this forum.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

What did it cost?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry82
What did it cost?
mine or his?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by The13Bats
mine or his?

I had an enlarged trans cooler installed in the tank so mine was near $700 or about. Don't recall exactly.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:30 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
He is correct. You can tell a lot about the properties of aluminum just by looking at it. Just takes experience to know what your looking at.
Really? What characteristics does the higher quality aluminum display that the cheaper aluminum lacks?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:35 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
Really? What characteristics does the higher quality aluminum display that the cheaper aluminum lacks?

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator arrived

Old 06-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Alumininum is treated in many different hardness and blended with other alloys. You or I can't tell exacht by just looking however you can see differences by looking and touching. It's hard to explain unless you have experience with Aluminum. It may feel lighter or heavier or harder. In the case of a radiator compairison the fins feel different, the tank and frame may seem thicker or thinner gage. The most prominate differance I can see between the griffin and Dewitt's is when I run my finger lightly over the fins I see slight flex on the griffin and not on the Dewitt's. If you tap the frame or tank there is a sound pitch that is different. Harder aloys/heat treat will have a higher pitch. I hope that helps. No Rockwell test was performed it's just my observation.

Last edited by Aggitated Monkey; 06-09-2016 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:02 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Alumininum is treated in many different hardness and blended with other alloys. You or I can't tell exacht by just looking however you can see differences by looking and touching. It's hard to explain unless you have experience with Aluminum. It may feel lighter or heavier or harder. In the case of a radiator compairison the fins feel different, the tank and frame may seem thicker or thinner gage. The most prominate differance I can see between the griffin and Dewitt's is when I run my finger lightly over the fins I see slight flex on the griffin and not on the Dewitt's. If you tap the frame or tank there is a sound pitch that is different. Harder aloys/heat treat will have a higher pitch. I hope that helps. No Rockwell test was performed it's just my observation.
Ok, so you can't tell exactly by just looking, but you can see differences by looking. Aluminum that plays higher notes are the harder alloys, got it!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

“So, you can determine the metallurgical grade and properties of aluminum just by looking at it?”

Of coarse he can tell just by looking at it.
Did you read the first post.

“Keep in mind I am a 42 year Aviation guy and an FAA Inspector so I think I have an eye for quality. “

Anyone worth their salt dealing with aircraft parts better know what they are looking at.
At least to know, it is not what it should or could be and to know the difference.

“Really? What characteristics does the higher quality aluminum display that the cheaper aluminum lacks?”

A DeWitts radiator screams at you it is a well thought out, well made quality product.
It has formed tanks, formed inlet and outlet, and is configured for your application.
It fits in the stock brackets and uses the stock hoses.
If you painted it black, no one without a magnet would notice it was not stock except for the beautifully welded tank seam.
And yes it cost more than a lesser product.

A Champion looks like it was made to the lowest price.
2 sizes fit all applications.
It has folded square cornered tanks.
Cut and welded sharp turn inlet and outlet.
Welds that look like they came out of a caulking gun.
Does not fit into the stock brackets without modification.
May or may not clear the hood.
May or may not use the same hoses.
And yes it cost less, but you got exactly what you have not paid for.

Quick Reply: Radiator arrived