C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:23 PM
1970LS5
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Water in Fuel Tank

Over the weekend my 1970 LS 5 started normally, ran for about 2 minutes and slowly died.

To make a long and painful story short, I eventually discovered water in the tank. The water level had covered about 3/4 of the inlet sock. After siphoning the water from the tank and pumping out the fuel line, the engine started and ran. I siphoned out almost 3 gallons of gas/water.

I am now trying to determine the source of the water. I last filled up about a month ago and drove the car many times with no problems. It did sit for about 10 days before I tried to drive it on Saturday.

Could the water have been in the fuel at the gas station? If so,wouldn't the problem revealed itself much sooner? Is it possible for that much condensation to accumulate in such a short period of time? While vandalism is always a possibility, I have no reason to believe that is the case at this point.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:38 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,604 Posts

it might take time for the water to drop down to the bottom of the tank.
You also don't mention if during that 10 day period it sat outside and could have been rained on?
The gas tank neck has a cork gasket where it connects to the tank and it is possible for water to enter if the cork has deteriorated.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:26 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

If you picked up water at the gas station you would have known it within about 2 minutes of running so I doubt you picked it up there. Some kid may be fooling with your car so you may need to keep a watchful eye on it in the future.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:28 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Ok, water fuel mix coming from fuel hose water will settle real quik.start run like crap almost immediately. That much condensation is not possible in a rain forest. That much water can only be rain.

Last edited by derekderek; 09-22-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:34 PM
1970LS5
Instructor

Mel,

Yes, the car was parked outside and it did rain. But is is under a cover. Doesn't the rubber boot below the cap which drains to the rear of the car protect the neck/tank connection? If not, then I will have some more work to do. Thanks for your reply.

Gene

Originally Posted by MelWff
it might take time for the water to drop down to the bottom of the tank.
You also don't mention if during that 10 day period it sat outside and could have been rained on?
The gas tank neck has a cork gasket where it connects to the tank and it is possible for water to enter if the cork has deteriorated.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Gene,
I believe the purpose of the rubber boot IS to drain water/spilled gas from the vicinity of the filler neck.
Perhaps begin by checking that the connection from the boot to the drain hose is open and also that the length of the hose is open. There should be a coiled spring in the lower end of the hose to keep it from collapsing.
I'd also check the seal being made by the gas cap gasket.
Regards,
Alan

Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM
1970LS5
Instructor

Alan,

I did check the hose and it did have a minor blockage at the boot which I cleared. The gasket on the fuel cap is deteriorated and will be replaced. I ordered a filler neck gasket just as insurance.

Thank you to Alan and everyone for your help with this one.

Gene

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Gene,
I believe the purpose of the rubber boot IS to drain water/spilled gas from the vicinity of the filler neck.
Perhaps begin by checking that the connection from the boot to the drain hose is open and also that the length of the hose is open. There should be a coiled spring in the lower end of the hose to keep it from collapsing.
I'd also check the seal being made by the gas cap gasket.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Water in Fuel Tank

Quick Reply: Water in Fuel Tank