C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 clutch popping noise/feel

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:44 PM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default 1980 clutch popping noise/feel

Just wanted to post a quick problem solved as I get so much benefit from the forum- hopefully the next person with a similar issue will search and find this post among others...

Problem- a "popping" noise and feel in the clutch pedal at the beginning of travel (prior to actually engaging the clutch). Issue would come and go, but had become more pronounced lately.

I first thought a bushing or something similar in the interior, so contorted myself to inspect the clutch pedal mechanism, lubed all pivot points, etc. Didn't solve the problem. Began inspecting z-bar and assembly and found the frame side bracket connection oddly loose... Set about pulling the bracket and a-bar out to find the bracket had snapped off at its thinnest point (see pics). Ordered a new bracket as well as a z-bar rebuild kit from CC. Disassembled and reassembled z-bar with new components, installed new bracket (would have loved to have been able to get the "heavy duty" one that used to be made/sold by a forum member here, but apparently he's no longer around), and now all is well. I have the Speed Direct connecting rods, and now with my bracket fixed and fresh lube in the z-bar, the clutch pedal is silky smooth!

Glad the bracket didn't complete its disintegration while I was out on the road... No clutch is no bueno.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:39 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

When I pulled the engine in my 80, that same bracket had issues and I replaced it. I also had a popping when I first put my foot on the clutch.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:34 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have that same book!!! handy little thing isn't it..

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 clutch popping noise/feel

Quick Reply: 1980 clutch popping noise/feel