C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 vette loudest exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Sami Longsdale
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C3 vette loudest exhaust?

Hi I'm from the UK my C3 L-82 AUTOMATIC is Abroad, still haven't found out the Year of it yet, however, i was interested in buying the loudest possible exhaust i could buy for it... Only aftermarket exhausts i've heard of is Magnaflow which supplies a cat back exhaust, after seeing videos on youtube doesn't seem as loud. Am i better off getting a company\garage to make me one? or do i just go ahead with the magna flow. My dad was also considering making some holes in the stock exhaust he said it would make it sound good... Not sure though. Would appreciate any suggestions ??
The following users liked this post:
7t9l82 (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Exhaust

It would help to know the year of your car. Under no circumstances should you drill holes in your exhaust. As Yogi Berra would say, you could wake up dead. If you are running cats, I would look for an exhaust with cats, but no mufflers. You may get by with cats and glass pacs. Jerry
Old 10-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Sami Longsdale
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
It would help to know the year of your car. Under no circumstances should you drill holes in your exhaust. As Yogi Berra would say, you could wake up dead. If you are running cats, I would look for an exhaust with cats, but no mufflers. You may get by with cats and glass pacs. Jerry
Sorry as I'm young i won't really understand the slang or it might be the actual name "Glass pacs" and what do you mean by if you are running cats?

Still momentarily trying to find out but i believe my car is a 78-79
Old 10-22-2015, 03:37 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Cats are the catalytic converter(s).
Old 10-22-2015, 03:40 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Sami Longsdale
My dad was also considering making some holes in the stock exhaust he said it would make it sound good.
I think he was messing around. Bad idea. it will sound terrible...not to mention the health-related factors...like death.

Loud doesn't always mean it will sound good.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:44 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

how about side pipes?
http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...2%2B4294867657
Old 10-22-2015, 03:46 PM
old7T6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
If you want something that really is old school, try a chambered exhaust system. It will sound sweet when your car idles, especially if you have a little cam action going for you. And when you put your foot into it, I guarantee you will wake up the neighborhood. It will probably won't pass any emission test, but hey... you want loud then this is for you!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:58 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

If your keeping the factory exhaust manifolds run 2-1/2 straight pipes out the back.

Or put headers on it with straight pipes going into 40 series Flowmaster mufflers
Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Pypes, Violator mufflers on my 81. They sound great!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Sami Longsdale
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Oh thanks mate, my dad just told me it doesn't have a Cat it was previously taken out.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Sami Longsdale
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by old7T6
If you want something that really is old school, try a chambered exhaust system. It will sound sweet when your car idles, especially if you have a little cam action going for you. And when you put your foot into it, I guarantee you will wake up the neighborhood. It will probably won't pass any emission test, but hey... you want loud then this is for you!
Oh nicee, 'cam action'? and thats exactly what i want to hear mate.Is their a website where i could buy this chambered exhaust system? also in my home country where the car is there is no such thing as an emission test (MOT) ahah
Old 10-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Question is, why do you want the car to be so loud? Extra noise is a poor compensator for the relatively mild performance of a stock auto equipped 78-79 Vette. You wont scare any petrol head who knows anything about smog era Corvettes JMPO. A true dual exhaust with a suitable set of mufflers will give a decent exhaust note without attracting every ticket writing cop in earshot. How do you propose to pass the annual MOT with this proposed loud exhaust? Forget about listening to anything other than the exhaust including your passenger unless you like shouting:-) All just my personal opinion though, I'm old and now have poor hearing from years of riding loud motorcycles when I was young.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Sami Longsdale
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Question is, why do you want the car to be so loud? Extra noise is a poor compensator for the relatively mild performance of a stock auto equipped 78-79 Vette. You wont scare any petrol head who knows anything about smog era Corvettes JMPO. A true dual exhaust with a suitable set of mufflers will give a decent exhaust note without attracting every ticket writing cop in earshot. How do you propose to pass the annual MOT with this proposed loud exhaust? Forget about listening to anything other than the exhaust including your passenger unless you like shouting:-) All just my personal opinion though, I'm old and now have poor hearing from years of riding loud motorcycles when I was young.
1) Its not just i know its been upgraded quite a bit with the carb and others however, its just the exhaust that hasn't been upgraded. In my country nobody else has a corvette so for it to sound loud is a bonus. Where could i buy this dual exhaust mate and mufflers ? do you have a link?.
Yeah of course mate only 17 and was a birthday present so its nice to drive something unique which nobody else has.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Sami,
You asked about a site for "chambered exhaust".
Try Google for 'Allen's Stainless Exhaust'"
The chambered exhaust was used on some Camaros in the late 60s and also were the basis for the 65-67 Corvette side exhaust option.
Remember though that the exhaust sound is PARTLY the result of the engine's components…. there's a difference between sounding really GOOD and sounding just really LOUD.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Please, on behalf of those of us who have outgrown this phase in life, if you must drive a car full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, do it in something other than a Corvette.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

with no emissions testing, I'd say if you want an under car exhaust, it would be hard to beat headers into true dual exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. If you want sidepipes, it would be hard to beat hooker sidepipes with no inserts. Be sure to consider though, that a young person with a very loud car will immediately attract the attention of every police officer around.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:21 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Sami Longsdale
Sorry as I'm young i won't really understand the slang or it might be the actual name "Glass pacs" and what do you mean by if you are running cats?

Still momentarily trying to find out but i believe my car is a 78-79
If looking through the windshield from the outside of the car at this location you will see the VIN number. Post that number here and we can tell you what year the car is.

I personally like the side pipes. Here's a video with side pipes and headers. It's not my car but it sounds good.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 vette loudest exhaust?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
with no emissions testing, I'd say if you want an under car exhaust, it would be hard to beat headers into true dual exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. If you want sidepipes, it would be hard to beat hooker sidepipes with no inserts. Be sure to consider though, that a young person with a very loud car will immediately attract the attention of every police officer around.
Hookers with the max flow or Spiral baffles will be plenty loud (I've used both). Open side pipes will get old. Fast.

Search the forum, you will find lots of posts and opinions. I'm considering trying a chambered insert with my hookers next ( if I can find a good deal on them).
Old 10-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Here is a youtube video of the Allen's chambered exhaust that Alan was suggesting....My car just has the stock 200 HP 350. I have no trouble talking to my passanger with the tops out going down the road at 55 mph.

I'm guessing shipping across the pond to the Uk would not be cheap....Aluminized system is around $500 US the stainless is around $700 I think.

Brian
Old 10-22-2015, 09:47 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by havesometo
...I personally like the side pipes. Here's a video with side pipes and headers. It's not my car but it sounds good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y-MTgAYo2s

Yes, that one makes some sweet music.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 10-22-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: C3 vette loudest exhaust?