C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 454 with L88 & Air Gap - Choke Horn Clearence

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:03 PM
71RedRat
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 454 with L88 & Air Gap - Choke Horn Clearence

Bought my 71/ 454 LS5/TH400 15 years ago with an Edelbrock Streetmaster and Holley 650DP on it. Ready to put on new manifold and carb. I have already purchased an RPM Air Gap and Quick Fuel 780 SS-Vac. Secondary electric choke. Car has the L88 hood w/o air chamber.

Edelbrock told me the Streetmaster carb pad height is 3.7". I've been able to determine that there is 4" space between the carb flange and L88 hood. Currently has 3/8" phenolic spacer.

The Air Gap 1.5" taller that the Streetmaster. If I don't use another phen. spacer(adds 3/8" and hope Air Gap doesn't require), figure that there would be 2-7/8" between carb flange and hood. With an air cleaner that just barely fits, Looks like 1" clearance from the choke horn to air cleaner lid.

Think I have read almost every Forum thread concerning this scenario. Lots of people with C3 big blocks talk about successfully going with the Air Gap and running 2" drop base with 3" filter. Some go chokeless and other have chokes. I would prefer to have choke for easy starting.

Hoping to get some input on the choke horn clearance. Would really like to keep the Air Gap and figure it won't need the phenolic spacer. I understand there will be some HP loss due to air flow. The car is just a weekend cruiser with occasional WOT hot rodding to burn rubber and have fun.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

There are definitely quite a few guys here running a bbc with the RPM air gap and an L88 hood. Hit the search function and you will find quite a few for sure.

If it were my car, and I was especially concerned about the choke horn [and the moment I type this someone is going to say don't do this], I would cut off the choke horn, in order to gain the best air flow.

Quick Reply: 71 454 with L88 & Air Gap - Choke Horn Clearence