C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 vette ignition won't turn back to lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Brandon50394
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 vette ignition won't turn back to lock

My ignition is stuck and won't lock I can start it up and turn it off fine the ignition just won't go into the lock position
Old 11-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Easy peasy....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lfunction.html
Old 11-09-2015, 07:29 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon50394
My ignition is stuck and won't lock I can start it up and turn it off fine the ignition just won't go into the lock position

Does your steering column have the lever on the right side that you have to depress in order to turn the key to the LOCK position? My '82 has one so I assume your '80 also has one. That lever is there to prevent you from accidentally locking your steering wheel when you merely want to turn your key to shut the engine off.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Does your steering column have the lever on the right side that you have to depress in order to turn the key to the LOCK position? My '82 has one so I assume your '80 also has one. That lever is there to prevent you from accidentally locking your steering wheel when you merely want to turn your key to shut the engine off.
Just a point of clarification. General Motors passenger cars started to have locking steering columns the 1969 model year. From 1969 through 1976 Corvettes had a cable from the transmission to the steering column to signal that the transmission was in PARK (automatics) or in REVERSE (manual shifts).

Starting in 1977 the back drive cable from the transmission was eliminated and a small lever as added just below the steering column lock cylinder. You can easily see the lever in the above picture. You must trip the lever in order to be able to rotate your ignition key (and lock cylinder to OFF-LOCK and ACCESSORY.

The lever does not have to be tripped to rotate your ignition key into START, RUN, or OFF.

Your 1980 Vette has that small trip lever. It should smoothly move as your finger actuates the lever. It will open a gate (inside the steering column head) to allow rotation of your ignition key to OFF-LOCK.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 vette ignition won't turn back to lock

Quick Reply: 1980 vette ignition won't turn back to lock