C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Seat won't slide

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Seat won't slide

Something is broken I think in the passenger seat mechanism that allows the seat to slide front to back on the tracks. It's stuck all the way back, which is keeping me from getting to the bolts to take the seat out. Anyone have an tips or tricks for getting it to move so that I can get it out and repair it (or replace it)
Old 11-11-2015, 04:19 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Burt
Something is broken I think in the passenger seat mechanism that allows the seat to slide front to back on the tracks. It's stuck all the way back, which is keeping me from getting to the bolts to take the seat out. Anyone have an tips or tricks for getting it to move so that I can get it out and repair it (or replace it)
Jason, I know what you're up against because both of the seats in my '71 were the same way when I bought it. The release mechanism is likely working but it won't slide because of years of crud getting stuck in the track. If it moves at all just keep on trying and trying and trying and each time it'll likely move 1/8" further. Its also possible you can use a 18" extension and socket to sneak between the seat and seat back to take those rear bolts out (working blind of course).
Old 11-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Jason, I know what you're up against because both of the seats in my '71 were the same way when I bought it. The release mechanism is likely working but it won't slide because of years of crud getting stuck in the track. If it moves at all just keep on trying and trying and trying and each time it'll likely move 1/8" further. Its also possible you can use a 18" extension and socket to sneak between the seat and seat back to take those rear bolts out (working blind of course).
Thanks! I can't feel any movement with the seat. The lever will move but the seat doesn't budge. I may try to get to the bolts with an extension as you mentioned. At least the driver's seat works so i can get a decent idea where the bolts are. Are they the same on both sides?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, the bolts are in the same position on both sides.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:11 AM
vickv
Heel & Toe

Glad I found this thread.

New Member, getting a family car back on the road.

T top car that sat outside for about 10 years. Everything in surprisingly good condition...but seat belts are frozen (I assume rusted).

Went to remove seats, and definitely some rusted bolts. OK, that's what Kroil and an impact gun are for.

The problem is the seats are too far forward for me to get the front bolts out. I may be able to get the driver's side out (just one left by the door...need to try an impact gun and a universal to get that one) but the passenger side ones are un reachable with a socket, and an open ended wrench doesn't get me enough ooomph.

Any tricks to getting this seat to move? Moving the lever I do not seem to feel anything underneath engaging.

Thanks in advance,
vick
south nassau county, long island, ny
Old 01-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

So glad I found this thread as I was wondering how to get the seat rails apart so I could clean and lubricate them. I'm working on the seat rails for a '67 Coupe and with just flattening one dimple on each rail I was able to get all four rails apart ... no need to remove any rivets or grind out any areas. Thought I would just document this to help anyone else doing a '67.

This is the dimple on the back end of the rail that needs to be flattened. Just slide until you get it exposed.

This is what it looks like after flattening the dimple. At this point you can slide the assembly enough that both the bushings and roller will drop out. Now push it the other direction to get the roller and bushings at the other end to fall out.

You should find these 6 items (4 bushings and 2 rollers) for each slide.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Seat won't slide

Quick Reply: 1976 Seat won't slide