C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many Of You "Beat On" Your C3's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:05 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
ahh marriage.... lovely
This sums it up better than anything else I can think of....

Before marriage:

During marriage:

After divorce:

Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

That's hilarious and true. I'll claim top fool on this one. Divorced three times and all I have now for female companionship is my Shop Dog. She loves, me I know it! I've been seeing all these holiday diamond commercials on, nearly every ten minutes and they basically insinuate that the 'man' is an a-hole if he doesn't get her that shiny rock! Believe me, that's what my third ex, clearly insinuated, over coffee on the couch.

Oh that shiny rock! I automatically calculate it against how many Corvette parts I could've brought. Shop Dog, in comparison, treats me like a God, for a can of Pedigree Dog Food! She loves me to no end, no complaints, no listening to their 'stories', because when woe visits a woman, it takes a thousand words to describe it!

Man: "I am bummed."
Woman: "You wouldn't believe the hard day I had! First, when I got out of the car, guess who was standing there, that bitch from accounting and you know what (and on and on).
Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

In front of the Shop.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:42 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
In front of the Shop.

She's beautiful. Dogs are the best!
The following users liked this post:
F22 (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:49 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I'm just in a mood to not care what people think, so here goes again. All the braggers and tough guys in the car world and motorcycle world sit around bragging about going 180 mph in their ride, or on their bike, and that makes them all feel tough and cool. But unless you are on a track, its not only illegal, its irresponsible. You put other people lives in danger, not to mention your own. So go ahead and make yourself feel good, but when you kill my daughter cause you lost control of your bike or your Corvette, you are not going to like what comes next. Too many tough guys and guys with ego issues constantly trying to prove themselves by pushing the gas pedal to the floor or going 180 mph on a motorcycle down the street. You prove nothing to me except you are irresponsible. The world doesn't revolve around your problems, and you have no right risking other peoples lives doing it.

Secondly, the definition of "beating" on your car is different with everyone. I certainly enjoy acceleration and cornering, and I enjoy my Corvette in that way, but since I DON't drive on a racetrack, I have respect for my car, my ability and everyone else on the highways. You want to make fun of me for that, go ahead. My love for a C3 Corvette goes way beyond slamming and hammering on it. I happen to think it looks great sitting still, and I own it for the joy of owning it, driving it, and knowing I built it. I don't need to sit in a bar or on a forum bragging about how I went 100 mph in it, cause that day will never come. So call me a ***** if you want. I didn't say in my previous email what I called you, and I won't say it now, out of mutual common respect, which clearly doesn't work both ways. Do what you want, its a free country. But when GM designed the car, it had way more purpose than beating the crap out of it. I choose to appreciate the car more than that.

As for ALL the reality shows, they are filled with irresponsible, ego maniacs that do nothing except pretend to be cool or tough, when truth is that it is all Hollywood B.S. I am not impressed, I don't care how much money they make doing it.
Wow! I think you need a hug.

I don't know if you knew this or not but, reality shows are NOT reality.

It's your responsibility to teach your kids right from wrong.

As far as how you drive your car. There is a time and place for everything. I've seen more people destroy things under 40mph because they don't know how to drive or handle the power of a vehicle. Speed is not the cause of accidents, people are.

Flame on!

Last edited by 76Rat; 12-04-2015 at 09:50 AM.
TheSkunkWorks (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Texting while driving far worse then anyone's speed. Then you throw in the drunks and the dope heads.

Texting is something i worry about on my motorcycle setting at a light some idiot run over me.

Not nearly as worried if ajrothm goes flying by at 198 on the GPS lol.

not real worried about some tv show. TV shows have to create some form of drama to keep people coming back to watch. I doubt anyone truly was going to miss any house payments or anyone's kids going hungry. Most likely the people on the show are getting paid to do what there doing.

Anyone really think these guys are just hey man come film us race without getting paid anything to do it. You think they are like come on in to my garage and film us talking smack to one another and no payola involved.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 12-04-2015 at 01:16 PM.
ajrothm (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 05:25 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Every chance I get. I break it a lot, though.

That video was back when I had a super vic intake and a 650 double pumper with little 225/60/15 tires! If you look closely, you can see the tachometer exceed 7,000 rpm during the burnout. The 1-2 shift happend at around 6,500 rpm.

Now it has a Weiand 8150 and a Summit 600 carb with 275/60/15s and is much more tame for the street and highway. The 650 double pumper will eventually go back on.

Right now my 4-speed is making deadly noises, wonder why

Its a '79 so who cares.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 12-04-2015 at 05:27 PM.
F22 (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 05:38 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Beating On Cars

In my late teens and early 20's I used to beat the crap out of my '59 Chevrolet. But after a half dozen blown transmissions, a dozen blown rear ends, about a dozen snapped axles, and countless tires I began to get the picture. Beating on a car causes breakage and that breakage costs MONEY to fix it. Now at 68 years old and living on Social Security I take care of my cars because I rely on them to get me where I need to go.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
Every chance I get. I break it a lot, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl88L02NAu8

That video was back when I had a super vic intake and a 650 double pumper with little 225/60/15 tires! If you look closely, you can see the tachometer exceed 7,000 rpm during the burnout. The 1-2 shift happend at around 6,500 rpm.

Now it has a Weiand 8150 and a Summit 600 carb with 275/60/15s and is much more tame for the street and highway. The 650 double pumper will eventually go back on.

Right now my 4-speed is making deadly noises, wonder why

Its a '79 so who cares.
I actually giggled like a kid watching that. I drive mine the same way, (But my big block is limited to 5400 rpm so I dont blow it up)
Old 12-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Irrelevant

Originally Posted by 76Rat
Wow! I think you need a hug.

I don't know if you knew this or not but, reality shows are NOT reality.

It's your responsibility to teach your kids right from wrong.

As far as how you drive your car. There is a time and place for everything. I've seen more people destroy things under 40mph because they don't know how to drive or handle the power of a vehicle. Speed is not the cause of accidents, people are.

Flame on!
I get plenty of hugs.

I don't care what you call it, reality or not, it is something America should be ashamed of....nothing but fake B.S. drama with no value. In most cases, people should be ashamed of the behavior. If you think it is entertaining, good for you.

Saying people can hurt themselves at 40 mph does in no way makes irresponsible high speed driving any less irresponsible. Fact is driving at 100 mph is more dangerous than 40 mph by any common sense standard. Its just physics. Note to self - when you make a counterpoint, it should in some way dispute the initial point made with a logical argument. Saying people kill themselves at 40 mph is a fact, but means little else. People kill themselves standing still. So what.

Saying there is a time and place for everything is proof of my point when it comes to..... "xxxx's". NO, there is no time and place for driving high speeds on public roads. If you do, you are irresponsible, selfish, and dangerous. You want to race, do it on a track, you have no right to endanger others for your own thrills.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 12-04-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Folks need to decide how they choose to use their own Vettes- nobody gets to decide that for somebody else. How to behave on public roads is a whole different discussion and I'm not going there.

Here's a short video of me having fun last summer. Basically, it's a practice run prior to an event where I "race" an airplane. It's an exhibition done every year and the crowd loves it. More details are in the video description.

An acquaintance's father who was watching, 70+ years old, asked me after this run if it wasn't hard on the car to use it that way. I explained that I built the car with parts made for this purpose and it has handled it without complaint. He may not have totally understood but he seemed satisfied with the explanation.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Luce
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

OK, so you guys are posting airplanes and motorcycles, I'll play. Here's me and my Cobra.

I haven't beat on the C3 too much yet because it's the wifes, and I want the tired old 350 to hang on a few more months, but everyting I own gets to see the full range of the right pedal.

For reference, the speedo is to the right of the AC vent, and 12 oclock is 80 MPH, and it's labeled at the 20s. Yea, I'm hitting 140 a few times in the straights.

Last edited by Luce; 12-04-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Jason Staley (12-06-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 10:55 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I get plenty of hugs.

I don't care what you call it, reality or not, it is something America should be ashamed of....nothing but fake B.S. drama with no value. In most cases, people should be ashamed of the behavior. If you think it is entertaining, good for you.

Saying people can hurt themselves at 40 mph does in no way makes irresponsible high speed driving any less irresponsible. Fact is driving at 100 mph is more dangerous than 40 mph by any common sense standard. Its just physics. Note to self - when you make a counterpoint, it should in some way dispute the initial point made with a logical argument. Saying people kill themselves at 40 mph is a fact, but means little else. People kill themselves standing still. So what.

Saying there is a time and place for everything is proof of my point when it comes to..... "xxxx's". NO, there is no time and place for driving high speeds on public roads. If you do, you are irresponsible, selfish, and dangerous. You want to race, do it on a track, you have no right to endanger others for your own thrills.
Now you hurt my feelings. The guys at the bar told me not to get to upset. I thanked them and bought them another round.
Note to self - try not to pay attention to the rants posted by people who like to blame everyone but themselves for the problems in their lives.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:25 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

the vette breaks even without beating on it, never gonna be a frame off, so a surprise is always lurking, with or without the gas pedal
Old 12-05-2015, 12:39 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

the vette breaks even without beating on it, never gonna be a frame off, so a surprise is always lurking, with or without the gas pedal
That's for sure! The to-do list will never end, ever.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:37 AM
ex9850
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If beat on it means to race it. Of course I do.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:39 AM
racervette69
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Of You "Beat On" Your C3's?

Old 12-06-2015, 07:53 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by racervette69

no leaning what you got for suspension?
Old 12-06-2015, 08:17 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by F22
In front of the Shop.

Nice dog. Reminds me of a joke about true love. Here goes. Lock your wife in the trunk (not a vette of course) on a hot day and drive around for an hour. Now, lock your dog in the same trunk and drive around for an hour. When you opened the trunk, which one was happy to see you?
F22 (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 09:15 AM
racervette69
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

no leaning what you got for suspension?
Years of trial and error and NO rear bar. Getting the camber, caster and toe spot on. Removed almost all of the bump steer front and rear. No rubber mounts on any suspension points. All metal to metal. Ryder/CVC Apex Rear 5 link. Nascar roller bearing sway bar up front. Bilstiens re valved. Softer spring rates than some guys are running on the street. WT is just right. Easy to balance with your brake, gas and wheel input. And long time done hillclimbing or club racing. Dont even enjoy watching anymore.

Last edited by racervette69; 12-06-2015 at 09:54 AM.
F22 (12-06-2015)

Quick Reply: How Many Of You "Beat On" Your C3's?