C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header/Sidepipes vs headers true duals

Old 12-04-2015, 07:57 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Header/Sidepipes vs headers true duals

I am finally at the exhaust portion of my restomod on my 77 4spd. The motor is a freshened up L48 that is totally stock.
I have been wanting Hooker, Dougs or OBX side headers and side pipes since I got the car but many people have told me that a stock L48 would sound better with long tube headers, 2-1/2" true dual exhaust into Flowmaster 40's. I want the car to sound loud and mean.
I have also been told by several people that side pipes are a nice novelty but I will grow sick of the noise and the burns on my legs or hands. I was also looking at those resonated exhaust systems but I really like the simplicity of the side headers into side pipes.
Are there any serious drawbacks to the side headers/side pipes option that I am not considering?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Put them on, they do have thier appeal
Old 12-04-2015, 10:08 AM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

I dislike side pipes for all the reasons you've mentioned, plus A) IMO they ruin the lines of the C3 body, and B) Nothing beats the efficiency of factory dual exhaust mufflers from the early '70s for flow and noise reduction. A good set of headers (long or short), a crossover pipe and the early mufflers will do a better job than almost anything you can buy. Bear in mind that I haven't worked with these cars in almost 35 years. The original mufflers may not be available now, and I don't know if the Corvair mufflers that were claimed to be almost as good back then are available either. However, I'm sure there are suitable alternatives without resorting to glasspack-style exhaust (ugh).
The following users liked this post:
7t9l82 (12-06-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

If it's not a DD and you don't do long trips, then side pipes. You can live with the noise that's why you have a vette Put heat shields on so you don't burn your legs. The body lines of the C3 cry out for side pipes and make the car look a helluva lot better. More pros than cons for side pipes imo. I love my Hookers!

Last edited by resdoggie; 12-04-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 778 Likes on 533 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Side mount headers w/spiral turbo inserts.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:02 AM
rays699
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Side mount headers w/spiral turbo inserts.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:25 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
If it's not a DD and you don't do long trips, then side pipes. You can live with the noise that's why you have a vette Put heat shields on so you don't burn your legs. The body lines of the C3 cry out for side pipes and make the car look a helluva lot better. More pros than cons for side pipes imo. I love my Hookers!

Love my side pipes with Dean's heat shields. Love the sound too. How loud it is, is up to you depending on the inserts used.

Before:

After:

Old 12-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You said in your post that you wanted it to "sound loud and mean". If so then the side pipes will do just that and as stated above get a set of shields for them.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Dream Theater Fan
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 31 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C3 of the Year Winner

I love mine. I get many compliments on the look and sound.

e

d
Old 12-04-2015, 12:39 PM
jgcable
Racer

So...headers and side pipes it is. I want black. My options are Hooker, Dougs and Maximizer. The Hookers and Dougs are about $150 more than the Maximizers because I "think" that the Maximizer set comes with the Headers, the side pipes and the insert baffles but they don't come with the hardware to install the side pipes.
I assume I will need to get baffles for the Dougs or the Hookers or do I? I want the car loud but since its a stock L48 motor should I be concerned about lack of back pressure. I remember in the old days running headers and cherry bomb header mufflers in an old mopar and it would bog because of lack of back pressure.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:42 PM
jgcable
Racer

I assume you have a 76? If so... did you buy insert baffles for yours and if so.. which ones? I want to stay away from heat shields if I can.
Also... did you need the alternator bracket?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:48 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, black Hooker sidemounts here (BBC). Tho their factory paint doesn't seem to hold up very well at all, I've had excellent results over the years painting mine with high-temp/BBQ paint, heating them up so they "steam" a little during application (strip/clean them 1st). But, if I could afford I'd have Jet Hot coat them. IIRC, you can buy them already done with your pick of finishes directly from JH.

Also, I'm trying real hard not to post anything offensive regarding my opinion as to the drone of open pipes on a less than hi-perf engine; suffice it to say I rather strongly recommend you install some type of insert, whichever you may find has a preferable exhaust note. Lots of good choices out there.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:02 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I run sidepipes with STS baffles on a highly modified engine and could not be any happier with the result. Yes, it's loud. But it is "appropriate". It isn't painful and it isn't a "drone". It's not irritating. It's just not quiet.

I run covers, which are imperative. You must get them, period.

I pulled mine out of the box, and immediately sandblasted them and put high-heat paint on them. They still look as good as the day I installed them with 1.5 years and well over 2k miles at this point.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:20 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Sidepipes are more for looks/show, particularly with a stock engine. It felt like I lost some low end torque with mine. There are other annoyances, but I really like the way they look. Another advantage is it's easier to work underneath the car, you don't have an exhaust system to take down. I personally like the way a properly designed dual exhaust sounds over sidepipes. That is just my personal preference though. You can burn yourself on them, but that can be overcome with shields, which look awesome too. I don't like when my window is down, I get the smell of exhaust coming in when sitting at the light. I really hate that the most. It's really better coming out the back.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:20 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by jgcable
I assume you have a 76? If so... did you buy insert baffles for yours and if so.. which ones? I want to stay away from heat shields if I can.
Also... did you need the alternator bracket?
The Hooker's don't come with baffles but are sold separately which means you have choices. I went with the Hooker MaxFlow inserts. They are loud but I get a lot of compliments on how they sound. I can't recall if you need an alternator bracket as I use an aftermarket billet bracket. If you have A/C I think you will need a new mounting bracket.

Last edited by resdoggie; 12-04-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:32 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

But, if I could afford I'd have Jet Hot coat them. IIRC, you can buy them already done with your pick of finishes directly from JH.
I'd do this with any long tube headers. A HUGE difference in heat emissions off the pipes, which also makes a big difference in under hood heat, which is then going to make a big difference in your cabin heat/comfort.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:39 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
I dislike side pipes for all the reasons you've mentioned, plus A) IMO they ruin the lines of the C3 body
I agree with most of what you said except this (which is a matter of personal preference) but I think the sidepipes actually compliment the lines of a C3. There are not many cars that look right with sidepipes, C3's do however. But I agree with you on the performance statements, along with some other annoyances. I know my opinions on this subject may not be aligned with the general forum opinions, but my opinions are based on my preferences and direct experiences. Honestly, I am considering going back to true duals on my 81. Although I will miss admiring the looks of my sidepipes as I walk by...

Get notified of new replies

To Header/Sidepipes vs headers true duals

Old 12-04-2015, 04:06 PM
jgcable
Racer

What baffle would be the best one to get for a stock L48 4spd? I know that Hooker makes 3 types. Reverse Flow, Glasspack and Maximum Flo. Which one would be the best choice for a stock motor?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:20 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

For a stock motor, imho, it would depend on how loud you want it seeing an L-48 isn't big on performance by today's standards.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

For a stock motor, imho, it would depend on how loud you want it seeing an L-48 isn't big on performance by today's standards.
were they ever big on performace?

I wouldn't do it on a stock engine but, that's me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Header/Sidepipes vs headers true duals