C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 what can come loose in a power window door?

Old 12-28-2015, 06:07 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default 1982 what can come loose in a power window door?

something is clunking when i slam the door and operate the power windows, seems like it's near the bottom, maybe someone knows of a "typical" failure in that area?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
something is clunking when i slam the door and operate the power windows, seems like it's near the bottom, maybe someone knows of a "typical" failure in that area?
I found the spring in the bottom of one of my doors. That window rolled down really fast.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:31 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Illegal Vette
I found the spring in the bottom of one of my doors. That window rolled down really fast.
one thing after another, time to open it up
Old 12-28-2015, 06:32 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Does it sound like metal to metal? The connecting links between the door handle bell crank and the latch have rubber grommets around them so they shouldn't make any metal to metal noise unless a grommet slipped into another position. You'll have to remove the inner door panel to see what's hitting what. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Does it sound like metal to metal? The connecting links between the door handle bell crank and the latch have rubber grommets around them so they shouldn't make any metal to metal noise unless a grommet slipped into another position. You'll have to remove the inner door panel to see what's hitting what. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
deep thud, metallic like glass seems like it's loose and swinging in there
Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...something is clunking when i slam the door...
Doors will close without slamming.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Its your window regulator spring... They get loose or break.. common issue

Last edited by fishslayer143; 12-29-2015 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spilled my coffee
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

There's a motor/regulator brace that breaks and lets the assembly bang when the door is closed.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...acket-rh-68-82
Old 12-29-2015, 12:29 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Doors will close without slamming.
not girlfriend mad slamming, but making sure it shuts at the second notch slamming
Old 12-29-2015, 12:30 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '75
There's a motor/regulator brace that breaks and lets the assembly bang when the door is closed.

that's one hunk of a metal to give out
Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

that's one hunk of a metal to give out
Probably from years of slamming.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:36 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '75
Probably from years of slamming.
going in after breakfast, i'll know soon enough, hope it's a free fix, like a loose bolt
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

going in after breakfast, i'll know soon enough, hope it's a free fix, like a loose bolt

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by '75

BUT a 1982 should ALSO have bolt that secures the power window motor to the access plate.

ALSO....the factory power window regulators were riveted in (bad idea)...and if any of the three rivets begin to loosen...and the bolt in the access plate is left out or the screws that secure the access plate to the door housing....the regulator will begin to shift and move when the window is raised and lowered over time...and actually begin to wear slots in the steel of the door itself.

DUB
Old 12-29-2015, 08:37 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB

BUT a 1982 should ALSO have bolt that secures the power window motor to the access plate.

ALSO....the factory power window regulators were riveted in (bad idea)...and if any of the three rivets begin to loosen...and the bolt in the access plate is left out or the screws that secure the access plate to the door housing....the regulator will begin to shift and move when the window is raised and lowered over time...and actually begin to wear slots in the steel of the door itself.

DUB
you nailed sir, i went in and that is what i learned, missing bolt on access panel (center hole)

alarm installer put the actuator here, nice spot

aluminum rivets distorting for sure and loose

bubba attemp from PO's mechanics to quiet the bounce, i put in the missing screw to help secure, i suppose bubba the alarm installer left it out in the rush to rip and tear,

and left out the bolt you spoke about here

i had to muscle the motor to align the bolt holes you were right it needs the bolts to "position" the motor and tracks while running otherwise it shooting pool with a wet noodle, which was happening

all is good now, thanks

Last edited by slickfx3; 12-29-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Glad you pot it !!!!

BUT I can not see the bottom rivet for the bracket that was posted in an earlier post #8. It could have broken off....and even though you were missing the bolt in the access panel. At the bottom of the regulator THIS BRACKET gets pop riveted to the door frame. Just 'saying'. And that small hex head bolt you pointed to (photo #4 in the above post)...is more than likely ONE of the screws for your access panel. It does NOT belong there....for the record.

....but honestly..(because I have to 'say' this for others who may see this thread)...working on Corvette doors and knowing 'things' about them. The alarm installer who installed the blue solenoid/actuator should have their head examined for putting that solenoid where they put it. It shows a total lack of KNOWLEDGE....because there is a place where this actuator solenoid can go an not effect service work in the future. Hopefully you did not pay a lot for the install because it shows.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-30-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:19 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
Glad you pot it !!!!

BUT I can not see the bottom rivet for the bracket that was posted in an earlier post #8. It could have broken off....and even though you were missing the bolt in the access panel. At the bottom of the regulator THIS BRACKET gets pop riveted to the door frame. Just 'saying'. And that small hex head bolt you pointed to (photo #4 in the above post)...is more than likely ONE of the screws for your access panel. It does NOT belong there....for the record.

....but honestly..(because I have to 'say' this for others who may see this thread)...working on Corvette doors and knowing 'things' about them. The alarm installer who installed the blue solenoid/actuator should have their head examined for putting that solenoid where they put it. It shows a total lack of KNOWLEDGE....because there is a place where this actuator solenoid can go an not effect service work in the future. Hopefully you did not pay a lot for the install because it shows.

DUB
i saw the little hole and the screw does hold it more securely, even though it does not belong there

idk where the bracket suppose to be, but the unit is not loose any more

call me bubba jr. you got a picture of how it should be?

yes, i have taken the actuator of to access the lock plate, so it's rather easy, i feel it is a good spot direct and with authority

and i paid the going rate for key less entry and a viper alarm, making life a whole lot easier

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 what can come loose in a power window door?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1982 what can come loose in a power window door?