C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1981 Auto to Ford V6 T5 Transmission Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:10 AM
68blvert
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

That style vss was still driven by a gear mounted on the output shaft. Don"t think ford went to a reluctor wheel on output until late 90's but I could be wrong. At any rate speedo drive gear can still be swapped for the right one and then use ford to gm adapter driven assembly.
The following users liked this post:
Zero1Niner (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 12:17 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
You can buy an adapter to convert to mechanical. Let me know if you need the vendor. I've got the part in my garage waiting to be installed.
Hey Jim,

Did you take pics of your install?
Old 01-13-2016, 06:51 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner
Not sure if anyone knows Sly Vette on this forum, but he mentioned the jeep 'iron duke' bellhousing (which is basically what this is) on a very old thread, but looks like he hasnt been on here for a few years. Does anyone know if he is still around? I was hoping to pick his brain on this.
He's active on Digital Corvettes forum.
Zero1Niner (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 06:56 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner
Hey Jim,

Did you take pics of your install?
I'm taking pics as I go along, but I'm not fully installed yet. Did initial test fit and need about another 1/2" forward to fully seat tranny into pilot bushing. Will be making some adjustments and another test fit this weekend.

Give me a call if you want to compare notes.
Zero1Niner (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

I'm taking pics as I go along, but I'm not fully installed yet. Did initial test fit and need about another 1/2" forward to fully seat tranny into pilot bushing. Will be making some adjustments and another test fit this weekend.

Love it. Thanks for that. As soon as I have some notes to compare! Im way behind you. My plan is to collect out a few more things and tighten my plan of attack just a bit more (make sure these parts will play nice together). Im buried at work until the beginning of February. So Im planning on pulling the TH350 in Feb. Guessing it will be down for a while.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

If you have the time, create a new thread on your install as you go! I ask that selfishly so I can benefit from your pain
Old 01-16-2016, 09:34 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Zero1Niner,

Not sure if this is applicable to your bellhousing but I found a manufacturer that sells a clutch kit made to mount a Ford tranny to a Chevy V8 bellhousing. I was suprised someone actually made this kit. It uses the pressure plate for a Chevy and a clutch disk for a Ford 28 spline.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Zero1Niner,

Not sure if this is applicable to your bellhousing but I found a manufacturer that sells a clutch kit made to mount a Ford tranny to a Chevy V8 bellhousing. I was suprised someone actually made this kit. It uses the pressure plate for a Chevy and a clutch disk for a Ford 28 spline.

Hey Jim. Yeah that would be great. My Trans is a 10 spline. Maybe they make one for my setup too. Do you have a link or a phone number you can post?

Quick Reply: My 1981 Auto to Ford V6 T5 Transmission Conversion