C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing striker pins

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 04:06 PM
rmgny44
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Replacing striker pins

On my '72 Coupe I have to slam the drivers side door pretty hard to get it to close completely. The door seems to be aligned pretty well and doesn't seem to be sagging at all. What I did notice is that the striker pin bushing is missing. I'm not really mechanically inclined but changing these out seems pretty simple. Do I just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one? Or am I missing something?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Striker just screws in. It is adjustable so plate it attaches to can move, so you want to mark its location. Hopefully when you install new one it's correct but you could have to tweak it a little. You do want to look at door hinge pins and bushings for wear. They tend to cause door(s) to be hard to open or close.

Last edited by Kevova; 01-25-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi r,
Welcome!!!! First post!
You might want to push the door fully closed while the striker is removed.
It should line up satisfactorily at it's rear gaps without the striker in place.
Often when a door needs to be slammed to close it's because the hinges at it's front need to be adjusted or the pivot pin bushings are worn.
Both of these things can cause the door to sag at it's rear gap and forces the striker to have to "lift' the door as the striker enters the latching mechanism in the door.
So, check for that while you have a chance.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi r,
Welcome!!!! First post!
You might want to push the door fully closed while the striker is removed.
It should line up satisfactorily at it's rear gaps without the striker in place.
Often when a door needs to be slammed to close it's because the hinges at it's front need to be adjusted or the pivot pin bushings are worn.
Both of these things can cause the door to sag at it's rear gap and forces the striker to have to "lift' the door as the striker enters the latching mechanism in the door.
So, check for that while you have a chance.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

This is some good information!

Also, did you put new w/s on the door? A lot of times when new w/s is installed it will take some time before it will settle in, and allow easer closing of the door.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I just recently replaced my striker pin - and now I wonder why I hadn't done it up til now. It's a breeze to shut the car door with the new pin.

That said, I had door sag and fixed that many years ago (rebushed the hinge pins). It could be that my striker was worn out from having been in that condition for a while.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing striker pins

Quick Reply: Replacing striker pins