C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gauge lights not working on an 81 c3

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 PM
dewcrazzy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gauge lights not working on an 81 c3

I just picked up an 81 and the dash lights where the tach and speedo are working and the light in the shifter area is working, but the lights in the gauge area are not working. I put new bulbs in today and still not working. The seatbelt and other side bulbs work just not the ones you need during night driving. Can't see a thing at night. All gauges even the clock works and keeps great time. Please help!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:37 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dewcrazzy
I just picked up an 81 and the dash lights where the tach and speedo are working and the light in the shifter area is working, but the lights in the gauge area are not working. I put new bulbs in today and still not working. The seatbelt and other side bulbs work just not the ones you need during night driving. Can't see a thing at night. All gauges even the clock works and keeps great time. Please help!

The center gauge cluster needs to be grounded for the lights to work. But I don't remember how they're grounded so maybe another forum member can chime in.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:42 AM
dewcrazzy
Intermediate

it's weird how the 4 side lights work like fasten seatbelts and check engine but nothing in the gauge area.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check the IP fuse. Turn the headlight **** up. Interior lights are on a dimmer as part of the headlight switch. Your owner's manual explains it.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 AM
dewcrazzy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Check the IP fuse. Turn the headlight **** up. Interior lights are on a dimmer as part of the headlight switch. Your owner's manual explains it.
I've turned the dimmer switch and it dims the dash lights and nothing on the gauge side.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:16 AM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Perhaps the circuit board has damage .
Old 02-02-2016, 09:43 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by righthanddrive
Perhaps the circuit board has damage .
Probably needs a new circuit board as they tend to deteriorate after 30-40 years
Old 02-02-2016, 12:57 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If the speedo and tach lights are working then the fuse is good. The speedo and tach housing lamps are served by the same power circuit. My guess is there is an issue at the pcb connector.

The power to the lights is the top wire on the right in the picture below. Pull the connector from the pcb and see if that wire has power on it when the lamps are on. Then verify the ground for the circuit

It's always a good idea to test the bulb after it is installed in the socket. You do this by touching power and ground to the terminal on the side of the housing before installation. Verifying the bulb will eliminate it as a source of the issue and it is common for the tiny wires on the side of the bulbs to not make contact with the inner terminals. Sometimes you have to pull the bulb out and bend that wire slightly outward.

The following users liked this post:
64roadster (02-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To gauge lights not working on an 81 c3

Quick Reply: gauge lights not working on an 81 c3