C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long storage on a 2 post lift

Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Rcdizy
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default long storage on a 2 post lift

From reading other threads, It seemed inconclusive whether or not a structurally sound C3 coupe should be stored on a 2 post lift or not, over winters.

or will the frame bend and the door gaps change, etc.

I always wanted a 2 post lift, but need to know or I will stop looking for one.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 PM
USA-OSC
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious but why do you need to store up on 2 post lift? When my car is up on lift the gaps change noticeably. I would not store in that way because of stress and the possibility of structure memorizing it. Just my $0.02
Old 02-12-2016, 12:01 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

My Car was on a 2 post for 6 months not a single gap change or frame problem , add to that I was constantly opening and closing the doors to wire and change the interior.

But People seam sold on the concept if you lift it and your body gaps go wacky that is normal. I disagree from personal experience

I am here to say if your car does that check you mounts , frame and bird cage
Old 02-12-2016, 01:38 AM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with Diehard, my 75 was on the 2 post lift last Jan Feb brakes & suspension.
On now since Christmas, getting a 700R4 trans when I put it on the ground it looks great.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Luce
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Fiberglass can flex and if left deformed for long periods, permanently take on the deformed shape to varying degrees.

But the car is on a steel frame. Steel flexes, but unless flexed beyond it's elastic range, when the force is removed, it'll flex back. In order to bend a frame, you must flex it beyond its yield point.

SO, yes, when on the lift, the margins can change. When you put it back down, it will return to its original state unless you lift it so fast and hard (or it's so rusted) that you flex it beyond they yield point. If you leave it on the lift for long periods, it can shift a little, but leave it on the ground and it will eventually return to the shape it has settled into over the last 40 years.

I don't think I would leave it on the lift more than 12 months at a time or you may need to let it set on the ground for 12-18 months to let it sag back into shape IF you can see changes over that time period.

My 2 cents, and worth about that.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:17 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I would agree with others. Yes, the frame flexes. I normally jack the front of my car up from under the engine cradle (ya...I know...the PO dented it and I grab the rear lip of it with the rubber pad on my jack) and place my front jack stands on the frame as near the fronts of the doors as I can.

It is impressive how much the nose drops as I release pressure on the jack. I haven't measured it, but I may be scared to all the same.

I haven't noticed a similar thing on the rear. Perhaps it's just all the engine weight.

But as others have correctly pointed out, this is WELL within the elastic limits of the metal, so there is absolutely zero risk of memory.

As far as the "is it good for the car" question, I think of it like this: If I am driving my car in a "spirited" manner on a hilly road, I can do a pretty exceptional job of unloading the front tires cresting a hill. That would very nearly approximate this same thing, but in a much more violent manner. A car doing a wheelstand? Same thing. Much more violent.

They all seem to survive.

I think we can treat our Corvette's to a "rest" without fear of permanent damage.

I would not hesitate to store my car on a 2-post lift any more or less than I would store my car on a 4-post lift for an extended period of time. Both have their downsides.

From discussing the matter with folks, the very (very) general feeling is that a 2-post lift offers more opportunity to work unencumbered under the car. Given that there is no conclusive evidence of it 'hurting' the car any more or less, I'd probably give my 'nod' to the 2-post lift for that reason.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:16 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcdizy
From reading other threads, It seemed inconclusive whether or not a structurally sound C3 coupe should be stored on a 2 post lift or not, over winters.

or will the frame bend and the door gaps change, etc.

I always wanted a 2 post lift, but need to know or I will stop looking for one.
It'll be just fine.

P.S. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
It'll be just fine.

P.S. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
I've stored mine on the 2 post lift the last 2 winters, no problem.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine was stored on a lift for most of it's 19k mile life. The only problem that is had when I got it and started driving it was it sat higher then stock. Seems the springs may have re-arched themselves a little from the wheel hanging. ? Not sure how that was possible and I have never heard of that happening, but.... No changes in door gaps, or other frame/body related issues though. They still look factory.

Last edited by Redhook98; 02-13-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:12 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Ask Mythbusters to do a show....

Last edited by mikem350; 02-13-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,243 Likes on 3,897 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I had mine on jack stands for the last 2 months. 1/4 change at the top rear of the doors. I just put it down tonight and its back to normal. I did notice my body mounts are failing so thats next winters project
Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

I store mine on the lift most winters, at least 5 months, no problems with mine...
Old 02-15-2016, 12:28 PM
V8 BUG
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your worried about it just get the wheel adaptors for the 2-post. I think bendpac makes them

Get notified of new replies

To long storage on a 2 post lift

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: long storage on a 2 post lift