C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Actuator Lever

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Parking Brake Actuator Lever

I am working on a 79 that I am bring back to life. The Rear parking brake cables were seized.
I bought new stainless cables. In the old cable removal, It appears that the actuator lever slipped out from between the two shoes. Now, its just flopping around, doing nothing. Is there any way to get that actuator lever back in place, between the two shoes without removing the rotor ?

If I have to remove the rotor, how do I back off on the brake shoes for clearance since there is no adjustment hole in either rotor ?

Thanks
8Valve
Old 02-15-2016, 11:41 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 8valve
I am working on a 79 that I am bring back to life. The Rear parking brake cables were seized.
I bought new stainless cables. In the old cable removal, It appears that the actuator lever slipped out from between the two shoes. Now, its just flopping around, doing nothing. Is there any way to get that actuator lever back in place, between the two shoes without removing the rotor ?

If I have to remove the rotor, how do I back off on the brake shoes for clearance since there is no adjustment hole in either rotor ?

Thanks
8Valve
Since you say their isn't any adjustment holes then the rotors have been previously replaced ( rivits removed )

There are 2 adjustment holes provided the rotors where installed correctly. You need to rotate the rotor until it lines up.

If the holes have been covered up by improper rotor install it will take some effort to remove. But if the actuator is flopping around the shoes will collapes easily and the rotor should slide off.

Then you will need to re-install the rotors anyways (align with parking adjustment holes) to do the proper parking brake adjustment. To remove the rotors requires you to remove the calipers and you can check the actuator at that time.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 02-15-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 AM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, rivets removed. I did not think about the shoes pulling in a little with the actuator not in proper place. Makes good sense. So tonight, the rotors come off...both sides were put on with no adjusting holes visible. Just another bubba job the PO did on this car. Thank You

8Valve

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Since you say their isn't any adjustment holes then the rotors have been previously replaced ( rivits removed )

There are 2 adjustment holes provided the rotors where installed correctly. You need to rotate the rotor until it lines up.

If the holes have been covered up by improper rotor install it will take some effort to remove. But if the actuator is flopping around the shoes will collapes easily and the rotor should slide off.

Then you will need to re-install the rotors anyways (align with parking adjustment holes) to do the proper parking brake adjustment. To remove the rotors requires you to remove the calipers and you can check the actuator at that time.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:27 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, the rotor is off and I instantly saw the problem with the actuator flopping around. BUBBA STRUCK AGAIN !!!!!

But first a little history on this 79. Last fall, I was looking for a full winter project.
I did not want to build any more Classic Trucks with Cummins B3.9 engines/NV-4500's. Wanted something different. I have owned Corvettes since 1973, first was a 1970 LT-1, which stupidly I sold OUCH ! I now own as clean a 95, 6 speed red on red that you could ever find. I wanted another C3. This 1979 showed up on a bulletin board in the village. The car needed tons of work, including paint. On inspection, I realized what I was buying into. What I did not realize was all the hidden BUBBA work done that had to be corrected. I made a super low ball offer which was accepted. Since Sept 18, last year, I have been fix'n all the Bubba work.
Honestly, everything was wrong, the only good thing with the car, was that the tires held air so far all winter. So I got the winter project, but much more involved than I figured.

Now the rest of the story on the actuator lever. For sure it was flopping around. BUBBA had put new stainless shoes and a actuator on the right rear. Then Bubba must have a bad day and put the rotor back on. But, BUBBA forgot to also add the brake adjuster and the top and bottom return springs. The shoes were flopping around inside only held by the spring retainer pins/springs and keepers.

I have a parking brake stainless rebuild kit now ordered. When that arrives I will
put the parking brake together properly. With this revelation, there is no question that the left parking brake must be also torn down. Watch out for Bubba !!

8Valve

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brake Actuator Lever

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Actuator Lever