C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Richmond 6 speed transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 12:43 AM
454Can-Am
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (SIGNGUY)

TKO is the way to go..............
You can also check out http://www.darkhorseperformance.com and talk to Fred
He's got the Tremec's also !!! Rick :chevy
Old 09-04-2002, 01:17 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (454Can-Am)

If you guys need some shots of the ROD conversion & some cool ideas, there are tons of shots on my site.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:19 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (542C2)

Thanks, MassVette! As you are well aware of a project like this takes a lot of time and hard work. By the sounds and looks of it you have done your share of work also. It looks like your '79 is the one you like to modify and the '67 is the one you don't want to alter too much. Both of those cars are gorgeous! Definitely something to be proud of. What color is your '79? It really looks good in that picture.

Now that my son's '69 is done I am back to working on the '67.

I bought a G-Force clutch assisted racing 5-speed that I am installing right now. What a piece of cake! The only thing I am having to modify is the trans mount. It just needs to be extended back about an inch or so. This trans is designed to withstand 1200hp or more so even when I install nitrous I will be ok.

I can't wait to take it for a drive with this tranny. Unfortunately I will be out of town for a few days this week which will postpone the completion. I have taken some side by side pictures of the G-Force 5spd and the Richmond 6spd that I will be posting over in the C2 area within the next few days.

Steve
The '79 is a 2001 Lincoln optional color- Autumn Red pearlescent. Thanks for the nice comments. It's appreciated- especially from a guy with your eye and hand.

:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 09-04-2002, 11:30 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (Captain Morgan)

Reposting this for MassVette to see and respond to. I'm seriously contemplating a 5 or 6 speed tranny also but would like as much info as possible.

In my 1979, we relocated the trans. mount to the front of the removeable crossmember. ... On the 1967, we also relocated the trans. mount to the front of the crossmember- same as the '79. But because it was a 4 speed car to begin with, the crossmember was welded in.

Okay, my 79 has a 4 speed with the welded in crossmember. Not really an issue because I would install the new tranny when I pull the engine. However, what exactly is involved in relocating the trans. mount? Is it just a few simple bolts? Or is fabrication involved?
The mount is basically an angle bar with two drilled holes welded to the front of the crossmember. My '67 (which BTW has the same basic frame as the C-3) because it is a factory 4-speed car, has the welded-in crossmember. If you want to install the trans. without pulling the motor, then a removeable crossmember would be advisable. Sawzalls work wonders in that department.
Bob Turner and Noel Carboni on this forum both have a series of photos available showing the step-by-step installation of the R.O.D. in the C-3.
Merlin's website has tons of pictures of the drivetrain, too.
:yesnod: :chevy :yesnod:
Old 09-04-2002, 01:10 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (Captain Morgan)

Seems like a lot of work involved installing the 5 speed.....none of which I did....I made the rear trans bracket, changed out to the TH400 yoke, got a combo U-joint, removed the tranny's tail shaft housing so that I wouldn't have to cut the crossmember, installed the tranny, put the tail housing back on...shortened the Hurst shift rods and tranny arms, shifts, smooth.

Think you guys are reading too much stuff, getting bogged down in too much information and detail.....ask the guys who actually installed the transmissions what entails, don't rely on publications.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (GDaina)

Shame on you George Daina!!! Withholding such a straight forward remedy for the cross member dilema. Yet, I'm still not sure if I have even enough room to remove the tail shaft with the longer 6 speed. 'Twould be great if there is! :cheers:

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 09-04-2002, 02:06 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

George is right. You guys are going overboard on the install of the Richmond, especially the 5-speed. Sure, cutting the crossmember makes the job a bit easier but its by no means a requirement. The issue is the clearance of the tail section of the trans and the crossmember. Its pretty tough to raise the trans into position, slip it over the crossmember far enough to get in input shaft into the bell housing, and slide it forward. Hell, I had to replace the rear freeze plug in my 71 454 and getting the muncie back in was tough! The old Richmond Installation Manual for the 5-speed in 63-82 Corvettes suggested removing the tail section, installing the trans, and reinstalling the tail section. I bet they had too many warrantee recalls to maintain that instruction but it is still viable.

You can forgo all this if you install the engine and trans at once. Both the 5-speed and 6-speed Richmonds will fit in a fixed crossmember car if the whole drivetrain is installed and slid back as a unit. The other suggestion is to 'half-remove' the engine by pulling the exhaust, fan, radiator, etc. and lift the engine and slide it forward. Then the trans can be lifted into place and the whole shebang slid back onto the mounts.

The 6-speed is pretty tight. I measured everything when I had the trans out of the 71 and the ROD 6 mount is barely in front of the crossmember. The 5-speed has more clearance. As mentioned, the removable stamped trans mount either must be replaced or modified. Seeing its a $30 repro part I do see that as daunting.

Here's a diagram of how an ROD would fit with a fixed crossmember:

Here's 2 pics of groovyjay's slick Richmond 5 installation with a custom mount (thanks jay). Look, NO CUTTING of the crossmember!

You can see that the ROD 6 will also fit but the trans mount is about 1 1/2" further aft. That makes it tight but workable.

I'm gonna do a Richmond 5 or 6 on my convertible and intend to install it when the body is off. It doesn't get any easier than that, especially when groovyjay has his fabrication buddy make me up one of those mounts!

[Modified by 69L71, 12:18 PM 9/4/2002]
Old 09-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (69L71)

I think groovyjay needs to market those. :yesnod:
Old 09-04-2002, 05:07 PM
fireball
Racer

Sure, cutting the crossmember makes the job a bit easier but its by no means a requirement.
It may depend on the application. I'll tell you from my install, with the car on jackstands, even with the tailshaft removed, the input shaft on the tranny would not clear the lip of the Lakewood Bellhousing. Notice I said "Lakewood Bellhousing". I'm still not sure if my problem was the blowshield or just not having the car high enough off the ground to get a better angle, but it would not go.

Regardless, I cut the crossmember (easy job with a sawzall) and just bolted it back together using some fabricated steel braces. I also hacked an inch out of the existing tranny mount and welded it back together for the proper spacing. Incidentally, the U-shaped piece I cut out turned into a very nice attachment for a tranny jack. Boy I wish that aluminum mount from groovyjay had been available, would have saved some time.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Groovyjay is using the same poly mount I attempted to use. It sits about 1.5" too high. I had to fabricate my own. Putting the trans in with the engine worked fine for me too, but, it is a bit more of a hassle with the BB than with my SB. Seeing Groovy's pictures pretty much convinces me that my uncertainty of removing the 6 speed's rear housing will not allow enough room. There is no where to go with the housing once you unbolt it! Thanks anyway for the suggestion George.

So, the engine tranny will come out once again to change to the McLeod dual disc clutch/flywheel assembling sitting in the corner of the garage awaiting installation. I will just try to make good use of the empty engine bay and detail "stuff" while the motor is out. It will be easier to install the new cam while the engine is on a stand too. I also need to change out my side yokes for new ones and change the lower leaf spring for a shortened one. I will probably put in an electric fuel pump replacing the high rpm oil spewing new mechanical one from Edelbrock.

It's funny. A lot of guys would think all this to be a major operation. But considering how far I had this car completely disassembled, this seems like a piece of cake by comparison. :yesnod: New, clean parts and bolts make working on a car a much more pleasant experience. However, this is never true for dash work which is always a !@#$ whatever the age of the bolts or parts! :lol:

Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 1:55 PM 9/4/2002]
Old 09-05-2002, 02:41 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW, here's the original Richmond installation instructions for the 5-speed. It details the process and shows how the stamped mount needs to be modified. Amazingly it looks a lot like groovyjay's mount!

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/Richmond_install.pdf
Old 09-05-2002, 11:59 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (fireball)

Sure, cutting the crossmember makes the job a bit easier but its by no means a requirement.

Regardless, I cut the crossmember (easy job with a sawzall) and just bolted it back together using some fabricated steel braces.
Ditto!!!!! :cheers:

Bob
Old 09-06-2002, 05:48 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

This is a great thread, but the guy who started it now says that the ROD is too difficult and expensive---------------

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 09-06-2002, 09:26 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Richmond 6 speed transmission??? (MassVette)

Most of the installation discussion, cutting the crossmember or installing engine/tranny as a combo, is valid for both the ROD and the Tremec. When I was thinking about getting a Tremec (when the economy was good), I was debating which to do. I'm no purist by any means, but I was having a hard time convincing myself to make my crossmember removable. On the other hand, I really didn't want to have to pull the engine to change the clutch.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Parrydise7
8th Gear

I think the Richmond has external shift rails. Have you considered a t56? There are plenty of used ones
Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

The thread is 13 yrs old, hopefully everything was worked out long ago.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 6 speed Richmond

I have a brand new ROD 6 speed with .80 6th that was never installed. I'm about to do the install in my 1980 original 4 speed car Ive been building a couple years.

If anyone reads this with the 80-82 can you tell me if you really need to shorten the yoke to 3.5" to clear the internal speedo drive, and how much longer speedo extension cable do you need.

My car has the nice bolt in cross member so I will cut the center out and fab up a super clean center section.

Thanks Dale
Attached Images     

Last edited by Dale760; 03-30-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Richmond 6 speed transmission???

Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
I have a brand new ROD 6 speed with .80 6th that was never installed. I'm about to do the install in my 1980 original 4 speed car Ive been building a couple years.

If anyone reads this with the 80-82 can you tell me if you really need to shorten the yoke to 3.5" to clear the internal speedo drive, and how much longer speedo extension cable do you need.

My car has the nice bolt in cross member so I will cut the center out and fab up a super clean center section.

Thanks Dale

Wow, pristine
Old 03-31-2016, 11:27 PM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
Wow, pristine

Thanks , well one good thing I found out today at Summit is you can still buy the Richmond 6 speed pattern name plate for the center console, and If I cant find the extended speedo cable at Napa you can still get one from Richmond.

Name plate about $11.00

Short speedo cable extension $65.00

Cheers Dale

Last edited by Dale760; 03-31-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

When I put mine in, I simply checked to see the yoke didn't bottom out on the speedo gear or output shaft. The vet IRS doesn't have much movement for and aft like a live rear axle.

Quick Reply: Richmond 6 speed transmission???