C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 350 Engine Cranks, Starts and immediately dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:39 PM
afnoce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 350 Engine Cranks, Starts and immediately dies

About a week ago, car was driving fine...then out of the blue the engine just dies on me. I cranked the engine a couple more times but couldn't get it to start. Left it alone for about 10-15 minutes and this time it started and was able to get the car back to my garage. I initially suspected maybe vapor lock. But the story continues.

So yesterday I cranked the engine and it started and it was idling for about 5-minutes then died. I tried starting the engine again, it cranks, but would not start. I figure it has to be either fuel not getting to the carb, spark not getting to the engine, or air/fuel mix (vacuum leak?).

What I've tried thus far:

1) Took off the air cleaner and made sure that fuel is squirting into the carb.

2) Took the hose running from the fuel pump to the fuel filter off, put the hose in an empty bottle and cranked the engine to check that the pump is sending fuel to the carb.

3) Installed a new fuel filter

4) Installed a new ignition coil (I know, prob not necessary and should have first checked for strong sparks)

After doing this, I cranked the engine, it started for about a second and a half then dies. Nothing has changed since.

What I haven't yet tried:

1) Replacing the spark plugs and cables
2) Replacing the distributor cap and rotor

What else am I missing? Am I going in the right direction?

If it's a air/fuel mix thing, is it a problem with the carburetor or a vacuum leak...and how do I diagnose?

I'm really frustrated and don't want to have to tow my car to a shop for something that could be a relatively easy fix. Would greatly appreciate your help and advise.

Regards,

Fred
Old 03-03-2016, 03:45 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

from your profile it appears you have a 1969 with what engine?
do you have the stock distributor with points?
if you have points have you checked the point gap either with a dwell meter or feeler gauges?
what carburetor is on the engine?
have you checked the voltage at the positive terminal of the coil with a voltmeter with the key in the run position and when cranking?

Last edited by MelWff; 03-03-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:49 PM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Replace your points and condenser along with a cap and rotor
Old 03-03-2016, 04:05 PM
afnoce
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
from your profile it appears you have a 1969 with what engine?
do you have the stock distributor with points?
if you have points have you checked the point gap either with a dwell meter or feeler gauges?
what carburetor is on the engine?
have you checked the voltage at the positive terminal of the coil with a voltmeter with the key in the run position and when cranking?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's a 69 with a 350 L46 350 engine. The distributor is stock with points. I have not checked the point gap yet, but will do so. It has a Q-Jet carb. Have not checked the voltage at the coil, since I replaced it with a new coil (I figure it should be working fine) but I will certainly check this.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:06 PM
afnoce
Advanced

Originally Posted by righthanddrive
Replace your points and condenser along with a cap and rotor
Thanks for the reply and suggestion...will do.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Beltfedbob
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you start you have 12v hot start wire from the starter solenoid. Once the starter disengages a reduced voltage then supplies power to the coil through a resistor wire. Do you have two wires to the hot side of the coil? If so check for voltage with the key on at that terminal disconnected from the coil. If no voltage you have either a bad ign switch or the resistor wire has burned out.

Last edited by Beltfedbob; 03-03-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Have someone help you, spray starter fluid into the carb and see if the car will run continuously while spraying the starter fluid. If it does, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't, you have an ignition problem.

I had a similar issue with my 70 L-46. While fuel was getting to the carb and to the accelerator pump, the idle circuit had become clogged. It would run for a few seconds (functioning accelerator pump), but would then die out because of the clogged idle circuit.

Last edited by Revi; 03-04-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:29 AM
daustin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by afnoce
About a week ago, car was driving fine...then out of the blue the engine just dies on me. I cranked the engine a couple more times but couldn't get it to start. Left it alone for about 10-15 minutes and this time it started and was able to get the car back to my garage. I initially suspected maybe vapor lock. But the story continues.

So yesterday I cranked the engine and it started and it was idling for about 5-minutes then died. I tried starting the engine again, it cranks, but would not start. I figure it has to be either fuel not getting to the carb, spark not getting to the engine, or air/fuel mix (vacuum leak?).

What I've tried thus far:

1) Took off the air cleaner and made sure that fuel is squirting into the carb.

2) Took the hose running from the fuel pump to the fuel filter off, put the hose in an empty bottle and cranked the engine to check that the pump is sending fuel to the carb.

3) Installed a new fuel filter

4) Installed a new ignition coil (I know, prob not necessary and should have first checked for strong sparks)

After doing this, I cranked the engine, it started for about a second and a half then dies. Nothing has changed since.

What I haven't yet tried:

1) Replacing the spark plugs and cables
2) Replacing the distributor cap and rotor

What else am I missing? Am I going in the right direction?

If it's a air/fuel mix thing, is it a problem with the carburetor or a vacuum leak...and how do I diagnose?

I'm really frustrated and don't want to have to tow my car to a shop for something that could be a relatively easy fix. Would greatly appreciate your help and advise.

Regards,

Fred

I'd replace the condenser, leave the points alone for the moment as it was running ok so the gap should be fine. i've seen this and a couple other odd things when they go bad.

Don
Old 03-04-2016, 03:52 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Pigtail between the coil and distributor. When it starts, vacuum advance starts working and moves the breaker plate. Pigtail is broken and pulls apart causing loss of spark.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:30 PM
colesweat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beltfedbob
When you start you have 12v hot start wire from the starter solenoid. Once the starter disengages a reduced voltage then supplies power to the coil through a resistor wire. Do you have two wires to the hot side of the coil? If so check for voltage with the key on at that terminal disconnected from the coil. If no voltage you have either a bad ign switch or the resistor wire has burned out.

I'm liking this! If it was the carb he should be able to catch it from stopping by working the throttle.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Beltfedbob
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by colesweat
I'm liking this! If it was the carb he should be able to catch it from stopping by working the throttle.
Nice boat colesweat!

Old 03-12-2016, 10:02 AM
afnoce
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Here's what I've done so far:

Replaced the spark plugs and wires
Replaced the distributor cap and rotor
Replaced the coil

Now the engine cranks, starts and idles for about 3 to 5 minutes before it stalls out and dies. At this stage, all that I can think of is that either I have some kind of vacuum leak or there's a problem with the carburetor.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:59 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by daustin
I'd replace the condenser, leave the points alone for the moment as it was running ok so the gap should be fine. i've seen this and a couple other odd things when they go bad.

Don

I had this happen with a bad condenser. Runs great for a few mins. until it gets a bit of heat in it then dies.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 03-12-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:59 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by afnoce
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Here's what I've done so far:

Replaced the spark plugs and wires
Replaced the distributor cap and rotor
Replaced the coil

Now the engine cranks, starts and idles for about 3 to 5 minutes before it stalls out and dies. At this stage, all that I can think of is that either I have some kind of vacuum leak or there's a problem with the carburetor.

From what you're describing it sounds like it's just running out of fuel and that could be a plugged fuel filter "sock" in the fuel tank or a plugged pleated paper filter in the inlet of the carburetor. As that little filter in the carburetor plugs so easily I'd start by replacing that and see if that solves your problem. Every auto parts store will stock them and they cost less than $5.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:31 PM
afnoce
Advanced

Woo Hoo! Success finally...my 69 is back up and running...took her for a spin and she's running like clockwork.

I humongous THANK YOU to you all for your help!

RightandDrive and CanadaGrant nailed it right on the head. Pesky condenser went bad. I ended up changing points as well.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:10 PM
Yogi1
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

What was it?
Old 07-20-2022, 07:12 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

OP says it was his condenser...6 years ago!
try not to respond to old threads. just research them and leave them in the past...
The following users liked this post:
Yogi1 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 07:14 AM
Yogi1
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 69 350 Engine Cranks, Starts and immediately dies

Quick Reply: 69 350 Engine Cranks, Starts and immediately dies