C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Strg Column Electrical Connections

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default C3 Strg Column Electrical Connections

I received this inquiry from Steve concerning the installation of a Corvette T&T steering column into a 1969 Vette that originally had a standard (non-adjustable) steering column. Here is his description of the problem.

I have a 1969 corvette with non-tilt steering column. I also have a
tilt column from a 1974 corvette. I would like to install the tilt
column in the 1969. However, after taking out the non-tilt, it appears
that the wiring harnesses are different. Do I need to take the internal
pieces out of the 1969 column and use them in the tilt 74 or what?
Thanks,
Steve
--
Old 03-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
I received this inquiry from Steve concerning the installation of a Corvette T&T steering column into a 1969 Vette that originally had a standard (non-adjustable) steering column. Here is his description of the problem.

I have a 1969 corvette with non-tilt steering column. I also have a
tilt column from a 1974 corvette. I would like to install the tilt
column in the 1969. However, after taking out the non-tilt, it appears
that the wiring harnesses are different. Do I need to take the internal
pieces out of the 1969 column and use them in the tilt 74 or what?
Thanks,
Steve
--
Steve,
There is only one type of wiring harness that connects to any production steering column in a C3 Vette. Here is the trick. The two types of steering columns (standard and T&T) have ignition switches that are also unique. The switches operate in opposite directions. So you will need to twist the vehicle wiring harness (with its two connectors) 180 degrees in order to make them connect from the one type steering column switch to the other.

Now the other electrical connection is from the turn signal switch in the column to another vehicle wiring harness. You will note that the 1969 and later C3 harness connectors are narrow, long and somewhat shaped like a harmonica. Now, even though the connectors from the two different types of steering columns look the same, sometimes you will find that the new connector on the new column will not easily snap into your old vehicle wiring harness. You can scrape, file, and rework the connectors until they finally snap together. Or the easier way would be to disengage the individual wires from the old harmonica connector. Disengage the individual wires from the harmonica connector from your "new" T&T column. Now swap the old harmonica connector onto the new column wiring. Make sure that you reinsert the correct wires in the correct order.

If you require further instructions as to removing and reinstalling wires in the harmonica connectors just ask the further question.
Jim

Quick Reply: C3 Strg Column Electrical Connections