C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prime Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 AM
clatgeo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Prime Oil Pump

I just replaced the rear main seal with a new oil pump screen and oil pan on my 1970 LT-1.

Should I prime the oil pump by removing the distributor or remove the spark plugs and spin the engine until I get oil pressure?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If the engine was running recently, I would just spin the engine with the coil wire off and maybe pull a few spark plugs for free spinning. You should have pressure within 10 seconds. If the engine has been sitting for weeks, pull the dizzy and prime it.

Last edited by hugie82; 03-16-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

If you're going to spin the motor, you might as well just start her up. That's not how I would do it though. The priming tool is cheap, and it's not difficult to do. It's good insurance against running too long without pressure.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by clatgeo
I just replaced the rear main seal with a new oil pump screen and oil pan on my 1970 LT-1.

Should I prime the oil pump by removing the distributor or remove the spark plugs and spin the engine until I get oil pressure?

The pump got primed when you filled the pan with oil. Just start it.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I always prefer pulling the distributor and priming the engine without turning it over after doing anything with the oil system. Like mentioned, good insurance and easy to do.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:26 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Agree. The oil pump itself does not need to be primed.

What you are doing when you 'prime' the engine is circulate oil throughout the engine, through all the gallies, to the bearings, through the pushrods, to the top end, and removing the huge air bubbles that could be there.

Air bubbles could only be there (or the bearings could be dry as a bone) if the engine was sitting for a VERY long time or it was recently assembled.

As far as spinning versus starting, I'm mixed.

If my engine has set for more than a month, I generally spin the engine without touching the gas for the 5 seconds it takes to get oil pressure. Yes, I'm putting wear on the starter and such, but my rationale is that this is better than having all the huge explosions happen in the engine that could potentially drive a bearing into a metal-to-metal condition because it is even a little drier than it should be. Probably overkill, but that's how I roll. Overkill.

If I'm driving my car normally...every week or two...I don't do anything special. Pump until she lights off.

The only time I'd consider priming the oil system is if the oil pan has been off for a really long time and everything has dripped out of every galley (not an oil pan project...I mean OFF for, like, weeks) or the engine hadn't started for more than 6 months.

Last edited by keithinspace; 03-16-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
Agree. The oil pump itself does not need to be primed.

What you are doing when you 'prime' the engine is circulate oil throughout the engine, through all the gallies, to the bearings, through the pushrods, to the top end, and removing the huge air bubbles that could be there.

Air bubbles could only be there (or the bearings could be dry as a bone) if the engine was sitting for a VERY long time or it was recently assembled.

As far as spinning versus starting, I'm mixed.

If my engine has set for more than a month, I generally spin the engine without touching the gas for the 5 seconds it takes to get oil pressure. Yes, I'm putting wear on the starter and such, but my rationale is that this is better than having all the huge explosions happen in the engine that could potentially drive a bearing into a metal-to-metal condition because it is even a little drier than it should be. Probably overkill, but that's how I roll. Overkill.

If I'm driving my car normally...every week or two...I don't do anything special. Pump until she lights off.

The only time I'd consider priming the oil system is if the oil pan has been off for a really long time and everything has dripped out of every galley (not an oil pan project...I mean OFF for, like, weeks) or the engine hadn't started for more than 6 months.

I would only prime the engine if it has sat for a VERY long time or recently assembled. On my 78, I do the exact same thing when I start it....spin the engine without setting the choke until I have oil pressure on the gauge.Once I have good pressure, I let the engine fire.

I also use this same technique on my 10 C6Z06 which sits most of the time. All modern cars with FI have a clear flood condition by putting the gas to the floor before you hit the start button. The engine will just spin without firing...works like a charm to prime the 427 LS7!! Just release the gas when you want the engine to fire and presto, it lights. If the Z06 has been sitting for more than 2 weeks, I always spin the engine without firing to get good oil pressure.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 03-16-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:06 AM
clatgeo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I find a oil pump primer tool for a LT-1? I called Summit and they do not have primer tool for a LT-1
Old 03-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Where can I find a oil pump primer tool for a LT-1? I called Summit and they do not have primer tool for a LT-1
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66896/

It is not LT-1 specific....any small block primer will work.
Make sure you purchase this type that simulates a distributor...with the cam galley plug.....
The shaft by itself type is worthless as it does not get the oil upstairs.

Jebby
Old 03-17-2016, 10:45 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Default LT-1 versus LT1

You confused them by saying LT-1 they think you are talking about a second generation small block, you have first generation,
Old 03-17-2016, 01:08 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

You're wasting your money. Your oil pump doesn't need to be primed.
The following users liked this post:
cv67 (03-18-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 02:42 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

on AMC engines, (never done this to chevys i build, but have no reason why i do not) we always fill the pump with Vaseline... This starts pulling oil almost instantly... learned this trick from 2 different engine builders..
Old 03-17-2016, 02:53 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pauldana
on AMC engines, (never done this to chevys i build, but have no reason why i do not) we always fill the pump with Vaseline... This starts pulling oil almost instantly... learned this trick from 2 different engine builders..
The oil pump in a chevy is submerged in oil. It fills up as the oil is added to the engine.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:58 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
The oil pump in a chevy is submerged in oil. It fills up as the oil is added to the engine.

AHHHH... thus the reason for the AMC difference... never really thought about it,,,, just always did this to the AMC's and never the chevys... guess thats why:-) thx!
Old 03-17-2016, 04:03 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

You're wasting your money. Your oil pump doesn't need to be primed.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:01 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You really don't have to but it's not a bad idea to run the pump to ensure the pump is still working and it will make oil pressure before you start it and find there isn't any pressure. Having it not work is unlikely, but not impossible.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:24 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
You really don't have to but it's not a bad idea to run the pump to ensure the pump is still working and it will make oil pressure before you start it and find there isn't any pressure. Having it not work is unlikely, but not impossible.
You can do the same thing by cranking it with the starter, and you don't need to buy the tool to do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Prime Oil Pump

Old 03-18-2016, 11:51 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Priming Chevrolet Oil Pumps

As oil will remain on the bearings for at least 1000 years and the bearings only require a single drop to lubricate them for about 5 minutes of running there is no sense in priming a Chevrolet V8 as long as the anti-drainback oil filter is full. Have you ever seen You Tube videos of guys draining all of the oil out then starting the engine to see how long it'll run before it seizes? The engine will often run 5 minutes or more. Are we learning anything yet?

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 03-18-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Buicks are the same way dry pump in a timing cover....

Jebby
Old 03-18-2016, 04:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I would just start it up. But, if the weather is cold enough that the choke could be on the 'fast idle' step, I would manually reset the choke down to the 1st or 2nd notch. Crank it for 10 seconds, if it doesn't light off quickly; that will force oil throughout the engine. Then, you can quick-pump the gas pedal to reset the choke to higher idle and start 'er up.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-18-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Prime Oil Pump