C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new wiring in my '78

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

Default new wiring in my '78

My '78 is all cleaned out and I am starting to put it all back together with as much new stuff as I can. Started looking at wiring harnesses and had to call EMS for oxygen after I saw some of the prices. The car won't be stock, putting an L98 and a 200R4 in it. Already have engine harness stuff sort of worked out but that leaves me with the rest of the car. Opinions please about buying stock harnesses and modding them as needed ( also putting power locks/mirrors in both doors, electric headlight motors, in tank elec fuel pump). I am thinking of harnesses for an '82 which will cover most of the stuff I am adding or buying a custom harness ( marked & coded like GM) with new fuse block style and then still adapting it to what I need. I'm handy enough with the wiring and time isn't an issue, just want a realistic idea and any pros or cons from those who have done this, or decided not to. Thanks

Last edited by kanvasman; 04-11-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: icon didn't come out
Old 04-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

What worked for me-not for the faint of heart...

I used parts of stock harness and added on what I call subpanels- a lot of European high end cars use this type of architecture.

I used some combo/modular relay/fuse holders. Totally configurable!!!

Now the cost- I buy the relay holders from the UK- w/ shipping less than $10 each- add in a GOOD Bosch relay and some LED fuses that light when they blow AND are accessible to easily replace!!! So maybe $20 per module total!!

In the rear compartment - I had a "sub-panel" for the fuel pump- heated seats - electric parking brake and reverse light set-up

At the front of the car- I when w/ another sub-panel- to control the headlights/headlight motors/horn

If you are really adventurous- I actually did away w/ the fuseblock and made my own-

I also used the to switch/power all the stuff I added to the car- ECU/Injectors/coil packs/vintage air/power windows /power locks etc...

This is mounted on the pass side-

DSCN5030 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5177 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Up front - for the headlights / electric motors/ horns - Oh the black spades between the fuses- they are actually Diodes- from a Ford - to control the headlight motors

DSCN5113 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Back compartment- for the fuel pump/ reverse light & motor/electric parking brake/heated seats

DSCN5035 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Last edited by Richard454; 04-11-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:30 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

I might end up with a variation of what you did. I had been thinking of the "sub-panels" that I would add to a universal wiring harness. I get nervous when I see GM having a separate harness for the doors/lock/windows and mirrors,, for example. So I might put a subpanel at each door ( over the body mounts does seem like a good place). ALso plan on putting my ecu in a compartment behind the seats, another place for a subpanel for the back of the car. ANd I really like the relay holders. Could you let me know your source? Then I'll go through your entire thread and practice my soldering. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Just get a Weller gun and a bunch of tips- no delicate soldering here!!!

I have a Fry's Electronics locally - and that's where I get my heat shrink.

The relay/fuse block from these guys-

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

They have a LOT of neat stuff- thanks to the exchange rate we (USA) get a really good deal!!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Richard, thanks, already have a Weller gun and I am fully qualified for no delicate soldering! And thanks for the link to the fuse block info.

Get notified of new replies

To new wiring in my '78

Quick Reply: new wiring in my '78