C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want your opinion on my 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:45 AM
molsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To op: curious as to what intake you are going to run? A suggestion is to call Howard's cams, comp, and even clay smith, and get their opinion on what they would recommend. I'm running a 383 built 16 years ago with first gen afr 210 heads. I was drag racing for a while, now just street. I went from a strip dominator intake and solid roller cam to air gap rpm and Howard's hyd cam.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:00 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

450HP Goal Flywheel What is needed.

AFR195
10 to 1 compression
Airgap Intake
850HO Carb
HEI ignition
Hyd Roller
530/530 229/229 on a 108
1.6 ratio would be best
1 5/8 Header if mostly street, 1 3/4" if you taking to the track sometimes.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

OP - Lots of debate on here - My experience with Chris is that he is knowledgeable, and will give you options that are worth consideration. His customer service is also very good IMO.

Others may disagree, and they have their own experiences and perspectives that drive their opinions. Objectively, I have learned different things from reading posts from all of them. I can only say Chris is worth talking to - then make up your own mind.

I like Straub's suggestion of a single pattern cam with the AFR 195s. I wish I had done that with my first 383. It ran well with a split duration, but have since learned that a small split, or even no split, is probably better for those particular heads.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Legacy Stables
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by molsen
To op: curious as to what intake you are going to run? A suggestion is to call Howard's cams, comp, and even clay smith, and get their opinion on what they would recommend. I'm running a 383 built 16 years ago with first gen afr 210 heads. I was drag racing for a while, now just street. I went from a strip dominator intake and solid roller cam to air gap rpm and Howard's hyd cam.
the massflo efi came with a intake that I should use. it is a single plane that looks similar to a edelbrock victor jr. the injectors are in the runners so it should be fine as a single plane.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
It doesn't say what you did for him. If you keep on posting unverifiable BS then I will post what was said about you from one of the boat forums administrator, oh yeah I kept that one.

I am sure it will open many eyes. So from now on just keep Trolling and keep to yourself as I see there is no way to stop you from PM'ing members.
MH,
Just so that you understand I don't BS when it comes to work...Here is David Vizards words on ST.

Re: DSS 427 SB Ford build
Unread postby David Vizard » Sun May 08, 2016 6:13 am

Got to visit at Chris Straub’s shop on Friday (22nd April) and was rather surprised at the extent of his operation. It seemed to me to be a very much ‘in the background deal. I was surprise to see how many products he made for big name companies. The best part of the visit though was that we got to talk cams and valve trains.
Although we had settled on event timing a few weeks back Chris held off with the actual profiles to be used as some new Glen Steyers profiles were just being finished off. Here’s the intake/exhaust profiles that will be used in the 427.
Lobe lifts 0.375/0.340
Duration at 0.004:- 302/309
Duration at 0.006:- 297/304
Duration at 0.050:- 240/248
Duration at 0.200:- 160/158
LCA 105
Intake Centerline:- To be set up on dyno with Jesel adjustable belt drive.
So that those of us who are more used to seeing the seat duration quoted at 0.006 I have included both the 0.004 that Glen Steyers uses and the 0.006 used by most of the industry.
These profiles were decided on both for output and street reliability. Part of the requirements of a reliable hydraulic roller valve train is to use lifters that promote reliability. As far as reliable rollers for a performance setup Chris’s experience mirror’s mine. Unless you know what you are buying there is a very good chance you may end up with a set of lifters that just won’t take the loads seen in a 7000 rpm motor lifting the valves up to near 0.700. Chris’s choice here was to use the Morel lifters and that, from my own experience, was a choice I had no trouble going with.
DV
David Vizard
Pro
Pro

Last edited by StraubTech; 05-09-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: I want your opinion on my 383 build