C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 belts/pulleys identification and squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:47 AM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1969 belts/pulleys identification and squeak

1969 Corvette 427 L71 convert, yes power steering, no ac, no air pump in place.
I have searched prior threads and even found the thread as recent as yesterday on squeaky belts etc but here goes my problem. I want to change my belts to remove the squeak and determine if I have the correct pulleys in place. Few dumb questions first.

Question 1. Did all 1969 cars come with the air pump? The manual seems to show all cars with it? (thought it was just California cars) I would like to know how many belts my car should have. I have power steering and no air pump so that means I should have 3 belts (I think)??? I only have 2, (one around (crank/water pump/ps) and the other around (PS/Alternator)

My water pump pulley is a 2 groove and doesn't appear to be very deep as the belt rides higher than in the other two pulleys. Is a deeper 2 groove pulley easily available

Question 2. Why would I need a belt between the (water pump/crank) when I already have a belt between the (water pump/crank/PS)

Question 3. After reading the 1969 assemble manual (page 198 and page 425) I think only Air Cond cars require the idler pulley (not sure what this does) but regardless, when I changed the alternator belt, you can tension the belt by pivoting the alternator, but how the heck to I install the other 2 belts without a tensioner pivot system like the alternator. Do I just remove the bolts from my crank pulley and slide the belt on and hope for the best?

Here is a pic of my system but something is not right? The 2 belts I have now are 3/8" wide.
PS, I have already replaced the missing crank bolt and will chase down the missing water pump bolt.

Thanks for any help!
Pete
Old 05-03-2016, 11:05 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverL71

Question 2. Why would I need a belt between the (water pump/crank) when I already have a belt between the (water pump/crank/PS)

Question 3. After reading the 1969 assemble manual (page 198 and page 425) I think only Air Cond cars require the idler pulley (not sure what this does) but regardless, when I changed the alternator belt, you can tension the belt by pivoting the alternator, but how the heck to I install the other 2 belts without a tensioner pivot system like the alternator. Do I just remove the bolts from my crank pulley and slide the belt on and hope for the best?

Here is a pic of my system but something is not right? The 2 belts I have now are 3/8" wide.
PS, I have already replaced the missing crank bolt and will chase down the missing water pump bolt.

Thanks for any help!
Pete
I'll address number 2 and 3.

2. You should have the belt from the crank to water pump. Good insurance if the P/S belt breaks. Since you don't have AC, you don't have the idler pulley.

3. The power steering pump also pivots to tighten the belt. Since my '71 BB has AC, it has the idler pulley. I know it's possible to install the crank to wp belt without using a idler pulley because I did it years ago. You have to position the belt onto the crank pulley first, then put it on the wp pulley off the wp, then position it onto the wp studs.

What are your 2 belt sizes you are currently using?

You should end up looking like this:

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 05-03-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Did all 1969 cars come with the air pump? The manual seems to show all cars with it?...
I think so. On the AIM page showing the A.I.R. pump installation, does the title block show 19000? 19000 in the title block means everything on that AIM page was installed on all cars.

Flip over a few more AIM pages and you'll find a belt diagram covering all the engines.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:39 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I can tell you the Quanta belts I'm using don't look like that. They are thinner and don't have those groves/teeth.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:55 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Originally Posted by ddawson
I can tell you the Quanta belts I'm using don't look like that. They are thinner and don't have those groves/teeth.
Thanks guys,

Does everyone agree that ALL 1969 corvettes had the air pump originally. This is news to me. I thought exhaust manifolds came with and without holes which meant some had pump and some did not?

Thanks for the picture of your set up green. And especially the info re putting the belts back on. I didn't know the PS could swing to tighten/loosen that belt. It seems that I must have an incorrect water pump pulley but I will take off water pump pulley and replace that belt now knowing how to get it back on the car.

Pete
Old 05-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

1969 Corvette 427 L71 convert, yes power steering, no ac, no air pump in place.
I have searched prior threads and even found the thread as recent as yesterday on squeaky belts etc but here goes my problem. I want to change my belts to remove the squeak and determine if I have the correct pulleys in place. Few dumb questions first.

Question 1. Did all 1969 cars come with the air pump? The manual seems to show all cars with it? (thought it was just California cars) I would like to know how many belts my car should have. I have power steering and no air pump so that means I should have 3 belts (I think)??? I only have 2, (one around (crank/water pump/ps) and the other around (PS/Alternator)

My water pump pulley is a 2 groove and doesn't appear to be very deep as the belt rides higher than in the other two pulleys. Is a deeper 2 groove pulley easily available

Thanks for any help!
Pete
I had a similar problem with my SB when I got it. One belt was connected to crank, water pump and power steering, the other was connected from the water pump to the alternator. The first belt was carrying too much load as it had to handle all of the load at the crank. I determined I could change belt two using a longer one to connect crank, water pump and alternator giving me two drive belts on the crank and water pump, this cured the squeak. This second belt is routed between the power steering pump pulley and the power steering body, it then lined up well with the crank and water pump. My pulley set up was for ac but this is long gone except for the pulleys. A configuration like this might work for you?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:19 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Thanks guys,

Does everyone agree that ALL 1969 corvettes had the air pump originally. This is news to me. I thought exhaust manifolds came with and without holes which meant some had pump and some did not?

Thanks for the picture of your set up green. And especially the info re putting the belts back on. I didn't know the PS could swing to tighten/loosen that belt. It seems that I must have an incorrect water pump pulley but I will take off water pump pulley and replace that belt now knowing how to get it back on the car.

Pete
Pete, while you're into fixing your belts, check the power steering bracket to make sure the pivot ear isn't broken. It's the one on the rear that has a stud. The front pivot is a solid hole, but the rear isn't and it can easily break. Over the years, I've dealt with broken studs and brackets.

Also, could you post the numbers off of your PS and Alt belts.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:26 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Thanks guys,

Pete
All 69's came with the A.I.R. pump. It runs off the front groove (out of 3) on the water pump pulley. Second groove is for the PS pump and the inner is the crank/water pump belt as depicted in 71 Green 454's post. Below is my 69 L36 smog pump set up. The pump itself is cheap but the diverter valve on the back of the pump is like gold. To put the rear WP belt on you loosen the WP pulley and tilt it forward to install the belt. The PS pump is adjustable from underneath the car behind the pump. No idea who thought that one up.....

Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
All 69's came with the A.I.R. pump. It runs off the front groove (out of 3) on the water pump pulley. Second groove is for the PS pump and the inner is the crank/water pump belt as depicted in 71 Green 454's post. Below is my 69 L36 smog pump set up. The pump itself is cheap but the diverter valve on the back of the pump is like gold. To put the rear WP belt on you loosen the WP pulley and tilt it forward to install the belt. The PS pump is adjustable from underneath the car behind the pump. No idea who thought that one up.....

Thanks so much, I guess I will now have to put an air pump on my list of things to do. It never ends but thanks for the help guys. New belts installed and no more squeaking! Its music to my ears. I am getting dangerously close to taking this beast out for a test run.

Thanks again.
Pete

These two belts perfect fit. Will replace the alt belt tomorrow which was just slightly too long.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 belts/pulleys identification and squeak

Quick Reply: 1969 belts/pulleys identification and squeak