C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got a chance to dyno the new engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:30 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm not even sure where this thread was supposed to go...but it's turned into a train wreck.

I don't kiss anyone's butt around here...but I can tell you that I do know Chris and Scott Foxwell very well and can vouch for them being straight shooters. Is Chris a salesman too? Sure he is...he believes in what he does and is very passionate about it. He's been in the industry for years and actually provides parts to many of the big name cam companies (as well as many others). I've been able to spend time with quite a few of the actual designers, manufacturers and hard core engine builders as a result of my relationship with Chris. He's earned their respect and they have no reason to support anyone they don't believe in.

Chris has his methods for selecting cams...and if you dig WAY back into his early postings on camshaft theory, he gave a pretty good rundown of his methods (with the math!) when he was first getting started. His background came from working with the late Harry Reed of Reed Cams....who was definitely one of the "thinkers" in the cam and engine world.

Yes, Chris selects lobes from the enormous amount available...and as he says...there is a LOT more to the lobe than just a few data points. He tries to pick the one that best matches what the heads are capable of and what HP/RPM range you're looking for...along with the driveability you're looking for (certain gears, trans, weight, converter, induction etc are all constraints people place on someone selecting a cam). Experience is worth a lot because he can tell you pretty much exactly what that lobe series will do in your motor given all the parameters. I've worked with a lot of cam folks over the years...and they ALL pick lobes from whatever they have available. They don't go cut a new profile just for you 99.999% of the time. The problem is if you're dealing with the MFG directly..they only have their lobes to pick from...which might not be a problem at all. They know what their lobes will do too. Dealing with someone like Chris allows him to look across lobes from everyone and pick whatever he wants. Your choices are much bigger. I've had Billy Godbold from Comp spend an hour and a half on the phone with me to work out a cam on a weird engine combo and even he admitted the compromise. Guess what? It did exactly what he said it would. I've got a cam in my car right now from Chase Knight at Crane. Guess what? It did exactly what he said it should do...and he's nailed it a couple of times before that on other projects. The cam I ran forever in my 540/555 was an Engle cam I worked out with the owner during another long cam theory discussion. Guess what....we used 3 versions in that motor as the combination evolved and each time it did exactly what he thought it would. In fact he tried to talk me out of one of them but I insisted. Guess what? He was right...and it got tweaked back to where it needed to be and ran the best times ever.

Do Chris and I always agree on cam choices? No..and you should hear some of our discussions....but it actually comes down to different thoughts on engine combinations and application that drive a different cam design for how I prefer to build my engines compared to someone else's plan. Chris is pretty good about listening to what YOU want to do with your engine and designs around that goal. Not always about the biggest HP number...but always about whatever parameters you insist on.

Anyway...not taking away from any of the posters in this thread....there's a lot of experience running in here....just figured I'd throw in my .02 worth also.

JIM
Old 05-09-2016, 02:57 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Closed for review of attacks and confflict
Old 05-09-2016, 03:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
People wonder why many of the more knowledgeable members of this board refuse to post hear anymore. I see it all the time where people have asked about so and so or whu so and so won't poist here anymore....

Prime example going on right here folks.

We have a CF member who is well known in the Performance/Racing Industry and here is one of his customers sharing real honest to god results. Here he is offering insight and knowledge on the engine combination for everyone here to see.

Then we have at least (2) other CF members assailing him. Bothe of which as far as I have seen, have never shared anything worth a crap..... neither have ever offered a scrap of knowledge about engines or anything automotive related that they couldn't copy text for text out of some Hot Rod magazine article without actually understanding any of it.

It's a sad fricken day when people stand by and let valuable real world results and knowledge be run down right out the door by a couple of internet wanna be know it all's, who have never shown even so much as a single dyno sheet or time slip on anything they have ever built... let alone anything similar to this build.

Will
Still, rather than report the posts in this thread, you make this post that does not address anything. I suggest in the future if there are members "assailing" someone, you hit the Report Post Button and it can be addressed properly and timely. Administrators do not see every post.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:18 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

If you have had posts in this thread removed or edited, or you have received a Forum Warning, or you have been suspended, it is because you participated in the conflict and personal attacks that were all over this thread.

As I stated above, if you see members personally attacking others, please report the posts and let a Mod or Administrator address it, rather than participate in the conflict.

Also, if you are under the impression that any member is being promoted or is promoting himself as a Non Supporting Vendor in conflict with forum rules on commercial posts, please report those instances either by a PM to a section Mod or by hitting the Report Post button and let us examine it. Believing someone is posting improperly does not get you free reign to personally attack people on the forum or continue ongoing online conflicts.

Please try to stay on topic in this thread from this point forward.

Quick Reply: Finally got a chance to dyno the new engine