C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

horn and speed o cable. 71 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default horn and speed o cable. 71 coupe

happy m-day to the moms. finally pulled the project out and drove to the bmv and got her titled. it' been about 5 years since it came into the garage and still about 2.5 million little things to fix. mom always said when the castle is done,the king is dead. i thank god that nothing fell off during the trip. i was a nervous wreck. anyway i noticed when i made a turn the horn would give a quick honk,which i thought i fixed before the trip. put new stuff in and seemed to work in the garage. i noticed the part in the pic has a hole in the plate which is a little larger than the other two. i have been around long enough to know that this means something. never noticed it before. i'm going into the horn area to look things over again to see if this means something and try to correct it. also the speed o did not work. checked he bullet in the trans and the gear and and cable turned good. i could feel the cable turn in the cover when i turned the cable by hand. what looked different was the cable came out the trans and up to the tunnel and screwed into another cable like an extension of sort . have not checked the connection in the speed o yet. as always thank you guys.

Last edited by cdw; 01-18-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c,
I believe for 71 cars the speedometer cable used with automatic transmissions was 2 piece while the 4 speed cable was one piece.
Is your car equipped with automatic?
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-08-2016, 11:49 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default speed o

yes, it is an automatic. i put the 400 on the shelf and installed my turbo 350 from my ex race car. the same speed o gears.
Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi c,
I believe for 71 cars the speedometer cable used with automatic transmissions was 2 piece while the 4 speed cable was one piece.
Is your car equipped with automatic?
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-08-2016, 11:57 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default horn

i have a new clue. the spring under the pin seems to get hung up on it's seat. this is the second spring that i had to remove with a pin and needle nose pliers. i thought the first one was a fluke but i now now know it was not. it looks like the spring gets hung up on the seat in the column. it looks like the spring should have a seat on it so it would not slip off the peg it sets on. the horn stuck more today when i pulled it out of the garage so i removed the assembly and saw that the replacement spring was hung up again. ant ideas.. thanks. pulled the project out and drove to the bmv and got her titled. it' been about 5 years since it came into the garage and still about 2.5 million little things to fix. mom always said when the castle is done,the king is dead. i thank god that nothing fell off during the trip. i was a nervous wreck. anyway i noticed when i made a turn the horn would give a quick honk,which i thought i fixed before the trip. put new stuff in and seemed to work in the garage. i noticed the part in the pic has a hole in the plate which is a little larger than the other two. i have been around long enough to know that this means something. never noticed it before. i'm going into the horn area to look things over again to see if this means something and try to correct it. also the speed o did not work. checked he bullet in the trans and the gear and and cable turned good. i could feel the cable turn in the cover when i turned the cable by hand. what looked different was the cable came out the trans and up to the tunnel and screwed into another cable like an extension of sort . have not checked the connection in the speed o yet. as always thank you guys.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-08-2016, 07:30 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default horn

i think i might have installed the spring and post set up the wrong way. could be why i am having the stuck spring problem. i dropped the spring in first then the plastic retainer then the post with the round flat end sticking up to make contact with the metal L shaped piece on the ring. i think that is why the spring is getting stuck at the bottom.will redo things monday any thoughts?
Originally Posted by cdw
happy m-day to the moms. finally pulled the project out and drove to the bmv and got her titled. it' been about 5 years since it came into the garage and still about 2.5 million little things to fix. mom always said when the castle is done,the king is dead. i thank god that nothing fell off during the trip. i was a nervous wreck. anyway i noticed when i made a turn the horn would give a quick honk,which i thought i fixed before the trip. put new stuff in and seemed to work in the garage. i noticed the part in the pic has a hole in the plate which is a little larger than the other two. i have been around long enough to know that this means something. never noticed it before. i'm going into the horn area to look things over again to see if this means something and try to correct it. also the speed o did not work. checked he bullet in the trans and the gear and and cable turned good. i could feel the cable turn in the cover when i turned the cable by hand. what looked different was the cable came out the trans and up to the tunnel and screwed into another cable like an extension of sort . have not checked the connection in the speed o yet. as always thank you guys.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

You're getting there! The insulator goes in first, the spring inside of that with the flange out, and the plate with the L-shaped piece last.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:07 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default horn parts

thanks for the reply. just came from the garage after the horn fix.here is what i did. i was having trouble with the spring hanging up in the hole. had to pull two of them out with pliers which made them toast. i put a very small washer on the bottom of the spring which would give a better seat to rest on (i think). i put the spring in first, then the post with the round head in and the shaft out then the plastic lock and twisted it into it's grove to lock everything in. then put the rest of the assembly on with the screws and the button. hooked the battery up and everything works good.i'll take it out for a ride tuesday and know for sure but seemed to work good. i'll keep you posted and if you see something i did wrong please let me know. thanks, Denny
Originally Posted by 62corvette
You're getting there! The insulator goes in first, the spring inside of that with the flange out, and the plate with the L-shaped piece last.

Get notified of new replies

To horn and speed o cable. 71 coupe

Quick Reply: horn and speed o cable. 71 coupe