C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric exhaust cutout options & questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 PM
superdave269
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default electric exhaust cutout options & questions

I have always liked the idea of having a car with cut outs on it. Honestly just for the noise I would be able to make when wanted, not really trying to pick up a couple of extra horse power. I like the idea of the electric cut outs over the bolted style since I'm sure they would rust up the bolts would snap when I finally got around to trying to open them up. I looked on Ebay and saw some very inexpensive units but don't know if the are junk or possibly made in China in the same plant as the high priced units but with no name brands on them. Anyone know? Also I was wondering since my car has a "H" pipe in between the exhaust pipes could I possibly use one cut out in the "H" pipe instead of two? Would doing that hurt anything? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated since I am still in the planning/idea stage. Thanks
Old 05-12-2016, 04:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

With electric cutouts you get what you pay for
Dont think putting one in the H will get you the sound youre looking for (lots of exhast will be passing my it not through it)
Get it right behind the header (or close as you can)on ea side youll be happier when you flip the switch

After driving mine uncorked considering a set of QTPs and going to a very quiet muffler rather than whats on there as to not attract the wrong attention.

Last edited by cv67; 05-12-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:27 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

If you are going electric spend the money on better ones. Even the good ones motors go out it seems all the time. DHM seemed to be having alot of issues.

Read the reviews on different company on how the handle motor replacement.

For sound the H pipe will work just not sure how it will sound with both pulses running though it.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
With electric cutouts you get what you pay for
Dont think putting one in the H will get you the sound youre looking for (lots of exhast will be passing my it not through it)
Get it right behind the header (or close as you can)on ea side youll be happier when you flip the switch

After driving mine uncorked considering a set of QTPs and going to a very quiet muffler rather than whats on there as to not attract the wrong attention.

I went w/ a pair QTPs -

Has a toggle switch so you can open in increments.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 PM
8vette8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used QTP electric cutouts on three cars now, they work well and I like them. I think if you put a cutout at a right angle on any exhaust pipe, you'll get some pure noise out of it, but much of the exhaust will go right on by. As shown in these photos, I put my cutouts in the middle of the right angle bend just in front of the mufflers. With the cutouts opened, I think the exhaust will have an easier time going out right there, than making the bend and going through the muffler. I like the added noise, it's not an awful lot louder than stock, I think because the stock cats do some muffling. And when I want, I can close the cutouts and the car's sound level is stock/quiet. And maybe get a little more power - but it's mostly about the sound.
Attached Images    
Old 05-13-2016, 09:00 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 8vette8
I've used QTP electric cutouts on three cars now, they work well and I like them. I think if you put a cutout at a right angle on any exhaust pipe, you'll get some pure noise out of it, but much of the exhaust will go right on by. As shown in these photos, I put my cutouts in the middle of the right angle bend just in front of the mufflers. With the cutouts opened, I think the exhaust will have an easier time going out right there, than making the bend and going through the muffler. I like the added noise, it's not an awful lot louder than stock, I think because the stock cats do some muffling. And when I want, I can close the cutouts and the car's sound level is stock/quiet. And maybe get a little more power - but it's mostly about the sound.
I like it .good job.how much more work would it have been to take the dump pipe right back into the tail pipe that was coming out of the muffler?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 AM
8vette8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would have to put the dump pipe into both of the smaller tail pipes out of the muffler so it wouldn't restrict the flow and that would be an awful lot of work for what I thought would be nothing. I can cut the pipes, but I get my son to do the welding.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:17 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

If I ever get rid of my sidepipes, here is what I would do. Bonus for mne is that I can have the FAST EFI activate the cutouts at a certain RPM/throttle setting.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:37 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG75
If I ever get rid of my sidepipes, here is what I would do. Bonus for mne is that I can have the FAST EFI activate the cutouts at a certain RPM/throttle setting.

Very Nice!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Just FYI, this is illegal in some states.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG75

Cool idea. Eventually I plan on installing some of these and this may be a great solution especially for ground clearance.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:41 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

[QUOTE=8vette8;1592205681]Would have to put the dump pipe into both of the smaller tail pipes out of the muffler so it wouldn't restrict the flow and that would be an awful lot of work for what I thought would be nothing. I can cut the pipes, but I get my son to do the welding.[/QUOTE my thought was you take the dump pipe from the cut out to the chrome tip.then the middle pipe from the muffler you cut it into the dump pipe.yes it might be a little work .but I think you have a great idea.

Get notified of new replies

To electric exhaust cutout options & questions

Quick Reply: electric exhaust cutout options & questions