C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Side pipes baffle suggestions. Mine are too loud!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:27 AM
Evette76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker Side pipes baffle suggestions. Mine are too loud!

I have the hooker header side mount header side pipes on my 76 and I have been battling trying to get them quieter! Since I've had them I had the STS spiral baffles in them and decided I wanted to quiet the car down since you can't even here yourself think in it especially on the highway! So I did classic chambered baffles a year ago thinking it would be quieter talking to a guy who had them here on the net. Turns out they're just as loud. They sound way better then the spirals but just as loud. I am looking for something that will still flow decent and sound nice but not nearly as loud. Any thoughts? Or maybe ideas on quieting down what I have now? The engine is your typical built 355 aluminum heads and intake with a voodoo cam.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Subtle and quiet are not words I'd associate when I think about side pipes.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:45 AM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

if your trying to offload that loud std baffle for the low let me know, i thought sweet thunder inserts were quieter until you punched it(so i have heard). i am running open pipes but its only a stock low compression motor so its not too loud or at least thats what i tell myself.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Evette76
I have the hooker header side mount header side pipes on my 76 and I have been battling trying to get them quieter! Since I've had them I had the STS spiral baffles in them and decided I wanted to quiet the car down since you can't even here yourself think in it especially on the highway! So I did classic chambered baffles a year ago thinking it would be quieter talking to a guy who had them here on the net. Turns out they're just as loud. They sound way better then the spirals but just as loud. I am looking for something that will still flow decent and sound nice but not nearly as loud. Any thoughts? Or maybe ideas on quieting down what I have now? The engine is your typical built 355 aluminum heads and intake with a voodoo cam.
I have hooker side headers and side pipes on my 77. I am running the glass packs and to my ears.. they aren't loud.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

If you aren't upset about losing a little bit of power, I'd consider running Reverse Flows if you really want to quiet it down. I'm not sure how much of a hit you would take, but it would certainly quiet things down a bit.

If you wanted a little more edge, the next step would probably be the simple Hooker Glass Pack inserts. Not the "Max Flow" inserts...just the basic deal.

Beyond that, the ONLY other thought I'd have is to try the STS system again and stuff some rough steel wool in with the baffles. I haven't tried it before, but it would stand to reason that the addition would 'muffle' the sound a bit more. May be a bad thought, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

Keith
Old 05-20-2016, 11:46 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

the reverse flows are great if you want quiet but they are a real drain performance wise. I went from them to STS baffles and I couldnt believe the difference in seat of the pants power, very very noticeable. I also found the STS to be too loud for my taste and went to Sweet Thunder 2". They are not as bad, have a deeper bass sound, but at cruising speeds of 3,500 rpm they are still pretty loud.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:32 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I built and rode high performance Harley Davidsons for years. There were two ways to easily quiet the exhaust. One trick I used was to weld a steel washer onto a metal standoff, and then weld the standoff onto the metal baffle, about an inch from the trailing edge of the baffle, so the washer was standing upright and the center of the washer was centered in the baffle. My baffles were approximately 2" id and I used a 3/8" narrow flange washer (one that would just cover the flange of an allen bolt, not a fender washer). We did it for performance reasons, but by adding the washer to the baffle we found that it drastically reduced the decibel levels coming from the exhaust system. Give it a try. Another trick was to simply wrap the metal baffle with fiberglass insulation. This works great as well. Have fun.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 05-20-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Give them to me

Convertible may help with the wind noise interference

Last edited by Alwyn678; 05-20-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Evette76
Advanced

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I built and rode high performance Harley Davidsons for years. There were two ways to easily quiet the exhaust. One trick I used was to weld a steel washer onto a metal standoff, and then weld the standoff onto the metal baffle, about an inch from the trailing edge of the baffle, so the washer was standing upright and the center of the washer was centered in the baffle. My baffles were approximately 2" id and I used a 3/8" narrow flange washer (one that would just cover the flange of an allen bolt, not a fender washer). We did it for performance reasons, but by adding the washer to the baffle we found that it drastically reduced the decibel levels coming from the exhaust system. Give it a try. Another trick was to simply wrap the metal baffle with fiberglass insulation. This works great as well. Have fun.
Thanks for the idea with the washer! I did some research on google and guys are calling it the lollipop exhaust baffle. Google image search that and see if that is the same thing you are talking about. I just wanted to have a picture for a reference. I really want to give this a try because I like how the baffles I have now sound, but they're just too loud.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the idea with the washer! I did some research on google and guys are calling it the lollipop exhaust baffle. Google image search that and see if that is the same thing you are talking about. I just wanted to have a picture for a reference. I really want to give this a try because I like how the baffles I have now sound, but they're just too loud.
No welder is needed for this. Just drill one hole near end of sidepipe and install a thumbsrew using two locking nuts for the same effect!!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:36 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I currently have sweet thunder on myLS3 427 and I like it. I have the 2.5 inch flow through but you can get other sizes and they are made very well. t
Old 05-25-2016, 02:21 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have sweet thunder 2.5" and they are loud I've thought of wrapping them with steel wool and drilling some holes to let the gasses take a path through the steel wool BUT, I don't think I'm going to do it because they sound so much better than the local cobra kit guys car it isn't even funny.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Side pipes being quiet enoguh to talk?

Maybe consider an undercar exhaust hard to have your cake and eat it too
Old 05-25-2016, 02:30 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yep its silly when you think about it. If you can't deal with the noise don't have the exhaust exit a foot from your ear
Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM
Evette76
Advanced

Originally Posted by widowmaker221
No welder is needed for this. Just drill one hole near end of sidepipe and install a thumbsrew using two locking nuts for the same effect!!
Thumbscrew? pics? Size?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Evette76
Advanced

Originally Posted by widowmaker221
Thumbscrew? Pics of what your talking about? Size?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Please let us know what you do and if it works

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Side pipes baffle suggestions. Mine are too loud!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:31 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

these are dougs with maxflows on a 383, i think they are too quiet

Old 06-02-2019, 07:53 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Knerf
these are dougs with maxflows on a 383, i think they are too quiet

https://youtu.be/H9FSNNJn8qg

Wow, mine were MUCH louder

Last edited by cottoneg; 06-02-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:38 AM
KWIL
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Thumbscrew? Pics of what your talking about? Size?
Something like this:

Quick Reply: Hooker Side pipes baffle suggestions. Mine are too loud!