C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3/LSA Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LS3/LSA Supercharger Install

About a week ago I pulled the trigger and parked my 74 Stingray and gathered up over a years research worth of parts and vowed to get the supercharger installed and tuned in time for this years Hot Rod Power Tour. Here's a recap of the last week

Supercharger ready for install

The head of the new ZL1 intercooler hat uses a proprietary water port fitting that are made of plastic, pricey, and leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Here is my solution.

No room up front for the supercharger intercooler which left one location

I pulled the LS3 intake and prepped her for the blower

I still marvel at the CNC porting on the heads. WAY better than anything I ever did with an air dremel.

There she sits...

You know, I thought I measured this long before the install and I'd be OK in the hood clearance department...

But THIS looks rather high...

I'm pleased to report it DOES fit. By how much, I'm not sure. I'll borrow some of my grandson's Playdo and post those findings. Had I not opted for the taller than 2.5" L88 hood, the LSA would never had fit

I had to move the Fbody belt spacing closer to the block requiring the corvette brackets. I might also note I went with the Holley high mount LS brackets, mounting the AC compressor and alternator up high due to clearance issues down low. When I did this, it moved the accessories further towards the block and put the alternator into the nice aluminum remote power steering pump reservoir. Note the hollowed out area at the back of the supercharger. PERFECT for the Holley reservoir to fit, and following along with the rest of the theme of trying to make it look as if Chevrolet did it themselves.
*Note the location of the cold air intake. This is temporary. The nearly 45 deg offset of the supercharger snout has ate up very valuable space in the filter department, and anything resembling cold air is unlikely here. I'll have to fab up something that hopefully can draw cool air from below the radiator

Next up is the scheduled dyno tune
Old 05-25-2016, 01:19 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow very nice ! I marvel at some members fabrication skills and yours is right up there. I can build engines, transmissions, rear ends etc but when it come to fabricating a part that does not exist I am at a loss. My hat is off to you

Hope to see some dyno numbers is the 700HP range !
Old 05-25-2016, 02:02 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default very impressive :) -- nice job

do you have a picture of that proprietary water port fitting for the head of the new ZL1 intercooler hat uses a ..... just curious what it was like.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:49 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

very cool, I'll have to hunt you down on the power tour. Be cool to see 2 blown C3's parked next to each other...

again, nice build
Old 05-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Patro46
Pro

Originally Posted by carriljc
do you have a picture of that proprietary water port fitting for the head of the new ZL1 intercooler hat uses a ..... just curious what it was like.
Here are a few pictures of what the fittings on the stock ZL1 water connections look like. I don't have the flimsy looking plastic piece that's connected to a hose, but this is what it looks like

The following users liked this post:
carriljc (05-25-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Very nice!
Old 05-26-2016, 02:23 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Very nice build
Old 05-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Very nice. I'll be interested in dyno numbers
Old 05-26-2016, 02:55 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Very, very nice. That's just friggin awesome.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Patro46
Pro

The dyno tune showed to things. First, she creates 428 hp on about 5 lbs of boost. Second, we have way over 600 hp worth of air moving across the MAF. Finally, it was determined we were experiencing belt slip, so maybe I need to step back a little.
When we took her off the trailer, I noticed the supercharger belt didn't look right. Matter of fact, it looked stretched, clearly too big in diameter, now anyway. Unfortunately, short 8 rib belts are rather rare, and nobody had one.....so....we did the next best thing - we found a 6 rib belt and crossed our fingers. What we learned was a 6 rib belt won't do it.
Long story short, the Goodyear Gator back belt that crosses over from the Dayco number happens to be nearly a half inch shorter that the Dayco belt.
So....since nobody in the entire town of Tulsa has one, I ordered the correct Dayco belt. Hopefully, that should do.it, and my tesioner won't be maxed out.

In closing, I missed out on another Hotrod Power Tour. 3rd time should be a charm, right?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Very nice job! What are the specs of your exhaust?

Last edited by JimLentz; 06-17-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Patro46
Pro

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Very nice job! What are the specs of your exhaust?
At the time of your question, it was 2.5" with 2012 Camaro SS exhaust manifold with Magnaflows.
Since then I've came to learn the SS Camaro exhaust manifolds are far too restrictive and the 2.5" exhaust is far too restrictive. As I type, the car is now being fitted with 3" mandrel bent exhaust and I have installed a set of 1 7/8" x 3.00" longtubes, then off for another dyno tune. Also bumped the boost from 9 to 15 lbs and improved the intercooler radiator
Old 11-08-2017, 01:43 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I'd like to swap the LSA from my wife's cts-v but I think she'd notice the reduction of power. Her v made 450+rwhp on a Mustang dyno with a Corsa touring exhaust and an AirRaid cai. You have a nice mod with that swap for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3/LSA Supercharger Install

Quick Reply: LS3/LSA Supercharger Install