C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake manifold leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:34 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Default intake manifold leak

'78 L82 with aluminum intake manifold. I found the leak I have been searching for at the right front under the air pump. The bolt there is broken and has been that way for a long time. The only repair I see is to remove the manifold , replace broken bolt and new gasket. This is above my comfort level and will need to take it in.

I am thinking next winter'project I might pull the engine to detail it and the engine compartment. That would be my preferred time to repair this.

But what kind of damage could I do if I drive it another 3000 miles like it is?

Thanks for any advise.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:38 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz
'78 L82 with aluminum intake manifold. I found the leak I have been searching for at the right front under the air pump. The bolt there is broken and has been that way for a long time. The only repair I see is to remove the manifold , replace broken bolt and new gasket. This is above my comfort level and will need to take it in.

I am thinking next winter'project I might pull the engine to detail it and the engine compartment. That would be my preferred time to repair this.

Thanks for any advise.
Is the bolt sheared off flush with the block? What are you leaking? Air? coolant? oil? Is it leaking at the bolt hole? or through the gasket interface?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:49 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz

Thanks for any advise.
As long as you keep oil in it shouldn't be any damage, but might dirty up your engine bay some. The intake can seem fairly daunting, but it's not that bad and we could talk you through it if you like. Main tool to have is a timing gun and some prefer to put the intake back on with a torque wrench, myself included but only on cast iron heads.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

You might be able to back out the remaining bolt. If so a new bolt should be work until you are ready to replace the gaskets.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

It is leaking coolant. The leak is between the manifold and the block. It looks like the gasket in that area is damaged a bit. The bolt is sheared off about 1\4" below the top of the manifold. I guess I could try to drill it out and remove it wi th , damn I forget what its called. Easy out?. But I think the gasket is shot and only replacing it will fix my leak.

Oil looks good on the dip stick. Have not drained it to get a reall good look at it. Could I be leaking coolant into the oil?

Could this also be causing a vacuum leak?

Thanks again for everyones help.

I would attempt to remove it myself but I'm guessing tnat the other bolts are frozen in place. I have access to an acetylene tourch but fear putting to mucch heat on the aluminum and damaging it. Maybe if I stare at it some more and just try each bolt to see if they break loose I can do this.

As I said it nas been this way for a long time.
Attached Images  

Last edited by biackbenz; 05-26-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Go to youtube; watch videos.

Call summit, get felpro or mr gasket ultraseal gaskets, a intake bolt set and silicone permatex or right stuff. And I like gaskacinch.
Take pictures with your cell.
Remove intake; clean everything well. Use brake cleaner, thinner, etc.to clean surfaces.
Get a torque wrench; Harbor Freight will do.
Replace your intake gaskets. It will not take long.
Be sure to drop the manifold carefully so you don't disturb gaskets.

And have fun!
The following users liked this post:
biackbenz (05-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To intake manifold leak

Quick Reply: intake manifold leak