C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal indicator on 69 C3

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Turn signal indicator on 69 C3

I have a dash turn signal indicator that is not working on a 69 C3. Assuming it is a bulb is this a difficult repair?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:36 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Yes and no.

First the "no" part......it's a simple bulb replacement.

The "yes" part...........getting to it. The left dash panel needs removed, as also the center panel would ease the process, and the steering column should be dropped a few inches to drop the dash panel. Tedious, but not really hard. I'd replace all bulbs at this time.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:09 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi B,
The turn signal bulbs can be replaced with the dash pad in place because they're at the bottom of the speedometer and tachometer cases. You can reach your fingers up from below.
You inspired me Alan to go out and fix my left turn signal. Three hours later, it's flashing again.

As to reaching up there, well yes, providing you unbolt the trip odometer cable and bracket and move it out of the way. That involves finding a phillips bit extension that fits the screw holding the bracket and turning it with a 1/4" wrench, 60 degrees at a time. Can't get a screwdriver in there that I could tell. Then drop the steering column cover and move all its encumbrances out of the way and tie them down with a zip tie so they stay out of the way.

Turns out that the reason it wasn't flashing was that the bulb had fallen out of the socket. Not the first time that has happened either.

Got so excited I thought I'd fix the courtesy light. Went to the store to get a nice bright LED to put in its place. Turns out if I touch the base of the LED to metal I blow a fuse. So that was a lot of fun getting the blown fuze out and putting a new one in. I am not real sure what GM was thinking about either the fuse box or the courtesy light. The bulb enclosure is right over the hood release cable and I couldn't make the bulb seat, so I moved it elsewhere. That's after disconnecting the battery cable to make sure I didn't blow that fuse again.

Not that I'm complaining mind you this is all pretty typical of the most trivial jobs on these cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal indicator on 69 C3

Quick Reply: Turn signal indicator on 69 C3