C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in case you go racing with your big lotto win.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:52 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Default in case you go racing with your big lotto win.

Looking at a ragazine never seen before on racing engines that cost $25.00 so i broke out the $7.00 2.5 Walmart up close glasses for a read. The company that builds Erica Enders pro stock engines gave some details of current NHRA pro stock. Valve spring technology has now moved there RPM up from 9,800 rpm just a few yrs ago to now over 11,000 rpm. They mentioned that the NHRA is considering changing the rules to only allow them a 10,500 rpm red line. Rules now say the intake valve can weigh no less then 90 grams. The intake valve in her engine is a hollow stem 2.62 dia. weighs 91 grams. They are now showing success in using cryo treatment on the valve springs with 1400 lbs open 550 on the seat. Intake valve lift is 1.1 with 1.0 on the exhaust. Current pro stock has went from in the past using as much as 2.5 ratio shaft rockers, to the Jessel steel 2.1 ratio. Camshaft at 275/330 duration.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

You completely left out the new EFI rules.....
NHRA is putting their hands where they not need be......
I do not understand why they feel the need to step in on an unlimited class......500 inches, gasoline...and carburation were the only engine rules in the past.....
They EFI'd NASCAR and made a class that I did not believe could be even more boring.....more boring.....
It is interesting to see how the teams will work through development on the EFI program.....
But.....
You MUST run the Holley EFI system
You MUST run the K&N intake system
What?
I quit watching all forms of pro racing save F1 many years ago......because when it becomes about the show and the money....you ruin it.
Pro Stock is still a true modern marvel......the are the most tenacious and dedicated engine builders in the world......but it just is too diluted for my tastes......
They need real car people and motorheads making the rules....not stuffy know-it-alls with a control problem.

Jebby
The following 2 users liked this post by Jebbysan:
mikem350 (06-03-2016), Syl1953 (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 08:38 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I remember in the 70's there was a F1 "H" configured engine that was turning 16K RPM. I'd love to have someone explain how the hell they did that.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
I remember in the 70's there was a F1 "H" configured engine that was turning 16K RPM. I'd love to have someone explain how the hell they did that.
2 flat 8's w/ connected crankshafts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_engine

Last edited by jim2527; 06-02-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:48 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

There used to be as many as 30+ Pro Stock car onthe property at any given big event. I noticed now they are having a hard time getting a 16 car field which means the qualifying sessions are only for position and every car makes the field.

Kinda sad and I wonder if many teams threw in the towel when they went to EFI /
Old 06-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
You completely left out the new EFI rules.....
NHRA is putting their hands where they not need be......
I do not understand why they feel the need to step in on an unlimited class......500 inches, gasoline...and carburation were the only engine rules in the past.....
They EFI'd NASCAR and made a class that I did not believe could be even more boring.....more boring.....
It is interesting to see how the teams will work through development n the EFI program.....
But.....
You MUST run the Holley EFI system
You MUST run the K&N intake system
What?
I quit watching all forms of pro racing save F1 many years ago......because when it becomes about the show and the money....you ruin it.
Pro Stock is still a true modern marvel......the are the most tenacious and dedicated engine builders in the world......but it just is too diluted for my tastes......
They need real car people and motorheads making the rules....not stuffy know-it-alls with a control problem.

Jebby
There was a lot of stuff i left out just mentioned the valve related stuff.

I have not went to a professional drag race since they changed to 1000 ft racing for top fuel and funny car even though it has been pro stock that i like to watch. I started going to pro events back in the early 60s at pomona and the track in orange county and there were a lot more classes of racing to watch far better for spectatators. When Scott Kallitta was killed that is part of any sport don't cheat the public. Tracks that were not long enough for a good shut down should have been closed or owners made to put in new tracks again not cheat the public.

In 106 yrs of running the Isle of man TT there have been 240 riders killed in it. In one yr alone there were 6 killed 3 in Qualllifing 3 in the races. I consider drag racing now a sport for sissies. Way i see it your a professional driver the risk of death comes with your job.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 06-02-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:29 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Originally Posted by jnb5101
I'm no gear head and have no idea. I am an F1 fan and didn't start watching until late 80s/early 90s. i don't remember seeing 20k in a race but I was sure I remembered 18k+.

and i know (somewhat) how to google.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/high-...-at-20000-rpm/

Get notified of new replies

To in case you go racing with your big lotto win.

Quick Reply: in case you go racing with your big lotto win.