C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up rear end from "Batwing" on an '80?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:13 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Jacking up rear end from "Batwing" on an '80?

Looking for an easier way to get my car jacked up for the frequent under-car needs, tire swaps, etc. I usually back the car up on steel ramps, but the other day when I was pulling forward off of them, they slipped and went shooting out causing my car to crash down which compressed the suspension and the left rear fender crushed down on the ramp causing damage to the fiberglass / paint. Awesome.....

Anyway, is there any risk using the bottom center of the 'batwing' on my 80 as a jacking point? It would seem to me that is the area that carries the entire load of the rear end via the spring anyway. Once jacked up I would use blocks under the wheels and remove the jack.

Thanks

Last edited by gbarmore; 06-05-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:58 AM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarmore
Looking for an easier way to get my car jacked up for the frequent under-car needs, tire swaps, etc. I usually back the car up on steel ramps, but the other day when I was pulling forward off of them, they slipped and went shooting out causing my car to crash down which compressed the suspension and the left rear fender crushed down on the ramp causing damage to the fiberglass / paint. Awesome.....

Anyway, is there any risk using the bottom center of the 'batwing' on my 80 as a jacking point? It would seem to me that is the area that carries the entire load of the rear end via the spring anyway. Once jacked up I would use blocks under the wheels and remove the jack.

Thanks

The first problem I have with lifting mine up that way is, it's aluminum. The wing is also the cover that bolts on and from a design concern, I think it needed a couple more.. I just use the frame rails, either one at a time or I roll out a second jack.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:05 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

I built some wooden ramps years ago for a camaro that are 5' long with a 10" rise. Something like them would be very stable, I use them for the Vette now. When I remove wheels I always jack on the frame as mentioned.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:31 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The bottom of the batwing is where the spring is mounted, it holds the car up all day every day, I can't see how it would hurt it to put a jack under it to lift the car.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:38 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
The bottom of the batwing is where the spring is mounted, it holds the car up all day every day, I can't see how it would hurt it to put a jack under it to lift the car.
True, the spring mounts to the bracket on the diff. and is designed, cast, machined to be the anchor point. When it's all bolted together, it is a system (aluminum)that supports the weight of the vehicle. You can jack up your 80 wherever you want, my comfort zone uses the frame rails.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:49 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes I do it all the time! The jack cup is tight fit over the exhaust, have to shove it in
Old 06-05-2016, 02:01 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

My thoughts, the recommended jacking points are just that, recommended for using the original jack to change a tire by the side of the road. Using a floor jack to lift the entire rear of the car at the point that the car normally sits on,(rear spring mount at the diff) is safer than lifting from points on the side frame. It lifts the rear evenly so two stands can be set, no frame twisting for those with frame issues and no setting one jack stand at a time and then lifting the other side to set another one. Mostly, I just use my 2 post lift.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
...AND the 'bat wing' is NOT taking all the weight also...because there is a FRONT mount also.

30+ years of jacking it that way and NEVER ONE PROBLEM...do as always....DO AS YOU WISH.

DUB
Old 06-05-2016, 09:40 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
...AND the 'bat wing' is NOT taking all the weight also...because there is a FRONT mount also.

30+ years of jacking it that way and NEVER ONE PROBLEM...do as always....DO AS YOU WISH.

DUB
Thanks everyone! Glad to hear others have been jacking from the spring mount without issue. I may build some ramps eventually but I have enough projects for now.

Appreciate the input.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:42 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

On mine, I can't get to the diff because of the exhaust right under it, and yeah I'm not sure I'd want to lift it from the aluminum diff. I recently used the cross member right before it: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nder-diff.html

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up rear end from "Batwing" on an '80?

Quick Reply: Jacking up rear end from "Batwing" on an '80?