C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help 1980 interior couresy lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:03 PM
sledgehammer16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help 1980 interior couresy lights don't work

Hey guys need a bit off help. I'm stumped. Little back story unsure if it has anything to do with the issue. So few days ago I for some reason connected the brown wire of the alarm (black box by fuse box). Into its proper spot..... Why? I have no clue I can't leave well enough alone I suppose. Anyway thought bout it and decided to leave it unplugged as it was for years so I tried to get it out but was stuck no matter how hard I pulled on it.... So I left it for a few days. (When I left it all interior lights worked)
So today I open up driver door to the Vette to take that plug out of fuse box and none of my interior lights work. I took out that brown plug that I wanted out of the fuse panel (turns out there was a release on it... I'm an idiot).

Next I Wanted to investigate lighting issue. I checked the plastic fuses.....all good. All of the other electrics work on vehicle (stereo, gauge lights. Hood light, signals, hood, glove box) and if you turn light switch to the far left all the courtesy interior lights come on. Next I took out the plunger in the door pilar cleaned it up but still interior lights will not come on when you open the door.

Is it a coincidence that after I plugged in the brown wire it would kill my lights? What do you guys think this is and how can I fix it. Please help
Old 06-08-2016, 12:19 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Does your 80 have delayed interior lights (they stay on for a few seconds after you close the doors)? If so, it sounds like the delay module has gone bad. The module is a small orange box (at least on my 79) located behind the glove box.

I seem to recall Willcox having the replacement module, but when mine went bad, I just removed the timer box and connected the two white wires together (taped off the remaining wires so they didn't short to anything). This basically just bypassed the delay timer, and the lights go on/off with the doors (no delay).

P.S. I couldn't find a brown wire in my alarm circuit wiring diagram for 79, so I don't know if connecting that wire might have led to the delay box going bad...

Last edited by bradleyb66; 06-08-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:32 AM
sledgehammer16
Advanced

Yes my lights do have a delayed timer. I took the orange delayed timer box out yesterday and inspected it and it doesn't look burnt or damaged. . I cleaned connectors a bit and put back together and nothing happened. Would I notice if it was bad or damaged? As for that brown wire I may be incorrect on the colour.

The plug was brown can't remember now the colour of the wire. How ever it is the only single wire with singal prong connector on the alarm horn.

Also would the 2 rectangle steel circuit breakers have anything to do with the courtesy light. I looked through my book in electrical a bit and there is nothing really on the breakers.

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
Does your 80 have delayed interior lights (they stay on for a few seconds after you close the doors)? If so, it sounds like the delay module has gone bad. The module is a small orange box (at least on my 79) located behind the glove box.

I seem to recall Willcox having the replacement module, but when mine went bad, I just removed the timer box and connected the two white wires together (taped off the remaining wires so they didn't short to anything). This basically just bypassed the delay timer, and the lights go on/off with the doors (no delay).

P.S. I couldn't find a brown wire in my alarm circuit wiring diagram for 79, so I don't know if connecting that wire might have led to the delay box going bad...
Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

You probably can't tell from looking at the delay timer if it is bad. If the wiring colors are the same in 80 as 79, then there should be two white wires going to the delay timer. If you unplug the delay timer and use a piece of wire to short the white wires together, the lights should start functioning properly (but with no off delay).

I don't have my wiring diagrams in front of me, but I'm guessing that the rectangular steel breakers are for other circuits, like A/C or defroster circuits?
The following users liked this post:
sledgehammer16 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

sledgehammer16,

As described, jump out the orange delay switch and see if the lights work. If they do, I would replace the timer.
The following users liked this post:
sledgehammer16 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 10:59 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Go to the timer and check the voltage input wire. Then check the outputs.. that'll tell you if it's working or not.

Here is a isolated circuit schematic of the entire circuit tool

and if you do need the timer, I make just the board. https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...er-board-78-82

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-10-2016 at 11:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Willcox Corvette:
sledgehammer16 (06-16-2016), zzip (03-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 PM
sledgehammer16
Advanced

Hey guys just wanted to send a reply and say thank you for all the help in trouble shooting the problem. The courtesy lights now work again. It was the the circuit board for the timer delay.

Thank you again!!!

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Go to the timer and check the voltage input wire. Then check the outputs.. that'll tell you if it's working or not.

Here is a isolated circuit schematic of the entire circuit tool

and if you do need the timer, I make just the board. https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...er-board-78-82

Willcox
Old 06-16-2016, 11:39 PM
sledgehammer16
Advanced

Hey guys just wanted to send a reply and say thank you for all the help in trouble shooting the problem. The courtesy lights now work again. It was the the circuit board for the timer delay.

Thank you again!!!

Last edited by sledgehammer16; 06-16-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:01 AM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sledgehammer16

Thank you again!!!
Glad you found the problem, thanks for posting your solution.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Ernie

Have you figured out what goes bad on these boards?
Old 06-19-2016, 10:59 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Ernie

Have you figured out what goes bad on these boards?
Tom-

I've never investigated this because right after GM stopped making the boards I started... I was never pressed into fixing them like I had to on the low fuel warning modules. We made a design change to ours by adding a fuse to the board which makes it a bit more safe.

The C4 timers are an entirely different bread and with all the added electrical components they are prone to voltage spikes. The rear hatch and rear deck lid release solenoids have rectifiers in place which is supposed to stop the spike, but when that fails it'll super spike the board and almost melt the housing. (again another reason we put a fuse in there).

Get notified of new replies

To Please help 1980 interior couresy lights don't work

Quick Reply: Please help 1980 interior couresy lights don't work