C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long brand Shifters (Not Length)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts
Default Long brand Shifters (Not Length)

How many guys have one of these? I never heard of them before I got on Corvette Forum. I was planning on installing a Hurst on my 4 speed, but I hear good things about the Long. I would be using the H pattern. I may put in an overdrive later, then I'd need a completely different shifter, or maybe just different linkage?

http://www.longshifters.com/shifter_4_hb100s.asp
Old 06-30-2016, 05:20 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

very doubtful a Long rail shifter will fit in your tunnel although it is the best hands down shifter I have ever shifted, besides that Leonard was instrumental in me finding my trans/shifter which makes me a big fan of his.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:20 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Long makes incredibly good stuff. They are part of the same company that builds the G-Force transmission in my car.... Long Engineering. I can't say enough good about their quality and service.

As mentioned, it might be a tight fit in there.

I've got a GF5R race transmission with no synchros etc. Normally that would have an "in-line" race shifter on it, but that means no console and whacking big holes in the floor. Uh-uh.

When I told them what I wanted, they built a custom 5 speed shifter to go with the trans based on a NASCAR 4 speed housing. They then built special reinforced shift rods to make it all work and fit in my console. When you buy one of these transmissions, they won't sell it to you unless you buy one of their shifters with it. At first I wanted to re-use my Hurst off my Doug Nash 5 speed, but after seeing the difference I was convinced. Hurst is good...but the Long's are in another realm. It uses "sliding blocks" internally vs stamped shift arms.

The one in my car was described by a buddy as feeling like "bolt action". There's a couple of versions...mine is the killer one...but even the "regular" one is great.

BTW, that buddy is just now stepping up to one like mine..so he has his regular Long shifter for sale if you have a Richmond 5 speed type trans.

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 06-30-2016 at 05:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Richard Daugird (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 08:10 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

Jim, do you have any pics of your shifter?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod

BTW, that buddy is just now stepping up to one like mine..so he has his regular Long shifter for sale if you have a Richmond 5 speed type trans.

JIM
Damn I just pulled the trigger an hour ago in paint and body. I think I'll wait till I switch to an O. D. trans and get a long to fit.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:40 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Jim, do you have any pics of your shifter?
You know...I don't think I do.

But here's a pic of the one my buddy just got that is similar design. Mine is made out of a slightly different housing. He is actually returning this one and they are building one like mine for him.

Look close at the bottom pic...you can see the three thick sliding blocks instead of little stamped arms.

The shot of the curved rods is mine. Looks funky but they don't flex and work perfectly.

JIM

Old 07-01-2016, 02:18 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

so he has his regular Long shifter for sale if you have a Richmond 5 speed

I would like to look into purchasing the Richmond 5 speed Long shifter.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:11 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Sent a PM
Old 07-01-2016, 03:32 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

427Hotrod

Your PM is full.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:34 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

Holy smokes Jim, that thing looks like an anvil! I am in the process of putting an Richmond in my 69 which has a Hurst. Could you pm me the price on one like yours and what to ask for for them to build one for me. Thanks for posting the pics, that thing looks awesome.

Bill
Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Cleaned it out...had a lot of hits all of a sudden!

JIM
Old 07-01-2016, 11:03 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Holy smokes Jim, that thing looks like an anvil! I am in the process of putting an Richmond in my 69 which has a Hurst. Could you pm me the price on one like yours and what to ask for for them to build one for me. Thanks for posting the pics, that thing looks awesome.

Bill
LOL....yep it's a tank!

As I mentioned, he's sending back the one in the pics, mainly due to the straight rods. That arrangement was designed for something you don't mind whacking the floor on so you can get perfectly straight rods. That's what those spacers are for...to move it outward which doesn't work too well in our cars. It's pretty tight on my console but I got it to fit with a little work. Can't remember how much room is under a C-3 console..but a C2 is right on it. That big upper bolt is high enough to touch it...but if you get it in there it's worth it!

He sent me a note today and said they had actually discontinued the version I have but they are going to build him one anyway. They said they had enough parts to do one for him. Not sure how many other custom ones they can do...but if enough people are interested I'm sure they will get interested too!

He's been working with Chris at Long. I always dealt with Bubba in the past. Worth giving them a call and see what they can do.

I'll send you a PM too.

JIM
Old 07-03-2016, 04:55 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
LOL....yep it's a tank!

As I mentioned, he's sending back the one in the pics, mainly due to the straight rods. That arrangement was designed for something you don't mind whacking the floor on so you can get perfectly straight rods. That's what those spacers are for...to move it outward which doesn't work too well in our cars. It's pretty tight on my console but I got it to fit with a little work. Can't remember how much room is under a C-3 console..but a C2 is right on it. That big upper bolt is high enough to touch it...but if you get it in there it's worth it!

He sent me a note today and said they had actually discontinued the version I have but they are going to build him one anyway. They said they had enough parts to do one for him. Not sure how many other custom ones they can do...but if enough people are interested I'm sure they will get interested too!

He's been working with Chris at Long. I always dealt with Bubba in the past. Worth giving them a call and see what they can do.

I'll send you a PM too.

JIM
Jim - how do you cope with a non-syncro gearbox in daily usage - are you forever 'crashing' gears - or is it simpler that we think to use?
Old 07-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Jim - how do you cope with a non-syncro gearbox in daily usage - are you forever 'crashing' gears - or is it simpler that we think to use?
truck driver.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:31 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
truck driver.
LOL...well I have maintained a CDL license for about 35 years!

It's really not hard to drive. Once you get the hang of it, it slips right into gear. I've had quite a few folks drive it and within a few miles they've got upshifts and downshifts working pretty good.

No doubt it can be a little "clunkier" than a synchro trans...and it's a strange sensation/feeling with the extra 'slop" in the sliders. If you lightly get on/off the gas at low speeds you can sometimes feel the slack in the assembly. To describe it, you can put it in gear and hold input shaft stationary and still rotate the output shaft 1/8 of a turn maybe. You don't feel it in normal use. You "'might" feel it if you get the motor in that "inbetween" stage where you're not accelerating or decelerating and it gets to bouncing back and forth. All you have to do is apply a little gas or let off completely and it's back to normal.

It's a hardcore racing trans for sure...but man does it shift when you want it to! And for just fun scootin' through the gears it's a heck of a lot of fun too.

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To Long brand Shifters (Not Length)

Quick Reply: Long brand Shifters (Not Length)