C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c-3 radiators

Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default c-3 radiators

going to have my stock 4-row radiator checked out next week. i'll have to compare what it cost to rebuild to what a new aluminum one cost. which is my question, has anybody used any of those e-bay aluminum radiators that cost about 150.00 bucks? they say they will fit my 71 but i wonder if they have the exact inlet and outlet tubes like the stock ones have. could be a real pita if the in and out are not curved like the stock ones.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:54 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

There are several threads about aluminum radiators. If you search the forum for Champion, you will get a ton of posts to read.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

Get the best you can afford. A quality radiator is a worthwhile investment.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:31 PM
76C3forme
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I've used Champion on several cars (but not on my Corvette as of yet). Very pleased with the quality / performance.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

From what I see reported back on here by members the import budget champion is a winner, they seem to cool just fine and the only down side is some people say the fit is perfect others say they had to bend a mount or modify a piece of rubber cushion,
If 150 and the possibility of tweaking a mount offends you then you might consider pony up the dues several 100 more for the name brand that while they do sell at extra costs their own rubber cushion I have not read of anyone saying they the hold down had to be tweaked
Old 07-04-2016, 12:22 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloodzone
Get the best you can afford. A quality radiator is a worthwhile investment.
Yes! Your Corvette deserves something better than a cheap POS radiator. Tomorrow is the 4th of July. Buy a quality American made product.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:31 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

One word, DeWitts. Job done, its a cheap investment in a quality US made product.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:35 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by rcread
Yes! Your Corvette deserves something better than a cheap POS radiator. Tomorrow is the 4th of July. Buy a quality American made product.
I must have missed the tread where all the buyers of the budget champion import called it a cheap pos unworthy of a corvette,
Actually the threads I have seen members seem happy to have saved like 400.00,
Old 07-04-2016, 02:18 AM
rcread
Race Director

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I must have missed the tread where all the buyers of the budget champion import called it a cheap pos unworthy of a corvette,
Actually the threads I have seen members seem happy to have saved like 400.00,
Some people are happy buying Hyundais, too. We aren't those people. We're Corvette drivers. We buy quality radiators.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

CDW - I agree with this statement, buy the best (not necessarily most expensive) all-around rad you can afford that aso fits your goals. Do your research and make up your own mind about what is right for you.

I would also suggest making sure your shroud covers the entire rad surface and it is sealed between both radiator/support and the rad/shroud if you expect it to cool properly. It's easy to assume an installed rad is no good, but other issues like proper airflow were not addressed first. I would tell anyone to check that before you make a major investment in hardware.

On buying brands other than the "popular choice" - Nothing wrong with Champion if you aren't concerned about stock look and want to save some cash. I have yet to talk to someone with a champion that has failed. Like wise, nothing wrong with a Dewitts that is known for high quality and you will likely fit w/out tweaking a bracket or modifying a cushion.

Last edited by cooper9811; 07-04-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:25 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default rad

thanks for all the replies, very good info.
Originally Posted by cdw
going to have my stock 4-row radiator checked out next week. i'll have to compare what it cost to rebuild to what a new aluminum one cost. which is my question, has anybody used any of those e-bay aluminum radiators that cost about 150.00 bucks? they say they will fit my 71 but i wonder if they have the exact inlet and outlet tubes like the stock ones have. could be a real pita if the in and out are not curved like the stock ones.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I brought my original, leaking radiator to a local shop to be refurbished. They told me it was beyond saving and sold me a new one for about $250. It was a Taiwanese made brass/copper radiator. The hoses lined up properly, but I could never get the radiator to mount properly in the support bracket and fit with the shroud. I tried forever to get it to fit. Finally gave up, flipped the radiator on CL and went with the DeWitt. I am very happy with the investment. Everything fit back together properly, and the car runs extremely cool, even in traffic in the Texas summer heat.

Last edited by gguillot; 07-05-2016 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Some people are happy buying Hyundais, too. We aren't those people. We're Corvette drivers. We buy quality radiators.
I couldn't be happier with my champion radiator. It fit great and cools my 425hp stroker no problem. Some people rag on them as cheap compromises, but imho, if that's the way you feel you should have bought a Ferrari. same performance at a higher price.

The made in America argument is valid, but it is hard to justify the extra cost when performance is comparable. I'm happy to pay for a superior product, I just havnt seen the eveidence that the champion is inferior in anyway. Plenty of people have reported negative experiences with both products, and MANY more have had positive experience with both.
The13Bats (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 05:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

"WE"?

sorry you might speak for every other corvette owner /driver but not this one...

I never owned or drove a Hyundai but being a late model I just bet it has fuel injection and air bags which my 69 doesn't...hum,

Don't get me wrong while I love old school builds with these classic c3's I do like upgrades here and there and in that I see zero reason to try to toss insults at people who do not buy the same brand part I do.
you buy whatever radiator you desire and let the next cat buy what he desires.

I would love to always buy American parts but I simply can not for reasons ranging from lack of availability to not being able to afford to pay several times the price for an American made part that works no better than it's imported counterpart.

for me the forum is all about sharing camaraderie and information,
Do you have any first hand information and feedback that a certain brand radiator is a POS as you put it, if so please do share that information it would be far more helpful that just saying import radiators are a POS, feedback and replies on this forum prove they are not.
Jeff_Keryk (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 05:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Folks should realize that, when these cars were new, Copper was dirt cheap and Aluminum was somewhat pricey. So, the factory radiators had copper cores...even though aluminum would have cooled better.

Today, those costs are reversed, so Aluminum radiators are relatively cheap and Copper cored radiators are rather expensive [if you can find them at all]. So, if you have your stock radiator recored with copper, it's going to cost you..but it will be like the stock unit. If you swap over to aluminum, you will get a better performing radiator for less money.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 07-04-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:42 PM
rcread
Race Director

I only have my own experiences of buying cheap radiators and replacing them 10 months later. The good thing about that was I got really good at replacing radiators. If that were an Olympic sport, I would be making travel plans for Brazil.

"WE"?

sorry you might speak for every other corvette owner /driver but not this one...

I never owned or drove a Hyundai but being a late model I just bet it has fuel injection and air bags which my 69 doesn't...hum,

Don't get me wrong while I love old school builds with these classic c3's I do like upgrades here and there and in that I see zero reason to try to toss insults at people who do not buy the same brand part I do.
you buy whatever radiator you desire and let the next cat buy what he desires.

I would love to always buy American parts but I simply can not for reasons ranging from lack of availability to not being able to afford to pay several times the price for an American made part that works no better than it's imported counterpart.

for me the forum is all about sharing camaraderie and information,
Do you have any first hand information and feedback that a certain brand radiator is a POS as you put it, if so please do share that information it would be far more helpful that just saying import radiators are a POS, feedback and replies on this forum prove they are not.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I only have my own experiences of buying cheap radiators and replacing them 10 months later. The good thing about that was I got really good at replacing radiators. If that were an Olympic sport, I would be making travel plans for Brazil.
No one likes doing the same PITA job over and over, sounds like you did this a lot,

How many have you swapped out that were bad?

What brand were all these crap radiators you had to keep swapping out, were they all on corvettes?

Get notified of new replies

To c-3 radiators

Old 07-04-2016, 10:17 PM
rcread
Race Director

No one likes doing the same PITA job over and over, sounds like you did this a lot,

How many have you swapped out that were bad?

What brand were all these crap radiators you had to keep swapping out, were they all on corvettes?
They were cheap imported radiators, but I don't remember the brands. I did several on my BMW 5 series. It was an annual ritual on that car. My parents' '77 Corvette had one that lasted two years, my 240SX had one last about 18 months, and our kid's VW GTI radiator lasted about six months. Now I just get factory when I can, or the best available when no factory radiator is available. They last two radiators, for our Triumph TR6 and '78 Firebird, were quality units that have lasted for over five years. The Dewitts in my '71 Corvette is almost ten years old.
The13Bats (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

They were cheap imported radiators, but I don't remember the brands. I did several on my BMW 5 series. It was an annual ritual on that car. My parents' '77 Corvette had one that lasted two years, my 240SX had one last about 18 months, and our kid's VW GTI radiator lasted about six months. Now I just get factory when I can, or the best available when no factory radiator is available. They last two radiators, for our Triumph TR6 and '78 Firebird, were quality units that have lasted for over five years. The Dewitts in my '71 Corvette is almost ten years old.
...so not really a corvette thing for you as much as a no name radiator thing,

Lots of people on this forum have proven that the 'budget" champion radiator a lot of members are buying to save 400.00 plus over the name brand performs and last just as good as that name brand unit, so I wasn't poking at you at all but rather trying to gain extra information on the subject, since we do not know the brand of the radiators you have problems with it only helps so much.

I was just trying to clarify that you were not saying the "budget" champion was the POS....
Old 07-05-2016, 01:01 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default rad

thanks.
Originally Posted by '75
There are several threads about aluminum radiators. If you search the forum for Champion, you will get a ton of posts to read.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c-3 radiators