C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 C3 interior lamps delay thought

Old 07-09-2016, 12:26 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1977 C3 interior lamps delay thought

Hi all,

A lot of you are having the same problems that I am, the delay does not work! I was told to pop dash top, find delay switch and cut 2 white and jump them to make the interior lamps work like a regular car. I don't want to go through pulling the dash top and other parts. I was looking at the factory 1977 wiring book. It seems like I can just cut a white wire on each door pin, then splice a wire from one door pin switch to the other behind the gauge panel. That bypasses the delay and gets you & me straight on and off interior lamps.
Has anyone here done that?
I remember having this same car new, always waiting for the delay to shut the interior lamps so I wouldn't worry about a dead battery. To me, it was always an issue. Please let me know.
Thanks
Jax
1977 L-82

I thank you all, but I knew how to do it the way of removing top. My dash top is older but like new clean with no cracks or squeaks coming out of it. All I was asking was the 2 white wires you jumped above the tach/speedo on the timer switch are from the right & left door pin switches? For me it would be easier to take off one white wire from each door pin and run a new wire across the under dash and connect where I disconnected the white wires at the pins. Just curious before I did it, if it would do the same as disconnecting the switch. My car has the timer.
Thanks
Jax

Last edited by xkeots; 07-09-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Better explanation
Old 07-09-2016, 12:31 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The orange delay box is usually behind the glove box, it is very easy to access and you can jumper the two white wires right there, or you can buy a new delay box.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:10 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 1,011 Posts

If your 77 came equipped with the ZX2 Convenience Group it then had the delay of the interior lights, this was an option. If equipped, there is no reason to cut any wiring to bypass the timer. On the 1977, again, if equipped, the timer is located above the speedometer under the dash pad. Knowing my car was equipped with the ZX2 option and the interior lights operating like a non ZX2 option car I found this. The timer relay (silver unit to the right) was completely disconnected and a jumper installed in the plug. This is how you bypass the delay timer.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:46 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by bmotojoe
On the 1977, again, if equipped, the timer is located above the speedometer under the dash pad. Knowing my car was equipped with the ZX2 option and the interior lights operating like a non ZX2 option car I found this. The timer relay (silver unit to the right) was completely disconnected and a jumper installed in the plug. This is how you bypass the delay timer.
joe

Just for clarfication, 1977 ZX2s, the timer delay relay is above the speedometer under the dash versus under dash on the passenger side. Peterbuilt above notes it's behind the glove box...but that's 1978.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:19 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

On the 1977 yes under the dash above speedometer. The timer delay looks identical to a heavy duty flasher relay. Unlike the 1978 that is a electronic timer relay , the 1977 is a totally mechanical electric switch. Internally, when a door opens completing the circuit a heater spring inside the relay heats up and expands keeping the circuit closed. After a door closes the circuit then opens and the spring in the relay slowly cools and contacts inside the delay timer then open and the interior lights turn off.
Not related to the interior lights but part of the ZX2 option, there is a lamp on the inside of the rear bumper shining on the spare tire tub assembly. When the headlight switch is pulled to the parking lamp (or first position) a lamp will shine giving you the "convenience" of light pulling your spare tire out at night. haha, true.

Last edited by bmotojoe; 07-09-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:28 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
The orange delay box is usually behind the glove box, it is very easy to access and you can jumper the two white wires right there, or you can buy a new delay box.
On 79 and later. No glove box on 77. The interior lamps fader is between tach and speedo under upper dash top. I am trying to avoid possibly cracking dash top.
Jax
Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Here it is, it's taped to the harness between the speedo and tach. It can be accessed by lowering the steering column and then partly remove the left lower dash pad. The white wires plug together when it's removed.
This one is good if someone is looking.

Last edited by '75; 07-09-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:03 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by '75
Here it is, it's taped to the harness between the speedo and tach. It can be accessed by lowering the steering column and then partly remove the left lower dash pad. The whit sires plug together when it's removed.

The timer on the 77 was like a jumper... If you didn't have one the two connectors just plugged together in the dash main. If you did have one you just jumper those two connectors with the timer.

The following users liked this post:
chucks (07-10-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 05:09 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The timer on the 77 was like a jumper... If you didn't have one the two connectors just plugged together in the dash main. If you did have one you just jumper those two connectors with the timer.

Is there any way to jump the 3 wire drivers door switch and make it a 2 wire? Lots more solid 2 wire door jamb switches. I have gone through 4 of the 3 wire door jamb pin switches. They are crap.
Thanks
Jax
77 L-8/
Old 07-12-2016, 05:10 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=xkeots;1592614946]Is there any way to jump the 3 wire drivers door switch and make it a 2 wire? Lots more solid 2 wire door jamb switches. I have gone through 4 of the 3 wire door jamb pin switches. They are crap.
Thanks
Jax
77 L-82
Old 07-26-2016, 08:12 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

Ok, I did that jumper wire, ripped my arms up and I now have interior lamps like a normal car but now my dash lamps went out. Could it be from that jumper wire or could I have popped off the instrument wire from headlamp switch?
Thanks
Jax
77 C3
Old 11-07-2023, 11:10 AM
c.martin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If your 77 came equipped with the ZX2 Convenience Group it then had the delay of the interior lights, this was an option. If equipped, there is no reason to cut any wiring to bypass the timer. On the 1977, again, if equipped, the timer is located above the speedometer under the dash pad. Knowing my car was equipped with the ZX2 option and the interior lights operating like a non ZX2 option car I found this. The timer relay (silver unit to the right) was completely disconnected and a jumper installed in the plug. This is how you bypass the delay timer.

is all you do unplug and bridge it or do you have to do something with the relay and the wire attached to it?
Old 11-07-2023, 11:33 AM
stevedinino
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

You could bridge the two white wires as shown in the pic above and it will work like a normal, non-delay car.

You could also just remove the add on harness and plug the two white wires together above the speedo. That’s how the car was set up without the delay option. I don’t like unused open plugs behind the dash, so that’s what I did.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:31 PM
c.martin
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevedinino
You could bridge the two white wires as shown in the pic above and it will work like a normal, non-delay car.

You could also just remove the add on harness and plug the two white wires together above the speedo. That’s how the car was set up without the delay option. I don’t like unused open plugs behind the dash, so that’s what I did.
do you leave the delay timer grounded?
Old 11-07-2023, 02:56 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c.martin
You can leave it or remove it's your call.
Personally I would remove that complete harness if it's not going to be used.
Fewer unused dead end connectors is a good thing.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:10 PM
stevedinino
Racer

No, my delay unit was dead so I took out the whole harness. That left just the two white wires that plug in together.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:46 PM
c.martin
Advanced

You can leave it or remove it's your call.
Personally I would remove that complete harness if it's not going to be used.
Fewer unused dead end connectors is a good thing.
do you know where the orange wire runs to from the harness? also what gauge wire did you use to jump it

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 C3 interior lamps delay thought

Old 11-07-2023, 07:39 PM
stevedinino
Racer

The orange wire runs to the fuse block. It plugs into one of the open sockets there. Those are designed to allow accessories (like this delay, cruise, etc) to plug in and get power without splicing.

Just unplug it, and then remove the ground lead. Then the harness should just come right out.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:57 PM
c.martin
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevedinino
The orange wire runs to the fuse block. It plugs into one of the open sockets there. Those are designed to allow accessories (like this delay, cruise, etc) to plug in and get power without splicing.

Just unplug it, and then remove the ground lead. Then the harness should just come right out.
ok thank you. what gauge wire did you use as a jumper?
Old 11-07-2023, 10:06 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

ok thank you. what gauge wire did you use as a jumper?
The jumper wire on my photo was already there.
You don't need a jumper. Disconnect the 2 white wire connectors from the timer relay and plug the 2 main dash wire connectors together. You now have the courtesy lights wired like the factory did it without the delay timer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1977 C3 interior lamps delay thought