C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with EFI play around with oxygenated fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 01:35 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Anyone with EFI play around with oxygenated fuel?

I recently learned about the existence of oxygenated racing fuel; really interesting stuff. Seems like the big issue is that if you're using a carburetor, it requires bigger jets to deliver more fuel to make up for more O2 --for going to the track I guess you could just swap your street carb for your race carb that's setup to run on oxygenated racing fuel, BUT... This seems like the kind of thing that an EFI system could fairly readily adapt to.

Anyone with an EFI actually played with oxygenated race fuel for track days or dyno days just to try for a high HP run?

How long does it take the EFI to figure it out and adjust the "fuzzy logic" Air-to-Fuel-Ratio profiles? -Is there a way to manually reconfigure the EFI for oxygenated fuel so you're not burning $20 a gallon oxygenated race fuel just to calibrate the EFI?

It's just such a neat idea to me; was wondering how this actually works in practice.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 07-17-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:53 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

If you read the article below it comes across as being more complicated than a carburated set up where you increase jet sizes 2 to 4 numbers. It does not sound like the ECM is going to figure things out on it's own.

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories...g-differences/
Old 07-19-2016, 12:55 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Betting many go straight to E85 and run more compression/boost
Old 07-19-2016, 01:29 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
If you read the article below it comes across as being more complicated than a carburated set up where you increase jet sizes 2 to 4 numbers. It does not sound like the ECM is going to figure things out on it's own.

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories...g-differences/
I read that article to be saying the exact opposite of what you you said; they said to adjust the fuel side of the fuel map by 5-7 percent; that's exactly what a self-learning EFI is supposed to automatically do, right?. The o2 sensor in the exhaust should see the air to fuel ratio getting leaner and add more fuel to compensate. Even if it doesn't, a quick fuel remap with 6% more fuel saved to a "race" profile is an easy enough change.

I really can't wait to play with this stuff.... Christmas can't come soon enough!

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 07-19-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone with EFI play around with oxygenated fuel?

Quick Reply: Anyone with EFI play around with oxygenated fuel?