C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any help on bizarre '69 radio behavior?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:56 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Default Any help on bizarre '69 radio behavior?

I posted this in Audio to get some input from the experts, but no help. Thought Id try here:

My '69 roadster has been an amazing car to drive since it was restored. Its biggest weakness has always been the stereo. Car has stock sidepipes. The stereo was junk when I bought it. I eventually bought a stock '69 stereo unit and it always sounded horrible.

At one point, I had the stock radio converted to modern insides with a lead for iPod. Added slim 4x? Polk speakers inside the stock kick panels, and it was installed with ugly box rear speakers just to make it work. It was horrible.

Here I need to make something clear... I probably have the lowest expectation for stereo performance in North America. I don't want a pricey super booming system, I just want the radio to function properly so I can sorta hear it.

So, seeing what so many people have done in the C3 section, I bought the bigger Polk speakers that mounted cut into the kick panels, and had a Kenwood powered amp installed. It wasn't perfect, but it was 100% better. Sounded decent.

Today (day 2) I was driving and I was at a light thinking how good it sounded, playing Enter Sandman. I turned it up a bit, not a lot. The radio just stopped, clunk.

Went home, assuming I blew a fuse. What I could see, fuse was OK. My buddy who installed said the radio had a thermal system that would shut off when too hot and would reset when cooled. PS, the amp remote light stayed on, indicating it was still on. Also, it was 90 degrees, felt much hotter. Heat advisory...it was hot so a heat explanation sounded right.

Later this evening I checked it. When I turned the radio on, the stereo light came on, something it did not do before, leading me to rule out a fuse. But, there's still no music. And, the stereo light goes off almost right away. No music plays through the iPod, either.

Does it need longer to cool? Is this system doing what it should? Is there a "reset" that needs to be done manually? Another repair? Is the radio a paperweight? Does this story make any sense at all?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-help.html

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 07-21-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:03 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

blew one of the boards probably. no radio or ipod is probably power board not getting power or signal or something, if it was one channel or just no input that'd be different but it's getting power in but not dropping down for the low power side maybe.

open it up and look for burn marks. if it had a thermal limit it would have reset in a matter of minutes...who did the conversion? can you send it to them to fix? otherwise it's likely junk unless you know how to trace circuits and test/replace components.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:13 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

In all of this radio and amp and speaker switching have you been making sure the radio/amp has the same ohm rating of the speakers you are using?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Couple of questions-

How is the radio wired to the amp?

Were pre-amp RCA plugs added- or was a line level adapter used(see below)?

Either way the radio should not overheat- a thermal shut off would occur IF a speaker was directly connected to the radio- which you don't have.

The Line level adapter- takes the speaker outputs and drops them down to a level the Amp can use- it puts NO load on the radio's output. If that piece has jumped ship then it could possible be your problem.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:30 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Take the Ipod with a cable that splits to an RCA connection. Unplug the stereo from the AMP and plug in the Ipod.

Any change? If you get sound at least you know the AMP to speakers is working and the issue is with the head unit. If not it's an AMP issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Any help on bizarre '69 radio behavior?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any help on bizarre '69 radio behavior?