C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Cowl Induction hood conversion (1976)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:26 PM
jobber26
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C3 Cowl Induction hood conversion (1976)

I'm sure this subject has been kicked around, probably to death, but I was wondering if anyone of the C3 Heroes out there have converted a 1976 Corvette hood to FUNCTIONAL cowl induction and possibly any performance gains? I guess I am like everyone else and would gladly (grinning & rubbing my palms together) take any free horsepower that could be found. I'm thinking if cowl induction REALLY worked, we might be seeing it on every single performance application out there. Response?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:54 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a '72 so I can't respond to a '76 body modification question, but there's nothing for you in this one. Your engine is already taking in cold air from ahead of the radiator. There's a difference for engines taking in air from the engine compartment, but, again, this wouldn't apply to you. If by your comment "...if cowl induction really worked..." you mean a ram-air effect, then the answer is no -at least not in this configuration.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

The cowl induction benefit on C3s is primarily the provision of cool air (unheated by the radiator) to the carburetor. A slight hp increase, and a slight decrease in combustion detonation tendency. And pretty much every new car these days gets their induction air from outside the engine compartment for similar reasons. Pretty common thing.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

When I restored my 73 the original hood was cracked. I found a hood from a 76 which did not have the mechanical assembly but did still have the duct built in. I cut three oval holes to allow fresh cowl air in but have no sealed air cleaner. So my expectation is that while it provides cooler air underhood at speed, that is the extent of the benefit. However they way it is cut out, fabbing up a NASCAR style air box would not be difficult.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:16 PM
addballer696
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres my solution. No numbers to back anything up, but I feel like I have a bit better throttle response and a bit more power from cranking up the timing. With that, she runs like complete crap in winter with temps below 45. Also you have a lot more cabin noise, but I kind like it.

The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 04:08 PM
jobber26
Instructor

Default Whoa!!!

THAT'S KICK-***!!!! Talk about cowl induction! Phawkin' "A"!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:47 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Here's my 76 setup.

Don't have any before and after numbers, but it runs fine and I didn't notice any huge engine noise differences.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 07-26-2016 at 06:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jason Staley:
cardo0 (07-28-2016), jobber26 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Default Patent Pending?

Impressive, to say the least! Tired of working for a living? Pay the $5K for a Utility Patent and shop the prototype around or get it built right and sell to Eckler's, CC, Zip, Mid-Am, Full-Throttle, etc., etc. That is as good of a cowl plenum for the '76 as I could think up. Just a couple of questions:

1) Does you hood close properly?
2) Where did you get the parts? (I see the MATAC logo; I got that under my cockpit carpeting)
3) Does the car run any hotter/colder (temp gauge) since the snorkel front-ram air has been reversed to a full cowl induction?

Man, you ask a question and you definitely get an answer around here. Bravo, Guy.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

1) Does you hood close properly? Yes, I attached a board under my Moroso air cleaner and used modelling clay to determine the height that I needed. Then I trimmed the air pan so it had a small clearance for the weather stripping to get a nice seal against the hood. The 76 hood has a cross bar with the cable for the hood release at the back so I used a softer foam to seal against it. It only pulls air out of the two holes I made in the rear of the hood now.

2) Where did you get the parts? It's been a long time (10+ years ago) and I don't remember where I got the "tray" that I attached to the bottom of the Moroso drop base air cleaner, but here is something similar made from aluminum. Mine was fiberglass and I had to modify it to fit over/around the HEI distributor.

http://eastcoastspeed.com/i-12055298...m-air-pan.html

3) Does the car run any hotter/colder (temp gauge) since the snorkel front-ram air has been reversed to a full cowl induction? Not noticeably, my engine didn't have any overheating problems before, nor did it afterwards.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:10 AM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
Here's my 76 setup.

Don't have any before and after numbers, but it runs fine and I didn't notice any huge engine noise differences.

That is Awesome!! I was looking to do just that on my car-nice job. Do you think one of those k n filter tops would give even more air flow? Especially since the rest of the system is enclosed?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...FVFbhgodSTsHuQ

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Cowl Induction hood conversion (1976)

Quick Reply: C3 Cowl Induction hood conversion (1976)