C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rally wheel run out

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM
dntoearthman
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default rally wheel run out

Any one had any luck having the run out +-.050 reduced by shops that offer wheel repair / straightening ? THX in advance Mike
Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

For whatever its worth when I first bought my 1980 in 1980 it came with Ralleys on it. My local Tire shop gave me a life time Balance and I could bring them in once a week and they would have to re balance them every time. Keep in mind this was very spirited driving. I solved the problem by going to aftermarket 3 piece wheels (Ebsilon) at the time. I'm not so sure how true those these wheels were when they left Kelsey Hays in the first place, and I'm under the impression it doesn't take much to bend them. If you only have one bad one then a wheel shop or the local Craigs List should produce results.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I would give the tire shop a try, ask first. Buying used will be hit or miss.

My car came with cheap16 in chrome aftermarket Rallies, which turned out to be a disaster getting them to balance. Had to find a shop that does "road force" balance which simulates weight of the car while spinning, and this still is not 100%.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:14 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I was looking at the chrome rally wheels offered for sale at Corvette Central. Has anyone had any experience with their wheels? My other option was to get my original rally wheels chromed.

Get notified of new replies

To rally wheel run out

Quick Reply: rally wheel run out