C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic shifter moving freely (help please!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:58 PM
99Problems
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Automatic shifter moving freely (help please!)

I own an 82 corvette with a 700R4. I'm having an issue where my automatic shifter is moving without having to press the button down on the shifter. I can feel it moving between gears, but it is like the shifter isn't locking in place. I also cannot start the car in when it is in park. I believe it is still shifting, because I can get it into neutral and roll the car. I also had the shifter cable replaced last summer by a corvette shop. I hope it didn't already go bad.

What could be possibly causing this or where should I look first?

I appreciate any help with this!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Problems
I own an 82 corvette with a 700R4. I'm having an issue where my automatic shifter is moving without having to press the button down on the shifter. I can feel it moving between gears, but it is like the shifter isn't locking in place. I also cannot start the car in when it is in park. I believe it is still shifting, because I can get it into neutral and roll the car. I also had the shifter cable replaced last summer by a corvette shop. I hope it didn't already go bad.

Open up a side (carpet) panel. Right side is best. Look where the cable is inserted into the forward part of the shifter plate. There should be a clip that holds the end of the cable jacket firm. If it's missing or has work out of place it will allow the cable jacket to move with the cable giving the feel you describe. The under car attachment point has the same set up. If either of the clips are out it will cause this sloppy feel. With recent replacement of the teleflex cable the mech may not have pushed the retainer clip in firmly Maybe not but worth looking. The consol side panel has 3 screws.

Last edited by Aggitated Monkey; 07-29-2016 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
99Problems (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:24 PM
99Problems
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Aggitated Monkey
Open up a side (carpet) panel. Right side is best. Look where the cable is inserted into the forward part of the shifter plate. There should be a clip that holds the end of the cable jacket firm. If it's missing or has work out of place it will allow the cable jacket to move with the cable giving the feel you describe. The under car attachment point has the same set up. If either of the clips are out it will cause this sloppy feel. With recent replacement of the teleflex cable the mech may not have pushed the retainer clip in firmly Maybe not but worth looking. The consol side panel has 3 screws.
Thank you for the fast reply! I hope that is the problem, since that doesn't sound complicated to fix.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:36 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Problems

I would call the shop who replaced the cable last year and describe what is going on without being accusatory..You should NOT have to FIX something you paid a 'corvette shop' to do properly..
Q does the shift indicator show which tranny position you are in..PRD1/D2/etc?Jim
Old 07-29-2016, 05:41 PM
99Problems
Heel & Toe

I pulled the side cover off and it looks like a tab broke that is suppose to lock it into the gears. At least I'm assuming there is suppose to be a tab there. hopefully I can replace just the tab and not the whole shifter.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:47 PM
99Problems
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
I would call the shop who replaced the cable last year and describe what is going on without being accusatory..You should NOT have to FIX something you paid a 'corvette shop' to do properly..
Q does the shift indicator show which tranny position you are in..PRD1/D2/etc?Jim
I agree! I was really hoping it wasn't the cable that broke, which it isn't thankfully. I can definitely feel it shifting into each gear, I just don't have to hold the button down to do it. I'm assuming the broken tab is causing the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Aggitated Monkey (07-30-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic shifter moving freely (help please!)

Quick Reply: Automatic shifter moving freely (help please!)