C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spearco water injection

Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default spearco water injection

anybody ever use one of these spearco w/i systems? i came across one of these in my many travels and put it aside for installation later. well later was here this weekend when i installed it on my c-3. install seemed very easy with the little red container and the controller and hoses to nozzle and vacuum source. wire hook up was pretty easy. pump was the size of a roll of film. major problem was the unit did not work when i tested it. don't know how to trouble shoot this thing. was wondering if i could use some of these parts to make a system that would work. unit was new in the box and never opened. don't know why it did not work.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:25 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,873 Likes on 911 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Does pump run at all? Is it controlled by a vacuum switch? Gotta get the pump to turn on. You could use a TPS switch maybe to trigger it at WOT.

I use a Snow Performance water/meth kit on my twin turbo 555". Really nice package. Pump is HUGE and the controller works well.

JIM
Old 08-01-2016, 04:01 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default water

i jumped the pump and it works good. is controlled by a vacuum switch.i have a good friend who has the same system and he seems to think that the low vacuum (5 inches at idle,big cam) could be the problem. system has a couple adjustable screws on the controller which i'll start to adjust a little. sparco says not to mess with them very much but the system does not work now and i'm not out anything yet.i know the snow systems are great but i was trying to see if this small system would be fun to work with. i wanted to do a homemade system but i'll have to study them some more because if i mess up things could get ugly. have a pretty stout pump in the garage and this tank but thats about all so far. btw thanks for the reply.
Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Does pump run at all? Is it controlled by a vacuum switch? Gotta get the pump to turn on. You could use a TPS switch maybe to trigger it at WOT.

I use a Snow Performance water/meth kit on my twin turbo 555". Really nice package. Pump is HUGE and the controller works well.

JIM
Old 08-01-2016, 04:09 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

What vacuum level do they say they want to trigger it? If anything you'd think it would be activating early with a low vacuum big cam. Comparatively speaking it thinks you've already got your foot in it.

Most engines pull .5-1.5" at WOT....but often those systems are designed to activate at higher readings to help with part throttle operation on hills etc...maybe trigger at 7-8" for stuff with mild cams.

JIM
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default water

i have it set for a water to flow at 1700 rpm. the other setting is 1200 rpm which i thought was too low for me.controller has two settings,one for light engine loads and one for higher engine loads.complete turn of switch equals .8 inches of vacuum. i would rev the engine and nothing flowed at idle or when throttle was cracked open..
What vacuum level do they say they want to trigger it? If anything you'd think it would be activating early with a low vacuum big cam. Comparatively speaking it thinks you've already got your foot in it.

Most engines pull .5-1.5" at WOT....but often those systems are designed to activate at higher readings to help with part throttle operation on hills etc...maybe trigger at 7-8" for stuff with mild cams.

JIM
Old 08-02-2016, 01:24 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

It's supposed to flow at a set RPM regardless of vacuum? Seems like it would have a lower threshold RPM limit and then a range for vacuum. I can't imagine why you'd want it flowing with high vacuum and low RPM. You'd suck the bottle dry in no time. Usually they activate when under load..which is low vacuum and RPM climbing.

JIM
Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 AM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default water

not much said about vacuum in the instructions. it said "keep in mind that each turn of these screws is equal to approximately .8 HG. i'll fool with it a little to see if i can get it to function properly,if nothing happens i'll chalk it up as crap and file it in the junk dept.
It's supposed to flow at a set RPM regardless of vacuum? Seems like it would have a lower threshold RPM limit and then a range for vacuum. I can't imagine why you'd want it flowing with high vacuum and low RPM. You'd suck the bottle dry in no time. Usually they activate when under load..which is low vacuum and RPM climbing.

JIM
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Try it under load drive it for awhile see if the level goes down

Used a snow kit on an NA motor had an indicator light that let you know the pump was on.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 PM
cdw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default water

thanks for the reply. i'll try that. i'm working on a couple other projects right now and i'll have to get to it later. i was hoping it would start working right away but that didn't happen.being new was a plus.
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Try it under load drive it for awhile see if the level goes down

Used a snow kit on an NA motor had an indicator light that let you know the pump was on.

Get notified of new replies

To spearco water injection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spearco water injection