C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No headlights when dimming

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:35 PM
gnkjoy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No headlights when dimming

71 Vette. Lately when driving at night my headlights work normally when going from bright to dim. However after a number of cycles when I hit the dimmer to switch from bright to dim, I have no lights at all. I can then press the dimmer switch back to bright and all four headlights are on. If I park for a while the system goes back to functioning correctly. It seems like something is overheating and causing this condition.Is this likely a dimmer switch problem or something else.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Replace the Switch

I would start by replacing the dimmer switch . Easy job .

Bill
Old 08-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Sounds like it could be the dimmer switch...BUT there is also a circuit breaker in the headlight switch and if for some reason you have a bad bulb/wire on the low side the breaker will trip.

At the dimmer switch you have three wires-

Light Blue- power from headlight switch

Light Green- goes to high beams

Tan- goes to low beams

You can connect the light blue wire to the tan wire- and bypass the dimmer. If no issues- then it's the dimmer.

If issues- start by disconnecting one low beam at the time- then you can narrow it down whether a bulb or wiring.

Richard
The following users liked this post:
gnkjoy (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 10:41 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If you replace the dimmer, your problems will be history. Check the connector at the dimmer for corrosion while you're there.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by gnkjoy
71 Vette. Lately when driving at night my headlights work normally when going from bright to dim. However after a number of cycles when I hit the dimmer to switch from bright to dim, I have no lights at all. I can then press the dimmer switch back to bright and all four headlights are on. If I park for a while the system goes back to functioning correctly. It seems like something is overheating and causing this condition.Is this likely a dimmer switch problem or something else.
Had this before but my issue turned out to be a bad/poor low beam plug connection at the back of the low beam headlight. A little wiggle of the plug would cause the lights to come back on.

Get notified of new replies

To No headlights when dimming

Quick Reply: No headlights when dimming