C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Idea] Mandrel Bent, Stainless Steel Exhaust System. Do It Yourself. CHEAP!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 11:37 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default [Idea] Mandrel Bent, Stainless Steel Exhaust System. Do It Yourself. CHEAP!?

Next to a local muffler shop, I have noticed piles of exhaust systems that have been removed from late model Chevrolet trucks. When the pile gets too large, they haul them off for scrap. These pipes are 2-1/2” stainless steel and appear to be mandrel bent. Aren't the pipes removed from new diesel pickups are 3”?
If you own a chop saw and a MIG welder, I believe you could use these scraps to splice together a really nice custom exhaust system complete with mandrel bends.

This could make for an interesting project for those who like fabricating stuff and or saving money. What do you guys think about this idea?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:43 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: [Idea] Mandrel Bent, Stainless Steel Exhaust System. Do It Yourself. CHEAP!? (MIKER)

It sounds like a great project idea, if I had a chop saw and mig welder I'd be hitting the muffler shops to buy the scrap!

Quick Reply: [Idea] Mandrel Bent, Stainless Steel Exhaust System. Do It Yourself. CHEAP!?