C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum system..

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 12:21 AM
Dave Vincec
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vacuum system..

Hi guys,

Should be an easy one for anyone experienced with these cars.. How long do you think it would take to install a new system to run the,pop up lights and wiper door in an early c3?

By new, I mean the original system has been ripped out,,and this would be built up from a kit.

Many thanks for thoughts

David
Old 08-06-2016, 02:19 AM
Kirk H
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I think that is a difficult question to answer, since there are so many variables in these systems. Is your wiper door functional or is it frozen? Just rebuilding this could take a lot of time. You may be able to spray lube into all the rotation points and get it to work instead.Do you need a new wiper door canister? Do you have all the correct components ready to go?
Reaching some of the bolts that hold on the vacuum relays are a bear to get to. Do you have a vacuum system diagram that shows how they are all connected? (these are available online) If you come across stripped holes, that will take extra time to deal with as well.
Are you replacing the vacuum solenoid switch at the back of the tachometer? (that is not fun to get at).
I would guess, if all goes well, you could do this in a day, but we all know that something will always hold us up!
Old 08-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Is the vacuum reservoir tank still in place? If not and you have power brakes replacing the tank is a real bear because the brake booster has to be removed first,, not a pleasant job on a C3.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi David,
Welcome!
New Member!!
And, in Australia!!!
I also agree that although we refer to it as a vacuum system, it's really a mechanical, electrical, and vacuum system…. there are actuators, relays, electrical switches, vacuum/electrical switches, override switches and hoses.
Since both the wiper system and headlight doors are controlled from the dashboard getting things working correctly can sometimes be quite a challenge because of the difficulty of working under the dash.
In addition the actuators, and safety switches have adjustments on them that must be understood in order to have them function correctly in the system.
This results in there being lots to understand about how it works and thus what might be going on when it doesn't.
Certainly many folks are able to get the systems working nicely, but it generally takes MANY hours of work.
If you're going to undertake this pray for patience!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-06-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Dave Vincec
Instructor

[QUOTE=Kirk H;1592787646]Do you have all the correct components ready to go?

Thanks, very useful!
This is a good question.. Any idea where I can obtain a full component list?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Dave Vincec
Instructor

Or.. Should I call it a bad job and install an electric system?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:33 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I would suggest testing all your current vacuum components first.
running a new hose kit to failing components only gains you frustration.
determine what is missing, what you need to replace/repair,
a new hose kit is cheap about $100. use this information to determine if its worth it to repair current vacuum system,
or change out to something different / electric.

Last edited by 69Vett; 08-06-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Dave,

The list:
Vacuum check valve.
Vacuum filter.
Headlight actuators. (2)
Wiper door actuator
Manual over-ride switch. (2)
Relay valve. (3)
Vacuum reservoir tank.
Headlight switch.
Wiper switch.
Wiper door 3 port interlock switch.
Wiper door solenoid valve.
Wiper door limit switch.
Wiper arm control switch.
Hoses and 'T's
The mechanical components that make up the headlight door mechanisms and wiper door mechanism.

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-06-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

You need a C3 Assembly Manual and a Service Manual for your model year if you don't already have one. I use both Manual all of the time. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave Vincec
...Any idea where I can obtain a full component list?...
Originally Posted by Bigredwing
...You need a C3 Assembly Manual...for your model year...
Yep. The AIM shows the installation of all the parts of the vacuum system, the color coding of the hoses, and lists the original GM part numbers.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:23 AM
PHIL 68
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default wiper

Originally Posted by Kirk H
I think that is a difficult question to answer, since there are so many variables in these systems. Is your wiper door functional or is it frozen? Just rebuilding this could take a lot of time. You may be able to spray lube into all the rotation points and get it to work instead.Do you need a new wiper door canister? Do you have all the correct components ready to go?
Reaching some of the bolts that hold on the vacuum relays are a bear to get to. Do you have a vacuum system diagram that shows how they are all connected? (these are available online) If you come across stripped holes, that will take extra time to deal with as well.
Are you replacing the vacuum solenoid switch at the back of the tachometer? (that is not fun to get at).
I would guess, if all goes well, you could do this in a day, but we all know that something will always hold us up!
You mention a frozen wiper door and mine seems frozen I have it off and have been spraying it often but it doesn't seem to be freeing up anyone here have any ideas Thanks Phil
Old 08-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Phil,
You say you have "it off". Do you mean the door or the door and it's mechanism?
If the mechanism is still in place, is the grill off?
Is the link completely unhooked from the actuator?
Is the link to the wiper safety switch unhooked?
If you remove the mechanism from the car it's more likely that you can get it to work again since there's less constraint on the ends of the mechanism when it's free.
You may be able to free up each end separately and then work on the links for the actuator and safety switch.
While there certainly a lot of pivot points you can try to work on each one independently.
I would spray each pivot point and then use a soft brass brush to try to clean the accumulated crud that's around the pivot bushings.
Not Easy!
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

You mention a frozen wiper door and mine seems frozen I have it off
I have had some success freeing up frozen pivots by immersing one end at a time in a solution of the "mechanics friend" solution of 50-50 ATF & acetone. Just simply mix some up, stand it up on end in a small bowl. Pour enough to cover the pivots and cover it with a heavier plastic wrap to help with evaporation. Be careful where you do this..........

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum system..

Quick Reply: Vacuum system..